The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Tomas Hertl

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Biden Confused GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

... how are those 2 situations in any way comparable lol?

Pretty standard stuff. Hughes is elite. Hertl is not. The only difference is age and Hertls pending UFA status 

• Cheers 1

Man that organization is going to be in a heap of trouble with so many high ticket contracts and a slew of RFA's that are looking for deals this summer.

Burns -  8 mil with 3 years remaining

Karlsson - 11.5 mil with 5 years remaining

Couture - 8 mil with 5 years remaining

Meier - 10 mil QO next summer

Vlasic - 7 mil with 4 years remaining.

I love Hertl but 8x8 is steeeeeeep. And that team is going to be a boat load of cap trouble soon.

70-point 2-way centre... the contract is not that far off.

It's definitely not a bargain but for a team going nowhere, he likely wasn't going to take a discount.

Just doesn't seem wise for a team that should be rebuilding.

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

Pretty standard stuff. Hughes is elite. Hertl is not. The only difference is age and Hertls pending UFA status 

Yeah... major difference in age, contract status, and position...but they are comparble.

ok? :unsure:

Edited by kanucks25

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Man that organization is going to be in a heap of trouble with so many high ticket contracts and a slew of RFA's that are looking for deals this summer.

Burns -  8 mil with 3 years remaining

Karlsson - 11.5 mil with 5 years remaining

Couture - 8 mil with 5 years remaining

Meier - 10 mil QO next summer

Vlasic - 7 mil with 4 years remaining.

I love Hertl but 8x8 is steeeeeeep. And that team is going to be a boat load of cap trouble soon.

DOG Wilson’s slowly been burying the Sharks for a few years now. Nothing new, hah

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think this means 9M minimum for Miller. Hertl is like a Miller-lite. He’s below a PPG this year. 

He is getting 46% ozone starts to Miller's 56%. Meaning he has more of a defensive load to bear that Miller doesn't. I know that stat isn't the end all be all. But a large portion of the best scoring players have near 60% ozone starts. And San Jose doesn't have the top 6 we do. Petey, Boeser, Horvat and Garland are all pretty much studs. I know people are down on Boeser but he's still a good top 6.  We also have OEL and Hughes. Their blueline was good 5 years ago.

Hertl is playing with Alexander Barabanov and John Leonard/Rudolph Balcers. Ever heard of em? Don't answer, cause you probably haven't. Other than Balcers I have no clue who the other two are and I feel pretty dialed into the who's who of each team. If they swapped teams Hertl's numbers would be way up and Miller's would be around where Hertl's are.

Long story short, we shouldn't just base Miller's value on points per game. 7.5-8mil per would be good for Miller. If not, shop him and move him. I love the guy but he's not worth 9mil per.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Yeah... major difference in age, contract status, and position...but they are comparble.

ok?

Yeah they are, ones a better player and more valuable the other just got an overpaid retirement contract. I see no reason why I can’t compare the 2.

Well that makes it difficult for the folks thinking that Miller could be had for $7.5 million x 6 years.

The only thing Hertl has going for him is he is a year and a half younger than what Miller would be when his extension would kick in.

By every other meaningful metric, Miller blows him out of the water.  Nobody in the league takes Hertl over Miller for the same contract number.

Miller is for sure at least a $9 million dollar player on  a long term contract.  On the other side, with Hertl off the market… Miller’s trade value now and in the offseason just blew up even more.

Could you imagine a world where we make the playoffs, win a round or two, Miller keeps playing at his monster pace as a playoff hero?  Suddenly, if he doesn’t extend with us, a team could be given permission to have extension talks and our trade return dwarves even the most optimistic packages that are out there now.

We get the best of both worlds.

Dare to dream.

PS.  Has Kane had an arbitration case yet about his unfair termination?  Shouldn’t the Sharks know they aren’t going to be on the hook for his cap hit before they start spending money?  Or are they spending all their money assuming it forces the league to bail them out if they lose that case and end up owing Kane most of the salary.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He is getting 46% ozone starts to Miller's 56%. Meaning he has more of a defensive load to bear that Miller doesn't. I know that stat isn't the end all be all. But a large portion of the best scoring players have near 60% ozone starts. And San Jose doesn't have the top 6 we do. Petey, Boeser, Horvat and Garland are all pretty much studs. I know people are down on Boeser but he's still a good top 6.  We also have OEL and Hughes. Their blueline was good 5 years ago.

Hertl is playing with Alexander Barabanov and John Leonard/Rudolph Balcers. Ever heard of em? Don't answer, cause you probably haven't. Other than Balcers I have no clue who the other two are and I feel pretty dialed into the who's who of each team. If they swapped teams Hertl's numbers would be way up and Miller's would be around where Hertl's are.

Long story short, we shouldn't just base Miller's value on points per game. 7.5-8mil per would be good for Miller. If not, shop him and move him. I love the guy but he's not worth 9mil per.

A lot of what you said doesn’t line up to this year.

We have studs on paper but they haven’t been studs all year or even for the most part. Big gap between Miller and the rest of the forward roster this year in terms of points and performance. 

We haven’t a lot of scoring out of our defence throughout the year save for Hughes who’s only been consistent on that front. 

He’s been the guy and the only guy a lot of times this year and has been playing like a top player despite a lot of handicaps this year. 

Offence doesn’t even account for everything else he brings which ups his value even more. 

9M for Miller is the low end. He’d come in around 9.5M easy if he was a UFA this year at the rate he’s playing. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah they are, ones a better player and more valuable the other just got an overpaid retirement contract. I see no reason why I can’t compare the 2.

Because contracts are determined by using comparables and these two players aren't comparable whatsoever.

But anyway, moving on lol.

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Because contracts are determined by using comparables and these two players aren't comparable whatsoever.

But anyway, moving on lol.

When looking at date, time, position etc. Agree 100%. Sorry I wasn’t on the same page but that how I see it. Should revoke my comparison?