The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Wild trade Jack McBain to Coyotes for 2022 2nd-round pick

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Meant to say Arizona*

I completely forgot we sent our 2022 2nd to the Yotes. I thought we only sent a 1st round pick their way. 

Truly astonishing how many picks we’ve given up the last 3 years, only to be nowhere near competitive with a depleted prospect pool. Good lord

This was always JB’s problem. So many times he wasn’t able to unload players for picks, frustrating since you could just use that cap space to replace them. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

No one wants our picks??? Now I'm getting suspicious - should we want our picks?!! Maybe Benning was on to something... :P

He was on something all right!

Every time I see Rasmus Andersson  playing...........I start grinding my teeth!

1 hour ago, Gator said:

So Coyotes give up a 2nd for a guy likely to not want to play for them? I mean if you say no to the Wild, how tf do you say yes to the worst franchise in the league (on sooo many levels)? 

No, they gave up the 2nd because he said he would sign with the Coyotes. Coyotes don't make this move if they can't get McBain under contract.

I'm a little surprised he said yes to being a Coyote. That said, I'm pretty sure the Coyotes basically guaranteed a roster spot and that is something not all NHL teams can give to a college player so he probably said yes because of that. He'll get plenty of opportunities with the Coyotes to succeed at the NHL level.

Weird to see the Coyotes flip the Canucks pick. According to CapFriendly, before this trade, the Coyotes held 5 second round picks including their own and picks from the: San Jose Sharks, New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, and Vancouver Canucks. (They also have 3 first round picks holding the picks of Colorado and Carolina in a conditional manner). With this said, it seems like they dealt the Canucks pick because it'll be the latest 2nd round pick they're holding. It feels like a good indication that the league believes the Canucks have a better chance at making the playoffs than some parts of CDC/Canucks media... 

2 hours ago, Gator said:

So Coyotes give up a 2nd for a guy likely to not want to play for them? I mean if you say no to the Wild, how tf do you say yes to the worst franchise in the league (on sooo many levels)? 

Arizona state campus, and guaranteed roster spot has entered the conversation. 

Per Russo.  The Wild gave permission to McBain's camp to talk to the different teams.  Guerin made it clear that he wanted a list of several teams that he would be willing to sign with.  Not just 1 team or he will make him wait till he reaches UFA - ie preventing him from burning a year now.

McBain didn't want to sign with the Wild because he felt they were set at C for the foreseeable future and didn't want to end up C4.