The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HNIC Colour Commentators

Rate this topic

Sportsnet should be able to afford way better talent in the broadcasting booth than what they have right now. I don't have anything personal against them, but Singh and Campbell especially aren't suitable for national broadcasts. Campbell I feel is smart enough to provide useful insight but as you mentioned, she's an unabashed Flames homer. Singh seems like a nice guy but he can't even keep up with the play most of the time.

That insane sequence yesterday where Demko made a scorpion pad save and Lindell hit the post was made 100% better by Shorthouse's commentary. Imagine Singh and Campbell calling that moment, probably would have killed the excitement of it entirely.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

pls tag me the next time you rant, this was hilarious, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it :lol: I can see some of your points, but I guess it just doesn't bother me as much. Many people criticize Campell, but actually she's one of my favorite, just because I like the sound of her voice so much. As long as your voice doesn't irritate me, I don't really care who's in the booth.

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Sportsnet should be able to afford way better talent in the broadcasting booth than what they have right now. I don't have anything personal against them, but Singh and Campbell especially aren't suitable for national broadcasts. Campbell I feel is smart enough to provide useful insight but as you mentioned, she's an unabashed Flames homer. Singh seems like a nice guy but he can't even keep up with the play most of the time.

That insane sequence yesterday where Demko made a scorpion pad save and Lindell hit the post was made 100% better by Shorthouse's commentary. Imagine Singh and Campbell calling that moment, probably would have killed the excitement of it entirely.

Neither Singh nor Campbell are suitable for continued employment.  Their complete lack of professionalism is a disgrace to the network, the sport, and the country as a whole.  I don't expect HNIC to ever force them to conduct themselves appropriately since Rotten Ronnie was allowed to retain his job after using the broadcast as a platform to criminally slander Burrows.  TSN needs to get the next contract.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Is there anybody else out there who is fed up with the likes of Garry Galley, Craig Simpson and Cassie Campbell-Pascall? It used to be that the colour person spoke during stoppages in play and offered brief comments that supported the play-by-play. In recent years, though, the trend is for the colour people to offer instant analysis of plays we have just witnessed with our own eyes. Simpson talks for easily a full minute every time Toronto scores, endlessly dissecting a play that took maybe four seconds to develop. He also is a walking encyclopedia of everything every Leafs says, does or thinks and he shares them with his captive audience, most of whom exercise their mute button every time he opens his mouth to glory in his beloved Leafs.

Galley is the king of woulda, shoulda, coulda as he critiques every play that results in a chance or a goal. He also projects what he thinks the players are thinking, as if he had a direct line into their brains. "Matthews is thinking here that Marner is open, but he knew he was being checked so he slid it to the open man." How does Galley know what Matthews is thinking, if, indeed, Matthews is even thinking at all. Most of all he loves the sound of his own voice and I'd be willing to bet his commentary takes up far more time than the actual play-by-play.

Campell-Pascall, who lives in Calgary and who is the wife of Calgary's AGM, sees the world from only a Calgary perspective. No matter what happens on the ice we are subjected to an interpretation from a Calgary viewpoint. If Horvat scores, then the talk is about how Markstrom made a valiant effort to stave off the lucky goal. If a Flame elbows MccDavid in the head, well, you have to play him tough. If Johnny Gaudreau didn't actually invent hockey, he was surely in on it. I wonder what she'll say when Markstrom is injured late in the season because of, you know, overwork?

Now, I have no problem with these folks doing their regional broadcast to disciples of the home team, but they all need to understand that their role on a national broadcast is to err on the side of neutrality. I would also be critical of John Garrett, who is an unapologetic homer, but he rarely gets a national broadcast. He is perfectly suited to covering Canucks games for Canucks fans. I guess I am becoming more like my dad all the time; for years he simply muted the whole game because he couldn't stand the mindless chatter that hockey broadcasts have become.

