The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Dermott | #24 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Watching his first game with us,.  It’s just after the 2nd p.

Dermott moves very well, and is quicker than I expected..

he is quick to keep the check/ gap tight,

has great shut down angles, strong on his feet..

but I really like the way he dosent keep still,.  He “roves” and crosses zones really well, always leaving a defensive pass outlet.

I like him..  first impression,. But perhaps an upgrade on Hamonic in many ways.

Yeah the gap control was very impressive
He just seemed so calm the whole night too, never out of position, never flustered.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah the gap control was very impressive
He just seemed so calm the whole night too, never out of position, never flustered.

Dermott took a lot of minutes that OEL was having to play, and OEL was a lot better because of it.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Dermott took a lot of minutes that OEL was having to play, and OEL was a lot better because of it.  

I think OEL played his full 22-23 minutes tonight, but maybe got some easier minutes instead of having to take 100% of the hard minutes

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

I think OEL played his full 22-23 minutes tonight, but maybe got some easier minutes instead of having to take 100% of the hard minutes

In fact, OEL played more than he played in any of the four prior games tonight with 23:21.

• Cheers 1

Didn't notice him at all, which is a really good thing for a defensive-style defenceman.  Ok, I shouldn't say I didn't notice him at all, I did see him separate the puck from Avalanche players quite frequently along the boards.  Knows how to use his body, that's for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Didn't notice him at all, which is a really good thing for a defensive-style defenceman.  Ok, I shouldn't say I didn't notice him at all, I did see him separate the puck from Avalanche players quite frequently along the boards.  Knows how to use his body, that's for sure.

Dermott has the ideal hockey body.  He's not too tall and has a low (and heavy) center of gravity.  Add to that he's an excellent skater, and he's going to be a player for us providing he accepts he's not an offensively gifted guy.  He can't try and do too much, which was his issue in TO.   Is Dermott tough enough (mentally) to play that way night in a night out?  Does he have Troy Stecher's mindset?    

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does he have Troy Stecher's mindset? 

I would be perfectly satisfied if the Canucks brought Stecher back next year. You always know what you are getting from Troy from Richmond; a 100% effort every night who can play top four minutes when called on. 

15 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I would be perfectly satisfied if the Canucks brought Stecher back next year. You always know what you are getting from Troy from Richmond; a 100% effort every night who can play top four minutes when called on. 

Yah imagine if we bring Stecher back for like 1.5 mill to solidify that 6th spot and we get a guy like Manson which could be doable with the cap.  We could have a top 6 with the likes of:

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Manson

Dermott-Stecher

That is a damn good D in my opinion.

• Like 1

He did just fine last night, so hopefully that's not just a bonus of the whole team playing one of their best games of the year. I think he might be a solid player in the right role so hopefully we can shore up/get the performance we should out of the rest of the D.

He said himself he relies on his mobility and does get some nights where if he isn't moving his feet, he struggles. I could see him having the odd night where he tries to do too much as well, particularly if he's playing above his depth, but this could be a good new start where we see more out of him than before as well.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Sadly ( an way to early to judge ) but  I just didn't notice him

Sometimes it's a good thing and from what I've read about Dermott, it might be particularly good because while he is effective at making higher risk defensive plays by being aggressive on zone entries, when he makes a mistake it's glaringly obvious.  If he wasn't noticeable, then hopefully that means he's at least being quietly effective in his own zone.

35 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Sometimes it's a good thing and from what I've read about Dermott, it might be particularly good because while he is effective at making higher risk defensive plays by being aggressive on zone entries, when he makes a mistake it's glaringly obvious.  If he wasn't noticeable, then hopefully that means he's at least being quietly effective in his own zone.

Actually, I can't agree with this.  He did make two big giveaways in our D zone tonight, one of which almost cost us a goal against.

7 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Actually, I can't agree with this.  He did make two big giveaways in our D zone tonight, one of which almost cost us a goal against.

They were pretty awful:  glaring unforced errors.  It happens to everyone and I'm not saying he's no good, but there needs to be a lot of steady play to compensate for that sort of stuff. 

11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Sadly ( an way to early to judge ) but  I just didn't notice him

To be fair, I remember rarely noticing Hamhuis out on the ice when he was here; yet, that was a good thing.

So whether or not this is a good sign of a bad sign..... I don't think that really means much of anything at this point. If he's not a point producer, perhaps this is actually a good thing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, I remember rarely noticing Hamhuis out on the ice when he was here; yet, that was a good thing.

So whether or not this is a good sign of a bad sign..... I don't think that really means much of anything at this point. If he's not a point producer, perhaps this is actually a good thing.

that's exactly how Dermott needs to see himself too.  He needs to accept he's a defensive guy.  I think we got him at just the right time in his maturation as a player.  He must know now what he is, and how he has to play to be an NHL player.  Stay home defensive D.  He could become a Tanev if he has the will to play that way.  

On 3/24/2022 at 11:45 AM, Alflives said:

Dermott has the ideal hockey body.  He's not too tall and has a low (and heavy) center of gravity.  Add to that he's an excellent skater, and he's going to be a player for us providing he accepts he's not an offensively gifted guy.  He can't try and do too much, which was his issue in TO.   Is Dermott tough enough (mentally) to play that way night in a night out?  Does he have Troy Stecher's mindset?    

I have some exposure to Dermott being in Toronto, albeit I don't follow the Leafs directly I am friends with a lot of Leafs fans. Gap control and high defensive IQ was consistent - and these are guys who played pretty high level junior. 

His play was never bad - he wanted a bigger role but instead got moved as a random utility player as the other pairings are set. It is understandable that the Leafs would want to develop a Sandin-Liljegren pairing and he wasn't knocking Muzzin or Rielly out of the top 4. Holl is a natural right side D so he was just an awkward fit. He also had to spend 60% of his time on the right side which is hard for a left handed young dman. 

He will get some pressure from Rathbone coming up next year but I like a guy who is flexible to play both sides and is reliable

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1