The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wild re-sign Alex Goligoski

Minny has 73 million committed to next year without Kevin Fiala, Jacob Middleton, and they will have to add 4 forwards, 1 d-man, and a backup goalie to make their 23 man roster by my calculations.  

Subtracting 6 league minimum players, they will have 5.5 mil to resign Fiala and Middleton (impossible IMO). Pretty much guarantees either a Fiala trade, or the fact that Deslauriers and Bjugstad aren't coming back next year. 

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Minny has 73 million committed to next year without Kevin Fiala, Jacob Middleton, and they will have to add 4 forwards, 1 d-man, and a backup goalie to make their 23 man roster by my calculations.  

Subtracting 6 league minimum players, they will have 5.5 mil to resign Fiala and Middleton (impossible IMO). Pretty much guarantees either a Fiala trade, or the fact that Deslauriers and Bjugstad aren't coming back next year. 

Currently under contract and on their roster for next season they have 10F, 5D, 1G.

So they need to sign 3F, 3D, 1G and have $10.2m to play with.

Assumptions:

- They have signed Goligoski for $2m

- They will bring Rossi (0.9m) and Addison (0.8m) onto the roster fulltime next season

This means they need to add 1F, 1D, 1G and now have only $6.5m in space.

It will be difficult to resign Fiala, as he would cost 6.5m+ on his own, so he could be traded for some decent returns. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see MIN trading someone like Dumba in order to create space to resign Fiala. I know Guerin would prefer to keep Dumba, but it is one option for them, and they could even run with a 22-man roster if needed.

Finally I am assuming they will resign Middleton for say about $2.5-3.0m. And bring in some league minimum forwards & backup to complete the roster.

Option 1:

Kaprisov Hartman Zuccarello

Boldy Rossi Jost

Greenway E-Ek Foligno

Duhaime Gaudreau 4RW

(13th forward)

Middleton Spurgeon

Brodin Dumba

Goligoski Kulikov

(Merrill Addison)

Talbot (Backup)

Option 2:

Boldy Rossi Fiala

Greenway E-Ek Foligno

Duhaime Jost Gaudreau

(13th forward)

Middleton Spurgeon

Brodin Goligoski

Kulikov Addison

(Merrill)

Talbot (Backup)

Just my 2c worth of thoughts...

Edited by BigTramFan
Thanks for feedback, I have seen the error of my ways! hehe

35 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Currently under contract and on their roster for next season they have 10F, 5D, 1G.

So they need to sign 4F, 3D, 1G and have $10.2m to play with.

10+5+1=16

4+3+1=8

16+8=24 man roster

Please redo all your numbers and report back to us ASAP:ph34r:

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

So they need to sign 4F, 3D, 1G and have $10.2m to play with.

Assumptions:

- They will bring Rossi (0.9m) and Addison (0.8m) onto the roster fulltime next season

This means they need to add 3F, 1D, 1G and now have only $6.5m in space.

It will be difficult to resign Fiala, as he would cost 6.5m+ on his own, so he could be traded for some decent returns. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see MIN trading someone like Dumba in order to create space to resign Fiala. I know Guerin would prefer to keep Dumba, but it is one option for them, and they could even run with a 22-man roster if needed.

Finally I am assuming they will resign Middleton for say about $2.5-3.0m. And bring in some league minimum forwards & backup to complete the roster.

Option 1:

Boldy Rossi Jost

Greenway E-Ek Foligno

Duhaime Gaudreau 4RW

(13th forward)

Middleton Spurgeon

Brodin Dumba

Merrill Kulikov

(Goligoski Addison)

Talbot (Backup)

Option 2:

Boldy Rossi Fiala

Greenway E-Ek Foligno

Duhaime Jost Gaudreau

(13th forward)

Middleton Spurgeon

Brodin Addison

Merrill Kulikov

(Goligoski)

Talbot (Backup)

FWIW, Goligoski has been averaging around 19 minutes a game this season or 4th amongst their dmen in ice time per game. He plays secondary units on both PK and PP. Not sure what changes will happen next season, but I suspect they don't view him as a 7th dman.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

FWIW, Goligoski has been averaging around 19 minutes a game this season or 4th amongst their dmen in ice time per game. He plays secondary units on both PK and PP. Not sure what changes will happen next season, but I suspect they don't view him as a 7th dman.