Last year I wrote to Sportsnet, telling them pretty much everything I have said here. I got a nice "Thanks for sharing" type of response, so I am sharing their contact email here: feedback@sportsnet.rogers.com 

Maybe more of us should make it known that regional colour commentators (read: homers) are fine for regional broadcasts, but that national broadcasts require a more equitable approach.

Rant over.

Very well said and bang on. I've been complaining of the exact same issues. Even my wife has taken note of the crap they are spewing. Shorty was on fire last night. Cheech is as big a Canucks homer there is, but even he toned it down for the national broadcast. Ron, Cassie and Simpson are embarrassing the sport and themselves. Hrudey, Dave Poulin aren't far behind. 

Cassie Campbell was a great hockey player, is a great Canadian and a great ambassador for women's hockey. That being said she offers nothing to the game as a broadcaster, it's actually quite painful to listen to her. There are several excellent women candidates but she is not one of them.

Edited by AriGold
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Now, I have no problem with these folks doing their regional broadcast to disciples of the home team, but they all need to understand that their role on a national broadcast is to err on the side of neutrality. I would also be critical of John Garrett, who is an unapologetic homer, but he rarely gets a national broadcast. He is perfectly suited to covering Canucks games for Canucks fans. I guess I am becoming more like my dad all the time; for years he simply muted the whole game because he couldn't stand the mindless chatter that hockey broadcasts have become.

I agree with everything you've written.  Hockey broadcasts are horrible.  Only commentators I enjoy listening to are Bieksa, Friedman and Marek.  Everyone else, I turn off or tune out.

As far as Garrett is concerned, he rarely gets a national broadcast because he sucks.  He repeats everything 3-4 times.  Can't wait for him and all the others to go away.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Rant over.

1 hour ago, Rubik said:

pls tag me the next time you rant, this was hilarious, ...

I also enjoyed the rant.  And I agree. Observing homerism is something I have been doing for a long time and it can be amusing. 

And I agree about John Garrett. He is fun to listen to for Canuck fans (like me),  partly because he obviously is a Canuck fan too. He looks like a fan and sounds like a fan and he shares the emotional ups and down of the game with fans.  And he is likeable. He is great for the local regional broadcast. But, as the OP says, he is an obvious homer. If 50 is neutral and 100 is total homerism, I put Garrett at about 80. (I have certainly heard more extreme homers.) 

I agree that it would be good to have neutral commentators on national broadcasts but don't hold your breath. 

Note to OP: Don't worry too much about starting act and sound like your Dad.  It happens to most of us. The time to worry is when you start sounding like your grandfather. (I was going to say mother instead of grandfather but I figured that would get me into trouble with the usual group.) 

Edited by JamesB

58 minutes ago, rekker said:

Very well said and bang on. I've been complaining of the exact same issues. Even my wife has taken note of the crap they are spewing. Shorty was on fire last night. Cheech is as big a Canucks homer there is, but even he toned it down for the national broadcast. Ron, Cassie and Simpson are embarrassing the sport and themselves. Hrudey, Dave Poulin aren't far behind. 

I believe his 15 minutes of fame were up when Gretzky was traded to the Kings years ago. Listening to him, talk about him, is excruciating. I like how Garrett tells it like it is, especially last nights game when Radulov knocked Demko over, no call, and basically asked, "what's running the goalie"? If there ever was a case for that type of call, that moment was there.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I rarely watch the show in between the periods.  If Bieksa is on, I mute the TV until makes and

appearance.  I refuse watch or listen to Ron or Kelly ever.

As for colour guys prefer Garrett, cause I'm a homer Canuck fan.  The others, I don't pay much

attention to.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I believe his 15 minutes of fame were up when Gretzky was traded to the Kings years ago. Listening to him, talk about him, is excruciating. I like how Garrett tells it like it is, especially last nights game when Radulov knocked Demko over, no call, and basically asked, "what's running the goalie"? If there ever was a case for that type of call, that moment was there.

