The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Tomas Hertl

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He won't likely be a 1C for most of that contract.

OK 2C and 3C as Petey and others take over. 

Not with your plan it isn't.

don't know what this means. 

Using what little succession players we have to dump contracts is a BAD idea.

the only succession player in that group is Hoglander, who is struggling under BB. We also have Linus Karlsson and and Lockwood who could fill in nicely where Hog's left off, so there actually is a succession plan if we can use Hog's to shed salary.

Petey, Hughes, Demko and whoever else we add between now and then (ideally a couple of whom are on D) with a side helping of Horvat, Hogs, Podz etc.

Not being able to retain quality depth around the core (see: EDM), not having cap to acquire the next Miller, not having cap to retain RFA's needing raises, not having cap to sign/trade the put you over the top guys when we're actually contending.

mmm... 1.5 mil does all that?

I get where you're coming from, but I think you're too baked in to there being just one way to fix the holes on the team, and again, where's that C depth going to come from? We're just way too thin to lose Miller and I don't see who's available as a UFA e.g. to step in. I sure as hell don't want to pay Kadri 7 million. 

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's got nothing to do with scared, it's got everything to do with being smart and capacity limits at concerts and sporting events is a big part of that.  There's no way they are going to keep overloading the healthcare system and pushing the workers past their breaking points.  Doubtful we'll shut down again, but I'll bet we see capacity l;imits in Canadian cities, at least, next winter

Totally agreed.   It's almost entirely based on the math of the vaxxed and not vaxxed.    The fear point of view comes from the anti-vaxxers more then anyone.   Fear of genetic manipulation.  Or big brother watching you.   And an inability to follow the science.   They've made some good points along the way but not really in the the way they think...why would big pharma stop creating better vaccines?   Because they can make more money selling ones that are just good enough, and very expensive drugs like Stelera to handle the symptoms.   Took a week to create the vaccines.   That's how simple the science really is.   My only beef about how Canada has handled the pandemic is why they haven't invested in infrastructure to help for the next time.   At least Quebec is thinking a little clearly on that front.   All of ONE new company to help with these things in the future.   Yes i get its always been a battle between hospitals been able to keep up with it too.    But the amount of fear created out of this is also a little over the top.    What is actually scary is global climate change and what happens when our planet runs out of oil.    Well and what going on in the Ukraine right now.   Anyways - enough about that stuff.   At least we all have hockey to connect each other, including those Ruskies right? 

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

only beef about how Canada has handled the pandemic is why they haven't invested in infrastructure to help for the next time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-science-economic-development/news/2021/03/the-government-of-canada-makes-historic-investment-to-strengthen-canadas-biomanufacturing-sector.html

Today, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, together with the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Health, announced an investment of up to $415 million to support Sanofi Pasteur Limited (Sanofi) in building an end-to-end influenza vaccine manufacturing facility in Toronto, Ontario. This new facility will ensure drug product formulation, fill-and-finish and inspection. As part of this project, Sanofi will invest more than $455 million as well as create and maintain 1,225 highly skilled jobs in Canada. The Government of Ontario will also invest $55 million, making this a $925-million project. In addition, the company will also invest at least $79 million a year to fund Canadian research and development

Over the last 12 months, the government has made investments of more than $1 billion to advance industrial research and development in vaccines and pharmaceuticals as well as expand biomanufacturing capacity. It will continue enhancing pandemic preparedness today and in the future by making Canada more self-sufficient while reducing exposure to possible future economic impacts and supply chain challenges.

Quotes

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-science-economic-development/news/2021/03/the-government-of-canada-makes-historic-investment-to-strengthen-canadas-biomanufacturing-sector.html

Today, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, together with the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Health, announced an investment of up to $415 million to support Sanofi Pasteur Limited (Sanofi) in building an end-to-end influenza vaccine manufacturing facility in Toronto, Ontario. This new facility will ensure drug product formulation, fill-and-finish and inspection. As part of this project, Sanofi will invest more than $455 million as well as create and maintain 1,225 highly skilled jobs in Canada. The Government of Ontario will also invest $55 million, making this a $925-million project. In addition, the company will also invest at least $79 million a year to fund Canadian research and development

Over the last 12 months, the government has made investments of more than $1 billion to advance industrial research and development in vaccines and pharmaceuticals as well as expand biomanufacturing capacity. It will continue enhancing pandemic preparedness today and in the future by making Canada more self-sufficient while reducing exposure to possible future economic impacts and supply chain challenges.

Quotes

That's exactly what we should be doing. Thanks Gurn!

2 hours ago, tas said:

dressing rooms without voices that people are willing to follow don't win. 

