The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Patrick Kane Trade Talks

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Soft, slow, stupid, and selfish.  He is absolutely atrocious in his own zone and has pretty much zero chance  of ever turning into a legit NHLer.  He's worse than useless and is a major liability every time he sets foot on the ice.

It's ok, Heff.  They'll be keeping Nurse + Bouchard and losing their best prospect in Broberg.

I don't see how this is remotely feasible. First, Kane's got an NTC, the chances he waives to Edmonton are small to begin with. Secondly, Edmonton's got cap issues. Third, Edmonton has no blue chip prospects to even offer Chicago. NYI makes much more sense. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I don't see how this is remotely feasible. First, Kane's got an NTC, the chances he waives to Edmonton are small to begin with. Secondly, Edmonton's got cap issues. Third, Edmonton has no blue chip prospects to even offer Chicago. NYI makes much more sense. 

Depends if Kane wants another shot at a cup. Playing with the best in the game also has its perks when wanting to add to totals for his next contract after this season. 

DeBrincat was traded for a relatively cheap amount. 

I still think COL tries for him too 

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Soft, slow, stupid, and selfish.  He is absolutely atrocious in his own zone and has pretty much zero chance  of ever turning into a legit NHLer.  He's worse than useless and is a major liability every time he sets foot on the ice.

@IBatch::D:lol:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Perhaps Duncan Keith put in a good word of the greatness that is Edmonton.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Depends if Kane wants another shot at a cup. Playing with the best in the game also has its perks when wanting to add to totals for his next contract after this season. 

Colorado makes more sense as their leadership can minimize the character issues.  Edmonton has no veteran leadership and a locker room cancer wearing the C.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

They have more assets and more cap space than Edmonton does and if I’m Kane, I’m waving my NTC for Colorado over Edmonton 10/10 times. 

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

The more the Pacific teams improve the more the Canucks are gonna be on the bottom of the totem pole 

Minus a few semi respectable years, that is par for the Canucks for over 50 years. Why would you expect anything but?? Considering we are 3-4 years away to start a defence rebuild, then another 2 for them to click, our now talented young stars will be to old or gone. I won't go into our zero future depth in all positions waiting to make the club. 52 years is an embarrassment, just better win one within the next few decades before Buffallo does. 

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

Some recent articles on this goofy faced dummy:

"Bouchard’s 35 points at even strength in the regular season was by some distance the most by any Oilers rearguard during the salary cap era. Indeed, they were the most by an Edmonton d-man since Steve Smith scored 42 EVP in 1987-88. That takes us all the way back to the Wayne Gretzky years when normal rules re: scoring simply did not apply."

And:

"This season, Bouchard was one of only six defencemen to rank top-20 in the league in both isolated impact on even-strength scoring chances (RAPM xGF/60), and 5v5 points.

The other defencemen include Roman Josi, Cale Makar, Victor Hedman, MacKenzie Weegar, and Jaccob Slavin. Pretty decent company.

To be more specific, Bouchard ranked 4th in the league in RAPM xGF/60, and ranked in the 99th percentile; put differently, Bouchard’s impact on generating scoring chances was superior to roughly 99% of the league’s defencemen"

Notice who's name isn't on that list of defenseman?   Weager and especially Slavin, are two of the league best defensive defenders...

And this was Bouchard's first NHL season.   Maybe Kieth had something to do with it, but he's nothing like the Kieth of old is he.    Yes he needs to clean up some of his stuff in his own end ... maybe he's the second coming of Brent Sopel lol, who also had a tough time in his own end ... but at 22 he certainly isn't "garbage, slow, blah  blah blah..."   So far it looks like out of that group of excellent D's, Dahlin shouldn't have gone number one,  QHs/Dobson are fairly equal in value all considered - ones a RHD and 6'4", the other is maybe Phil Housley lite because he doesn't score goals.  

Bouchard has a bomb from the point and certainly looks like he's got a shot at their PP soon.   IF that happens lol, 60-70 points is for sure within his reach. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

"Bouchard’s 35 points at even strength in the regular season was by some distance the most by any Oilers rearguard during the salary cap era. Indeed, they were the most by an Edmonton d-man since Steve Smith scored 42 EVP in 1987-88. That takes us all the way back to the Wayne Gretzky years when normal rules re: scoring simply did not apply."

And:

"This season, Bouchard was one of only six defencemen to rank top-20 in the league in both isolated impact on even-strength scoring chances (RAPM xGF/60), and 5v5 points.

The other defencemen include Roman Josi, Cale Makar, Victor Hedman, MacKenzie Weegar, and Jaccob Slavin. Pretty decent company.

To be more specific, Bouchard ranked 4th in the league in RAPM xGF/60, and ranked in the 99th percentile; put differently, Bouchard’s impact on generating scoring chances was superior to roughly 99% of the league’s defencemen"

Notice who's name isn't on that list of defenseman?   Weager and especially Slavin, are two of the league best defensive defenders...

And this was Bouchard's first NHL season.   Maybe Kieth had something to do with it, but he's nothing like the Kieth of old is he.    Yes he needs to clean up some of his stuff in his own end ... maybe he's the second coming of Brent Sopel lol, who also had a tough time in his own end ... but at 22 he certainly isn't "garbage, slow, blah  blah blah..."   So far it looks like out of that group of excellent D's, Dahlin shouldn't have gone number one,  QHs/Dobson are fairly equal in value all considered - ones a RHD and 6'4", the other is maybe Phil Housley lite because he doesn't score goals.  

Bouchard has a bomb from the point and certainly looks like he's got a shot at their PP soon.   IF that happens lol, 60-70 points is for sure within his reach. 

