The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Dermott | #24 | D

-AJ-

Here's the context of the trade that I will take away and look back on when the hindsight analysis begins in a year or two:

1-fits age profile JR/PA are looking for.

2-traded on the same day Hamonic, an older player, was sent out. Out: $3.0M cap hit for 2021-22 and 2022-2023; In: $1.5M cap hit for 2021-22 and 2022-23; net cap gain of $1.5M.  Cap savings at this time is very valuable for the Canucks.

3-LHD, with one more year left on contract and RFA at its expiry.  Could very well allow Rathbone one more full season of development in the AHL before he's ready to make the jump to the NHL.  So Dermott may quite possibly be a placeholder for Rathbone, and a tradeable asset at 2023 trade deadline.

4-gives the team depth on the left side of the defence.  With Schenn, Juulsen (as long as he re-signs by July 2022), and Burroughs, this adds some balance to the backend on the third pairing.  At the very least, he'll be able to send Hunt packing to Abby for the rest of this season.

5-could very well turn out to be one of those players who works out for the Canucks (i.e., "a good fit").  Allvin is said to be a pro scout extraordinaire, so we'll see what sort of chops he's got with this deal.  Not a bruiser, but at least Dermott tips the scales at 205 pounds.

If I'm not mistaken, nos. 24, 26, 27, 28, 29 are available (though 28 is unofficially retired). I hope they don't give him Rathbone's no. 3. I would like to see Dermott take no. 32 (reverse of 23 that he's worn in Toronto).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

205 pounds at 6' tall is a solid guy.  He's got the ideal hockey build.  Lots of weight below the waist.  I think he's going to do really well for us.  

Nice size, a good skater with decent hockey sense.  BB will do wonders with him.

• Like 1