Neither do ones with boat anchor contracts, no depth, no succession plan etc. Nobody's suggesting we don't need players like Miller.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

OK 2C and 3C as Petey and others take over. 

A $9m 2C, likely trending to 3C.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

don't know what this means. 

Prospects, picks... players capable of supporting the core on cheap ELC's. Not going to happen with you trading all of them away and not acquiring any.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

the only succession player in that group is Hoglander, who is struggling under BB. We also have Linus Karlsson and and Lockwood who could fill in nicely where Hog's left off, so there actually is a succession plan if we can use Hog's to shed salary.

A few months of struggling, in hi sophomore year is not that concerning. You don't dump players like that. Karlsson and Lockwood are your succession plan at F....? And D?

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

mmm... 1.5 mil does all that?

No $9+m does that.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I get where you're coming from, but I think you're too baked in to there being just one way to fix the holes on the team, and again, where's that C depth going to come from? We're just way too thin to lose Miller and I don't see who's available as a UFA e.g. to step in. I sure as hell don't want to pay Kadri 7 million. 

Again, this is not about "replacing Miller". YOU are too fixated on that. Petey is largely going to have to do that internally, over time, anyway. We can't/shouldn't pay Kadri $7m any more than we should pay Miller $9m. Stop looking for quick fixes. What are you, a millenial? :P

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Neither do ones with boat anchor contracts, no depth, no succession plan etc. Nobody's suggesting we don't need players like Miller.

LIke the Loser Leafs with Tavares?  We definitely don't want to do that.  

On 3/16/2022 at 6:06 PM, JM_ said:

the thing for me is, we don't even know if we can afford to clear off the mediocre cap hits JB left us. I just don't want to move Miller AND have that inefficient cap too. 

I think we need to lose boeser or garland if were paying that kind of money. 

If you want to lose guys guys like Dickenson and poolman you still have to replace them with ufas probably  ....not saving as much. 

If we had youth that could do there job then fine. 

There has to be a sacrifice somewhere.  I say garland because hes more tradable than Brock. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

they don't grow on trees. 

and someone should let florida know they don't have a chance with bobrovsky's contract. 

Edited by tas
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

Every team is looking for a centre who can play like Miller.  We have and should definitely keep him.  Big, skilled, hyper compete, mean, PK, PP, great on draws, and leader.  What can't he do?  Work the cap so we can afford to pay Miller 9 per.  Can't lose such an important and irreplaceble player.

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think we need to lose boeser or garland if were paying that kind of money. 

If you want to lose guys guys like Dickenson and poolman you still have to replace them with ufas probably  ....not saving as much. 

If we had youth that could do there job then fine. 

There has to be a sacrifice somewhere.  I say garland because hes more tradable than Brock. 

How much do Lammiko and Hunt make?  I am 100% confident we can replace Dickinson and Poolman with better and cheaper players.  We can save 3 million with these two being gone.  Move out Garland for picks/prospects and that's 8 million.  Plenty enough to re-up Miller, Bo, and Bess.

11 minutes ago, tas said:

and someone should let florida know they don't have a chance with bobrovsky's contract. 

No, they don't. Still doesn't mean we should be extending him for $9m in to his late 30's and screwing up our contention window.

Florida's going to have a lot of fun with that contract once Barkov's raise kicks in next year and Huberdeau and Weegar are both due the year after. With Bob's contract on the books, they're going to have a hell of a time keeping that all together. Just as we would if we were to sign Miller to a $9m deal.

PRECISELY WHY WE SHOULDN'T DO THAT.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much do Lammiko and Hunt make?  I am 100% confident we can replace Dickinson and Poolman with better and cheaper players.  We can save 3 million with these two being gone.  Move out Garland for picks/prospects and that's 8 million.  Plenty enough to re-up Miller, Bo, and Bess.

I think your a little to optimistic.   

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

A $9m 2C, likely trending to 3C.

Prospects, picks... players capable of supporting the core on cheap ELC's. Not going to happen with you trading all of them away and not acquiring any.

A few months of struggling, in hi sophomore year is not that concerning. You don't dump players like that. Karlsson and Lockwood are your succession plan at F....? And D?

No $9+m does that.

Again, this is not about "replacing Miller". YOU are too fixated on that. Petey is largely going to have to do that internally, over time, anyway. We can't/shouldn't pay Kadri $7m any more than we should pay Miller $9m. Stop looking for quick fixes. What are you, a millenial? :P

OK Boomer :P

I'm not very high on Hog's, its true. I'm getting strong Baertschi vibes. 

I am pretty excited to see what Karlsson can do though, he's having a heck of a year. 

• Haha 1