The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes watch...Coming after Lidster

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's got 15 games to get 10 points, very do-able for Quinn. 

Yep, he's going to blow away assists and points in a season and career.  The only competition he would have really had is if we had either Babych or Reinhart for most of their careers.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to diminish Quinn too much, but it really goes to show how poorly we been at acquiring legit D talent over our franchise's history. Although we've had some really good ones as well. Don't want to diminish the players of past either. Lol.

When it comes to scoring defensemen we've only really had two primo talents in Babych and Reinhart and in both cases got them after their prime.  And obviously never a Leetch or MacInnis 100 point type.  These guys were 70-80 point players.  Everybody I listed in the OP was a hell of a player but Hughes is the first of his type to wear a Canucks jersey when he wasn't on the back nine of his career.

Babych and Reinhart both topped out at around 6th place for the Norris Trophy.  Hughes will be a finalist.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to diminish Quinn too much, but it really goes to show how poorly we been at acquiring legit D talent over our franchise's history. Although we've had some really good ones as well. Don't want to diminish the players of past either. Lol.

At the same time, you're not wrong. We've never had a Norris-calibre defenceman.

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm wondering what the ceiling is for Hughes? 

Not just for points but for his overall play.

Better than Makar.  Smarter, and passes the puck to move it instead of skater, so a better defensive player.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

A PPG defender that although a bit undersized, makes up for it through smarts and skating.  A bona-fide franchise #1 defenceman and Norris finalist or winner.

27 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Does Aucoin have the goals record? 

Yep, and I remember from back when it happened that he scored in his first ever regular season game and his first playoff game.

Anyway, he's the only Canucks D-man with a 20 goal season.

Aucoin - 23

Doug Halward - 19

Rick Lanz - 18

Paul Reinhart / Dale Tallon / Jyrki Lumme / Ed Jovanovski - 17

Kevin McCarthy / Jocelyn Guevremont - 16

Bob Dailey / Kevin McCarthy / Jocelyn Guevremont / Rick Lanz - 15

Meanwhile...  Paul Coffey - 48

Dave Babych is the only Canucks D-man to ever score a hat trick.

Kind of a shame that nobody ever talks about and most people don't even know who Rick Lanz and Doug Halward are.  Still #2 and #3 plus a run to the final for both of them in Canucks colors (Lanz was injured).

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

The player that has come to mind for me since his rookie year was Phil Housley.  Housley was a Norris finalist once, top five for the trophy maybe four times or so.  Over 1200 career points.

I think Hughes won't really come close to Housley's career points but will probably be a Norris finalist a few times before it's all said and done.

Seems thus far like Makar and company will be the Leetch caliber guys a half step above Hughes but...most of the book has yet to be written.

I personally have Hughes at a better than 50% chance of being a Hall of Famer so...not much to complain about really if he only turns out to be something like the 5th best defenseman of his generation.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

We are so spoiled as hockey fans to see this right now.

Hughes at 22 with 53 points isn't even in the top 7 in NHL scoring, and we're not even talking just offensive players.  These are all guys with solid defensive acumen and they're all just killing it on the scoreboards.

Josi and Makar are and have absolutely walked away with it, but Makar might top out as a + 45 or better on the season it's absolutely unreal how good this kid is.

We're blessed to have Hughes but I am greedy and want more.