The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Kessel not traded at tdl? Expiring contract… should fetch a pick or two

Rate this topic

tan

Coyotes' Phil Kessel passes Doug Jarvis for second on NHL's iron man list

Sportsnet Staff@SportsnetMarch 27, 2022, 9:45 PM

Phil Kessel officially passed Doug Jarvis for second on the all-time consecutive games list Sunday when he skated in his 965th straight contest.

Kessel passed Jarvis in the Arizona Coyotes' overtime loss to the Winnipeg Jets.

Jarvis held the record for 36 years before Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Keith Yandle broke it in January. To date, Yandle has played in 987 consecutive games.

Kessel, 34, broke into the NHL with the Boston Bruins and has also played for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Pittsburgh Penguins, winning two Stanley Cups with the Penguins in 2016 and '17.

In 1,186 total games, Kessel has 398 goals and 943 points. He has also skated in 96 playoff games, scoring 36 goals and 81 points. 

Kessel began his consecutive game streak on Nov. 3, 2009.

Probably lack of cap space.  He has a 6.8M cap hit and Arizona had already used up their 3 retention spots so they had to trade him at full cap hit.  

Too many teams playoff bound were in LTIR and unable to bank cap space so they could only add what they had available or had to move cap out.  Teams in LTIR simply didn't have 6.8M in cap space. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bell said:

It's crazy that he has such a long iron man streak considering it really looks like he isn't the fittest NHLer.

That was a funny story, made up by some TO reporter - that every day he went on a walk, run and ended up at a hotdog stand and chowed down on a couple.   Maybe it was Kessel - but if you actually learned about the guy, at least back then, he was one of the strongest guys at the gym each training camp.   Face suggests otherwise maybe lol.    Looks like Bruce did too when he was younger ... so get what you mean.   Look at those stats though ... guys actually a fringe HHOFer...no cups in PIT without him.

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's a solid middle six forward, but his cap hit is way too much for most teams to take on, even if just for a few months.

ARI could retain 50%, in that case his current value is probably on par or even a little better given his accolades and the possibility for a resurgence with better teammates then Pearson.    A second sounded about right, or at least could have... 

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

ARI could retain 50%, in that case his current value is probably on par or even a little better given his accolades and the possibility for a resurgence with better teammates then Pearson.    A second sounded about right, or at least could have... 

See Below:

On 3/28/2022 at 9:16 AM, mll said:

Probably lack of cap space.  He has a 6.8M cap hit and Arizona had already used up their 3 retention spots so they had to trade him at full cap hit.  

Too many teams playoff bound were in LTIR and unable to bank cap space so they could only add what they had available or had to move cap out.  Teams in LTIR simply didn't have 6.8M in cap space. 

TBH, I don't mind sign him 2 or 3 years in the summer. He is a solid mid 6 forward. He is not as flashy as Pavelski, but definitely better than Pearson. I know he is American. but we have new GM, right?

1 minute ago, tan said:

TBH, I don't mind sign him 2 or 3 years in the summer. He is a solid mid 6 forward. He is not as flashy as Pavelski, but definitely better than Pearson. I know he is American. but we have new GM, right?

Don't really see Rutherford having any interest in re-uniting with Kessel.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:17 AM, IBatch said:

That was a funny story, made up by some TO reporter - that every day he went on a walk, run and ended up at a hotdog stand and chowed down on a couple.   Maybe it was Kessel - but if you actually learned about the guy, at least back then, he was one of the strongest guys at the gym each training camp.   Face suggests otherwise maybe lol.    Looks like Bruce did too when he was younger ... so get what you mean.   Look at those stats though ... guys actually a fringe HHOFer...no cups in PIT without him.

I’m assuming you’re referencing the back to back cups as Phil wasn’t on the 08-09 team? 

Agree though… he’s had an extremely good career. 

Yeah I saw him as a "hit or miss" kind of possibility for a team looking to make a push. However, as already been said, he has a cap hit and teams looking to make a push are typically at or close to the cap. There are also a lot of other possibilities for these teams at a lower cap, so I had a hard time seeing Kessel as a "prime target" so to speak personally.