The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Feel Good Story: Mackenzie Scott Donates $12B to Charity, 1,257 Groups Total

• StanleyCupOneDay changed the title to Feel Good Story: Mackenzie Scott Donates $12B to Charity, 1,257 Groups Total
1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

she was married to one of the most evil billionaires of all time, jeff bezos since 1993. I would be feeling a little guilty too.

she gave up like a quarter of her wealth, but still holds onto like 36 billion dollars of blood money. 

When she gives up another 35 billion i will start to feel like this is a feel good story.

Yet people keep buying from Amazon......

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

she was married to one of the most evil billionaires of all time, jeff bezos since 1993. I would be feeling a little guilty too.

she gave up like a quarter of her wealth, but still holds onto like 36 billion dollars of blood money. 

When she gives up another 35 billion i will start to feel like this is a feel good story.

Can you see the good in anything ?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

If the tax code wasn’t so upside down she might only be worth $25B, practically living in poverty. 
Good she is giving so much away and to worthy causes but would rather see a tax code that has the rich contributing to the health of the country and the world rather than lobbying for rules to make them richer and less responsible for the damage they do. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet people keep buying from Amazon......

And people still will so long as it's more convenient for them.

I get the whole notion of boycotting Amazon, but that's ultimately such a small dent in these companies that there has to be a better way than that.

It's nice to see something positive happening like the donations though at least.

Edited by The Lock

But she could have built a space dink for that :picard:

Good for her, must feel good to be doing all this. It is probably harder than people think, for every funding decision there's likely a dozen more than deserve it too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

She (a woman) has given up so much more money than 99.99 percent of all men. Should we not be happy that a billionaire is trying to improve the world? Every other billionaire has pretty much opted to expand their wealth, or to spend it on luxury goods like luxury cars, huge mansions, and what not.

Being rich, she can do whatever she wants. She can be selfish and live her life with money flying around. She is choosing to give back (sure, maybe for the PR purposes), but she's giving it almost right away, not like some other billionaires that take their sweet time in letting go of the money.

And then there are some billionaires like Bezo that have donated very little (if at all).....

One more thing I just remembered. She's secure enough to re-marry a regular dude. https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Billionaire-MacKenzie-Scott--Bezos--Ex--Marries-Seattle-Science-Teacher/5-2432799/

TBH I've never heard of this lady before.  Super rich and she married a regular guy.  I wonder if he's still teaching?  

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Serious question: why come to what's supposed to be a feel good story with something that a billionaire's doing that not enough billionaies do and literally downplay 12billion dollars? It honestly kind of baffles me people would have your mentality of this here. Like, do you think anyone who wins the lottery should donate all of that to charity as well?

nope. i dont think that.

i think scum billionaires that inflicted so much pain on this world should be forced to give up thier money. wth hell do they need multi billions for? what good in the world does having billions of dollars invested for one person? 

am i supposed to be happy that she gave up a quarter of her wealth? why? she has 36 billion dollars still left, its not even a sacrifice. this literally will have zero impact on her quality of life.

the same thing about marrying a teacher, like why is that even mentioned?. she doesnt need anyone else money ever. she could get married 6 more times in her life giving half her money in the divorce and still be a billionaire.

there is plenty of great people in this world that never succumbed to greed, greed is a deadly sin. as long as she is holding onto 36 billion dollars, she is greedy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

nope. i dont think that.

i think scum billionaires that inflicted so much pain on this world should be forced to give up thier money. wth hell do they need multi billions for? what good in the world does having billions of dollars invested for one person? 

am i supposed to be happy that she gave up a quarter of her wealth? why? she has 36 billion dollars still left, its not even a sacrifice. this literally will have zero impact on her quality of life.

the same thing about marrying a teacher, like why is that even mentioned?. she doesnt need anyone else money ever. she could get married 6 more times in her life giving half her money in the divorce and still be a billionaire.

there is plenty of great people in this world that never succumbed to greed, greed is a deadly sin. as long as she is holding onto 36 billion dollars, she is greedy.

So then does this mean that someone who actually tries and fix things (ie. the billionaire donating 12 billion dollars) should be scolded? She's literally doing what you want her to do. It might not be as much money as you want, but she is doing it.

If this is your mentality towards this, you need to learn to give credit where credit is due, otherwise you'll never get anywhere in your argument. This isn't about 1 big battle. This is about a bunch of small battles tha move towards what you want.

TLDR: You're going about this the entirely wrong way if you ever want to accomplish any of this.

• Cheers 1

I didn't realize she was giving away that much.  Charitable donations should get press when they are large.  Not the "peanuts" that usually get tossed.  Saw a couple of the large one:

MacKenzie Scott makes a record $275 million donation to Planned Parenthood  

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/23/1088390733/mackenzie-scott-donation-planned-parenthood

MacKenzie Scott Gives $436M to Habitat for Humanity — and Local Chapter Initially Thought It Was a 'Hoax'

When Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia first learned that there was a philanthropist who wanted to learn more about the nonprofit, they didn't believe it was real at first

https://people.com/human-interest/mackenzie-scott-makes-436-million-donation-to-habitat-for-humanity/

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

Petey_BOI yelling at Mackenzie lol 

200.webp?cid=ecf05e476d53bcrjxigrbnuuf4l

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So then does this mean that someone who actually tries and fix things (ie. the billionaire donating 12 billion dollars) should be scolded? She's literally doing what you want her to do. It might not be as much money as you want, but she is doing it.

If this is your mentality towards this, you need to learn to give credit where credit is due, otherwise you'll never get anywhere in your argument. This isn't about 1 big battle. This is about a bunch of small battles tha move towards what you want.

TLDR: You're going about this the entirely wrong way if you ever want to accomplish any of this.

i actually dont think i am.. i think me sitting here throwing a fit when people are sitting love struck for one of the greediest people of all time is the right thing to do. because every time someone mentions a billionaire that gives up money as good thing forgets what that person did to get there. how many lives were ruined, even died (yes people died because of this greed) and they give away 1/4 of thier eternal wealth and thier sins are abolished, and we should treat them like gods? 

sitting here applauding her only accomplishes one thing, and that is putting these greed monsters on a god like pedestal. which they dont deserve

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i actually dont think i am.. i think me sitting here throwing a fit when people are sitting love struck for one of the greediest people of all time is the right thing to do. because every time someone mentions a billionaire that gives up money as good thing forgets what that person did to get there. how many lives were ruined, even died (yes people died because of this greed) and they give away 1/4 of thier eternal wealth and thier sins are abolished, and we should treat them like gods? 

sitting here applauding her only accomplishes one thing, and that is putting these greed monsters on a god like pedestal. which they dont deserve

It's whatever you make of things in the end, but know that just because you "think" something, it doesn't mean it's right and I think one day you're going to get a rude awakening with this attitude of yours. I sincerely mean it. Your mentality is not healthy in life itself and I have had friends go into severe depression from it. Take care of yourself.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It's whatever you make of things in the end, but know that just because you "think" something, it doesn't mean it's right and I think one day you're going to get a rude awakening with this attitude of yours. I sincerely mean it. Your mentality is not healthy in life itself and I have had friends go into severe depression from it. Take care of yourself.

thanks for the tips. i do agree ignorance is bliss.

but get off your high horse buddy, who makes you the decider of correct mentality. you must forget the saying it takes all types. I for one won't be a sheeple idolizing fake gods, you do you though.