The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kraken trade Mason Appleton to Jets for 2023 4th-round pick

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Kraken trade Mason Appleton to Jets to 2023 4th-round pick
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Kraken trade Mason Appleton to Jets for 2023 4th-round pick

Who is running the show at the Kraken?

Sending Appleton ( who has a particularly good set of wheels) back to Winnipeg for a 4th??? That is a terrible decision. 

Good money bet that 4th never plays a single NHL game.

I just dont get the decision. 

The whole Expansion draft and now  TDL deals are very strange.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

Sending Appleton ( who has a particularly good set of wheels) back to Winnipeg for a 4th??? That is a terrible decision. 

Ron Francis is a terrible hockey exec

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

Arbitration eligible RFA with 1 year to free agency.  Not seen as part of their core so no value to try and extend him.  They are looking to build through the draft per Clark.

Seattle only took players with little term in the expansion draft - they couldn't do like Vegas because GMs were more cautious so instead it's now that they are working towards acquiring draft picks. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

Francis is a loser GM. What an absolutely crappy expansion draft, and a guy who is now trying to rebuild already.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Arbitration eligible RFA with 1 year to free agency.  Not seen as part of their core so no value to try and extend him.  They are looking to build through the draft per Clark.

Seattle only took players with little term in the expansion draft - they couldn't do like Vegas because GMs were more cautious so instead it's now that they are working towards acquiring draft picks. 

If this were true, Francis would've taken on more draft picks than what he did. Apparently he turned down 2nd round picks and lower because he had set a ludicrous price for teams. This ended up handicapping himself/pricing himself out of the market.

People can make excuses for Seattle's expansion draft, but selecting Bayruether for CLB, only to let him walk less than two weeks later is hilariously bad. This is just one of many blunders.

Seattle tried to build itself defensively, but interestingly, they are at the bottom of the standings. I knew they were going to be bad just from looking at the start of it, and I'm no exec. People were lying to themselves that they were built well.

24 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If this were true, Francis would've taken on more draft picks than what he did. Apparently he turned down 2nd round picks and lower because he had set a ludicrous price for teams. This ended up handicapping himself/pricing himself out of the market.

People can make excuses for Seattle's expansion draft, but selecting Bayruether for CLB, only to let him walk less than two weeks later is hilariously bad. This is just one of many blunders.

Seattle tried to build itself defensively, but interestingly, they are at the bottom of the standings. I knew they were going to be bad just from looking at the start of it, and I'm no exec. People were lying to themselves that they were built well.

They had to take 30 players and not all were going to earn a roster spot - better to let someone walk then to have an unnecessary contract on the books.  Vegas took 3 UFAs to be - Thorburn, Brickley and Berube directly walked to free agency a few days after being picked in expansion. Reinhart and Pulkinen never played for Vegas and took up 2 spots in the AHL.

Grubauer was a Vezina finalist and has struggled this season.  He was protected in expansion but Colorado failed to extend him and Seattle then signed him as a UFA.  Doesn't feel like they did enough of a proper due diligence.  

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

No wonder our new VP wanted out of there.

• Cheers 1