The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | March (20-26) 2022

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not sure we can catch the Oilers or the Kings. They don't seem to have bad stretches as of late. They seem to bounce back. Even with Doughty out the Kings are still a good and experienced team. 

Golden Knights on the other hand are a bit more of a mess with injuries.

Dallas is the team we have to worry about since they seem to be okay with playing with key guys out and they have games in hand being already ahead. They just jumped ahead of the Golden Knights for the 2nd Wildcard spot too with that win over the Oilers.

None of this will matter if we don't play well the next 7. Better hope Vegas still have key guys out or don't catch fire before they play us, they play Seattle twice and the Hawks before they play us. 

The Preds are 10 up and the Stars have games in hand. Plus even the Jets are on fire lately.

Forget about the wild card it’s the third spot we’ve gotta catch. Oilers just dropped two in a row. Sure they’ve been good lately but let’s not forget that Koskinen is a streaky goalie and they had some horrible stretches earlier in the season. That’s our best hope now.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I said it before look at the games in hand with the wild card teams. We weren’t catching them anyways.

The 3rd slot is the one we need to be eyeing.

You did, but it's a bit more interesting to track it all 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

:lol:  Soilers give up 3 late and lose :lol:

Get ready, Alf.  With the Oilers seeming to be about to hit a losing streak again, I have a feeling April 28, 2022, and April 29, 2022, will be 2 of the most consequential days in Canucks and Oilers history.  We both have back-to-backs against Southern California teams first and then we play each other in Edmonton.  That game on Friday night in April will mean absolute joy and elation for one and total devastation and darkness for the other.  That. Friday. Night. in April....all the marbles, perhaps even the future for the next decade at least, of both franchises, likely on the line.  I think Dallas will have sewn up the final wildcard by the time we hit the ice in Edmonton.  Winner of our game gets 3rd in the division and plays the Kings.  The loser...well...like I said, rough times await them, indeed.  I would bet that Miller and McDavid's futures in Vancouver and Edmonton are decided by this game as well.

Think this game is more consequential than Game 7 1994 or Game 7 2011 really.  Both of those, it was pretty clear we were likely going to come up short.  That.Friday.Night. In. April. Game though, total coin flip.

As an aside, my tingly spider senses are telling me we are going to get at least 3/4 points against the Avs and Wild.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Time will tell whether we've got the most talented Hughes

Not that I'm remotely unhappy with Quinn

But man does Jack look like a top talent 

Jersey will always be a lottery team with two Smurfs as their top centers.  Jack should be playing wing.  He's not a center.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jersey will always be a lottery team with two Smurfs as their top centers.  Jack should be playing wing.  He's not a center.

Dunno man, he's inproved every season and is over ppg this season, if this continues he'll crack ppg for his career sooner than later

Jersey has talent despite their record 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno man, he's inproved every season and is over ppg this season, if this continues he'll crack ppg for his career sooner than later

Jersey has talent despite their record 

Jack can't defend below the dots.  He's got lots of skill and does great with the puck when attacking, especially from wing.  He'd be way better (not more points) defensively if he played with a heavy bodied center who could do the hard work below the dots in his own zone.  Love to see Jack on Bo's wing.  But really Jack is paid a couple million too much.  He's Ehlers.   

• Upvote 1

Vegas crumbling, honestly I don't see them pulling themselves together, they're in the middle of a free fall and as much as you want to blame injuries, they've got Eichel out there 20 minutes a night getting shut out daily. The dangers of adding a character to an already-stacked and decent locker-room.

Meanwhile Dallas crack open a tight game in 24 seconds, highlighting the Oilers defensive woes. They're underlying, even after a solid game last time around against the Avs. Look who's defending the GWG - McDavid coming back weak. Same on the GWG against the Avs. 

Shame for the Canucks because that last wildcard spot was our best bet at getting in but Dallas are coming on strong and have games in hand. Maybe our best chance is actually 3rd in the division which is 7 points out though. We are watching a Vegas free fall, we'd almost need the Oilers to do the same. Anything could happen though.

We basically need a 5 game winning streak to get into the chat again.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jack can't defend below the dots.  He's got lots of skill and does great with the puck when attacking, especially from wing.  He'd be way better (not more points) defensively if he played with a heavy bodied center who could do the hard work below the dots in his own zone.  Love to see Jack on Bo's wing.  But really Jack is paid a couple million too much.  He's Ehlers.   

Maybe, but defense can be taught, and as an offense first player he won't be called upon for defense the way less offensively gifted players will. He's still young enough that he should be able to grow his entire game, he could get to the point where his defense is proficient enough. It's not uncommon for young players, even the offensively gifted ones, to struggle with defense. Quinn is figuring it out, I'm sure Jack will too. They're smart players. 

I do think Jack got that contract too soon, but I also think he could get close to justifying it, if not fully justifying it at some point. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Vegas crumbling, honestly I don't see them pulling themselves together, they're in the middle of a free fall and as much as you want to blame injuries, they've got Eichel out there 20 minutes a night getting shut out daily. The dangers of adding a character to an already-stacked and decent locker-room.

Meanwhile Dallas crack open a tight game in 24 seconds, highlighting the Oilers defensive woes. They're underlying, even after a solid game last time around against the Avs. Look who's defending the GWG - McDavid coming back weak. Same on the GWG against the Avs. 

Shame for the Canucks because that last wildcard spot was our best bet at getting in but Dallas are coming on strong and have games in hand. Maybe our best chance is actually 3rd in the division which is 7 points out though. We are watching a Vegas free fall, we'd almost need the Oilers to do the same. Anything could happen though.

We basically need a 5 game winning streak to get into the chat again.

Not just a winning streak - teams ahead need to lose games too otherwise there would be no change to the standings.  

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yeah, when was the last time a team won with a 1C under 6 feet?...

cut.jpg

point-stanley-cup.jpg

...Oh. :mellow:

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, when was the last time a team won with a 1C under 6 feet?...

cut.jpg

point-stanley-cup.jpg

...Oh. :mellow:

Who was their other top two centre?  And Point is tough.  Something little Jack will never be.  Accept facts.  Jack Hughes and Nico Heischer are little baby mcsofties who will never make the playoffs.  Too small, too scared, too selfish.  Losers will lose, and that’s the Devils.