He's been healthy scratched their past 2 games. 

Since they've added Middleton, he's been dropped to their 3rd pairing.  Now with 8 roster Ds, they've been alternatively scratching Kulikov (who hadn't missed a game till that point), Merrill and Goligoski - Benn is D8.  

Part is likely also to give him some rest.  He's 36 and has been struggling the past few weeks given their schedule.  The Wild had so many games to catch up with 40 games in 77 days after playing only 5 in 30 days with their opponents shutdown by Covid.

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

So they need to sign 3F, 3D, 1G and have $10.2m to play with.

Assumptions:

This means they need to add 1F, 1D, 1G and now have only $6.5m in space.

Option 1:

Boldy Rossi Jost

Greenway E-Ek Foligno

Duhaime Gaudreau 4RW

(13th forward)

Middleton Spurgeon

Brodin Dumba

Goligoski Kulikov

(Merrill Addison)

Talbot (Backup)

Option 2:

Boldy Rossi Fiala

Greenway E-Ek Foligno

Duhaime Jost Gaudreau

(13th forward)

Middleton Spurgeon

Brodin Goligoski

Kulikov Addison

(Merrill)

Talbot (Backup)

There's no way that they bring up Addison and keep him as a scratch - he is still waiver free for another season.  Guerin has spoken multiple times against bringing up prospects to sit them and insists about the importance of development time in Iowa.  With Kulikov, Merrill and now Goligoski signed through next season and Middleton likely extended as RFA - it feels likely that he will remain in the minors for another season.  

The Wild hardly ever go with a 23 player roster especially not at home.  They've even been on the road with no extra forwards and a D had to play up front.  Guerin wants to bank as much cap space as possible and Iowa is 3 hours away.  

On one of his podcast Russo talked about how he thinks Guerin will try to extend Dumba to a reasonable deal this summer - he's 1 year to UFA.  The math just doesn't seem to work to keep Fiala.  Russo believes that Fiala will be traded as he's priced himself out and there's apparently quite a bit of interest.  They way he's telling fans to enjoy the Fiala-Boldy chemistry while it lasts makes you wonder if he hasn't received informal confirmation about it.

They've traded for Fleury with the intent to extend him per Russo - which he thinks indicates even more that Fiala is going to be traded.  

43 minutes ago, mll said:

He's been healthy scratched their past 2 games. 

Since they've added Middleton, he's been dropped to their 3rd pairing.  Now with 8 roster Ds, they've been alternatively scratching Kulikov (who hadn't missed a game till that point), Merrill and Goligoski - Benn is D8.  

Part is likely also to give him some rest.  He's 36 and has been struggling the past few weeks given their schedule.  The Wild had so many games to catch up with 40 games in 77 days after playing only 5 in 30 days with their opponents shutdown by Covid.

Yes but that's perhaps as you mentioned to give him some rest. Could be age related, or maybe even he was playing with a knock which could also explain some struggling of late.

Middleton gives them a more physical presence and maybe does ease off some of the minutes for Goligoski, but I still doubt they see him as a 7th dman moving forward.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Yes but that's perhaps as you mentioned to give him some rest. Could be age related, or maybe even he was playing with a knock which could also explain some struggling of late.

Middleton gives them a more physical presence and maybe does ease off some of the minutes for Goligoski, but I still doubt they see him as a 7th dman moving forward.

As a 3rd pairing D - Kulikov, Merrill and Goligoski alternating on the 3rd but Middleton might not quite be a regular top-4 either.  Goligoski/Middleton might also alternate pairing up with Spurgeon based on the opponent.

He turns 37 in July.  It's somewhat surprising that they gave him 2 years when Russo has been talking about them being concerned with his age - he actually thought they were going to let him walk after extending Merrill.  

• Cheers 1

On 3/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, AK_19 said:

...anyone else surprised Goligoski wasn't still playing for the Stars?

Not really personally to be honest, but I remember the trade to Arizona happening as well.

To be fair though, I didn't know he was on the Wild.

Edited by The Lock