@King Heffy :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

And:

Yep, I don’t get the hate on for Bouchard he’s nowhere near that bad or slow. :lol:

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

And:

@IBatch
@aGENT

Since when do facts matter against the King’s declarations?

Off with ye heads!

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

@IBatch
@aGENT

Since when do facts matter against the King’s declarations?

Off with ye heads!

I bug @IBatchabout Bouchard because he was VERY high on him that draft and while I agreed he would likely put up points at the NHL... He is pretty one dimensional and not a great skater, pretty meh defensively and I felt there was better options there (there was). And while those offensive stats are certainly impressive... You do have to consider the team/team mates he's playing with a bit there.

It's sort of a running joke we have :lol:

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

The problem is his defence, not his offence.  I don't care what kind of analytics BS you throw out there, I've seen him play and the way he plays in his own zone is nowhere close to acceptable regardless of offensive output.  He disgraced his country with his play at the WJHC after being gifted a spot he did nothing to earn, and he still hasn't learned how to stop being a complete liability.  We clearly differ as to whether or not a defenceman who can't play defence has a place in the NHL.

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I bug @IBatchabout Bouchard because he was VERY high on him that draft and while I agreed he would likely put up points at the NHL... He is pretty one dimensional and not a great skater, pretty meh defensively and I felt there was better options there (there was). And while those offensive stats are certainly impressive... You do have to consider the team/team mates he's playing with a bit there.

For sure. I just joke because I like to encourage @King Heffy to break free from his shyness and speak his mind for once   :bigblush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is his defence, not his offence.  I don't care what kind of analytics BS you throw out there, I've seen him play and the way he plays in his own zone is nowhere close to acceptable regardless of offensive output.  He disgraced his country with his play at the WJHC after being gifted a spot he did nothing to earn, and he still hasn't learned how to stop being a complete liability.  We clearly differ as to whether or not a defenceman who can't play defence has a place in the NHL.

Don't think we're that far off actually Hef :lol:

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Patrick Kane Said To Be “Plan A” For the Edmonton Oilers

August 19, 2022 by Jim Parsons

•  

According to Oilers Now host and color commentator for the Oilers Bob Stauffer, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t done making moves. They’ve had a busy offseason with the additions of Jack Campbell and Mattias Janmark, plus extensions for Evander Kane and Brett Kulak, but there’s more to do. Noting that they weren’t done regardless of what the Calgary Flames did with their roster, that the Flames have put together an arguably better team by adding Nazem Kadri, Mackenzie Weegar and Jonathan Huberdeau, — despite losing Johnny Gaudreau, Mathew Tkachuk, Erik Gudbranson and Sean Monahan — the Oilers now see they’ve got some competition in the Pacific Division this coming season. The Battle of Alberta is back on and one has to wonder what else can the Oilers do to improve their team and take a run at the Stanley Cup?

With rumors that the Chicago Blackhawks might be willing to move the player, Patrick Kane seems to be the primary target. 

Why Patrick Kane in Edmonton?

While talking to 

Stauffer on Oilers Now, Sportsnet analyst Gene Principe said he thinks Patrick Kane should be Plan A for the Oilers and gets giddy over the idea of Kane playing with Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and other forwards on this team. He notes that players love the idea of playing with those guys and competitive NHL’ers want to win. In Edmonton, Kane would have that chance. 

Noting Kane is from Buffalo, which is a similar blue-collar city to Edmonton, Principe says, “I have no doubt, in my mind, unless there are some extenuating circumstances that we don’t know about, that Patrick Kane would come to Edmonton for sure and I would take Phil Kessel as Plan B.” Noting that Kessel could eat all the hot dogs he wants and still score 30 goals along those Oilers forwards, Stauffer agreed that he’d like to see one of those two guys on the Oilers roster and added, “Why wait until the trade deadline, do it now!”

Kessel would be much cheaper an option, but Kane is the ideal fit. 

ADVERTISING
Why Kane Is the Right Fit for the Oilers

If there’s one thing the Oilers need heading into this season, and an addition that could put them over the top, it’s a little more depth at right wing. Kane doesn’t just provide depth, he’s arguably the best right-winger in the NHL. His cap hit would be manageable too, assuming Kane is willing to come, the Oilers can get a third team involved (both the Blackhawks and that team retaining salary) in the deal, and Edmonton can move a couple of pieces around. 

Related: NHL Rumors: Flames, Avalanche, Canadiens, Oilers

ADVERTISING
The expectation is that a rebuilding Blackhawks organization will eventually trade Kane before the 2023 NHL Trade Deadline. Really, they’ve traded almost everyone else and Kane is a pending UFA at the end of the season. They want prospects and draft picks. The Oilers have that to give. Meanwhile, if the Oilers are as competitive a team as many insiders believe they will be, this could be the season GM Ken Holland goes all in. 

Willing to Trade a First?

Holland has held onto his first-round picks throughout his entire tenure as the Oilers’ GM. Unlike other teams who have mortgaged their future to be competitive now, Holland has left a number of his high-end prospects in the system and Edmonton looks like they’ll be a competitive group for years to come. This could be the season he finally moves a first if the right player is there for the taking. 

It would be hard to imagine a better player for the Oilers as a rental than Kane. He’s dynamic, he’s ideal for a playoff run and he’ll be motivated playing alongside players of his skill level and better. That’s a rare situation for a player of his caliber to be in and it would be hard to argue against trading a first if the opportunity to do something is there. 

Keep in mind, the Oilers will still have a number of high-end prospects on the roster, even if they have to put together an attractive package to appease the Blackhawks. The money isn’t an issue if the two teams are there and willing to make a deal work.

Up Next - Red Wings 2022 World Juniors Standouts - Eemil Viro

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2