That, and the stupid, baby blue bandanna Hrudey wore were his claim to fame. Now, just another Flames homer. Ironic that it was Hrudey who said that Markstrom will never be a starter. I mean, who the hell says that! On National TV no doubt. It was just after that Markstrom went on to establish himself as one of the NHLs best.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I have to admit that in the last while I have not paid much attention to hockey (in general), and HNiC in particular. I have been spending more time watching baseball, and the play-by-play and colour commentators are pretty much a delight to listen to, regardless of the team which employs them.

Case in point, a few nights ago, I was watching a 9 inning game which was already over by the bottom of the 5th, with the home team stomping the visitors. The home team guys calling the game were doing anything to try to keep fan interest, ears and eyes on the game. By the top of 7th inning they were discussing the best freeway route for driving to get to the stadium for the following day's away game.

Once a particular route was agreed upon (factors considered: time, possible traffic congestion, etc), the conversation then evolved into what kind of food do you want to get for lunch while en route? One guy wanted a burger, while the other guy wanted chili, and neither could agree that the other guy's restaurant of choice could properly make what that guy wanted to eat.

The conversation then became a further discussion of economy of time/distance; if you started from the same point, and travelled to each of the restaurants, which would allow you to get to the ballpark in time for the game? One location permitted a direct route to the park, while the other required a certain amount of back-tracking, so by the bottom of the 8th, it was finally decided that they were going to get burgers....

Glorious.

regards,  G.

CBC Toronto doesn't give a crap about this market, they know we'll watch so they trot out people like Cassie to draw in people outside of our market. The fact that we have home games and have to deal with Alberta mouthpieces says it all. 

42 minutes ago, JM_ said:

CBC Toronto doesn't give a crap about this market, they know we'll watch so they trot out people like Cassie to draw in people outside of our market. The fact that we have home games and have to deal with Alberta mouthpieces says it all. 

CBC has nothing to do with the broadcast. HNIC is all rogers/sportsnet now. part of the deal to let rogers use HNIC was that CBC gets to show the games and run a few promos they don't even get to run commercials rogers controls those also.

I've moaned about this for an eternity - heck, pretty much given up too. Call me a dinosaur, but prefer decades back, if we're looking for comparables. Since I've been away from NA, seems they want to have any/everyone taking over such spots. Won't go deeep into how I feel 'bout that!

Prob be better if we found great impersonators to call pbp/colour...

Butch & Sundance?

Ol' Jaaack

DeNiro & Pacino(maybe Pesce jumps in for brouhahas)

Old school voices: John Wayne, Jimmy Cagney, James Stewart, & of course, Bogie

Meg Ryan?(for innncrehhhdible plays!)

Slow game/lame matchup?..Jim Carey or Robin Williams might spice things up!

Or where's the voice(s) of Mel Blanc when we need him so badly?!

They mostly blab too d*mn much. A lil' banter is fine, if the game is a slog-fest. Knowing the time & place IS mostly a lost art. John & John are pretty d*mn good tho.

Bet Bieksa would be a hoot as a colour guy! He doesn't lean on cliches to prop up a half-a$$ call. Another big prob - you get tired of the old cliches.

With the success of the Manning cast, I think it's clear that an alternate option would be beneficial.  Personally, I'd love to have no commentators whatsoever and turn up the mics at ice level.  Rate it Mature or something so parents can keep it away from their 5 year old.

I 100% support Homer's for regional broadcasts or national broadcast with a Canaidian team vs a US team.

A problem arises in national broadcasts with 2 Canadian teams and we are stuck with the regional broadcast team. These people should be professional enough to get that they are excluding half of their audience all the while making fools of themselves.

Campbell is one if the worst and I wonder what kind of professional broadcast training, if any, she has obtained. Same goes for most Toronto commentators.

1 hour ago, canuckfromlangley said:

CBC has nothing to do with the broadcast. HNIC is all rogers/sportsnet now. part of the deal to let rogers use HNIC was that CBC gets to show the games and run a few promos they don't even get to run commercials rogers controls those also.

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office