The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Referring under scrutiny

Rate this topic

I find these articles hilarious

Just confirms what we've said all along that NHL's pretty much WWE on skates.

No one batted an eye when Canucks were getting screwed but now that the darlings of the league are on the short end of the stick, it's become news.

What's the point of parity in the league if it's manufactured parity?

You're doing the crappy teams a disservice.  If they suck, they should lose badly, fire their staff and rebuild.

If they don't make it through the rebuild due to lack of fans, they probably should never have been a franchsie in the first place.

Really hating how Bettman has turned sports and the integrity of sports into "sports entertainment" .  He cares more about attracting fans through bogus reffing than growing the sport organically by producing the best on ice product.

What a disgrace of a league...yet we continue to watch lol

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli-nhl-officiating-a-topic-of-conversation-on-day-1-at-gm-meetings/

https://www.tsn.ca/whistle-happy-officials-chasing-down-hurricanes-1.1778496

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The worst part of the NHL reffing situation is that while we all can accept that they'll make mistakes sometimes - the entire review process is kept under complete secrecy - there's ZERO transparency or accountability to fans or teams.  This process does not build trust with the league - in fact it builds mistrust against the refs and the league itself. 

• Cheers 2

More advancements in tracking systems should help to take more of the game out of the hands of corrupt ref's. Maybe we need to put sensors in sticks and gloves instead of phantom calls, or non calls on things like slashing. 

All penalties should be challengeable I don’t care how much time it takes.

When they can’t get a simple delay of game penalty right that may impact the outcome of the game, they need to have the tools to get the call right.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All penalties should be challengeable I don’t care how much time it takes.

When they can’t get a simple delay of game penalty right that may impact the outcome of the game, they need to have the tools to get the call right.

If penalties are challengable, shouldn't missed calls be too? May as well add an extra hour to games then.

38 minutes ago, Mollyworld said:

If penalties are challengable, shouldn't missed calls be too? May as well add an extra hour to games then.

Not unless it’s delay of game. Any situation where they have to wind back the clock and replay time would take too long. That’s why it only really makes sense to challenge actual calls.

No coach would bother challenging on things like hooking or interference though. 

Only plays like high sticking, hits to the head, delay of game, embellishment and tripping would be challenged.

It would only add so much time because like the current challenge rules they only have one challenge. Lose it and that’s it for the game.

If a coach has a successful string of challenges it will be a great way to expose poor officiating.

Sadly because PPs are so over-powered in this league, penalties change the course of the game. Most teams are scoring on 25-33% of their PPs so giving a team a powerplay late in the game when they're chasing a lead gives them a good chance to change the final score.

The refs and league know this and you see it so often that refs will change the course of the game based on it. Too many times you'll see it happen and often I think the league want tighter, more competitive games (for fans) so we end up with penalties only given out to even games up, unless there's a really blatant one.

Towards the end of the season the penalties certainly drop off and in the playoffs too which is very confusing.

I think the players and fans alike always just want consistency. Of course most recently, that high stick right in front of the ref when the Canucks are chasing a lead usually gets called but for some reason wasn't. 

Watching a lot of other sports, the NHL has to be the least consistently reffed game but I think it all comes down to how the refs feel on the night, how close the games are and if there's any advice from above...

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 1:10 PM, DeNiro said:

Not unless it’s delay of game. Any situation where they have to wind back the clock and replay time would take too long. That’s why it only really makes sense to challenge actual calls.

No coach would bother challenging on things like hooking or interference though. 

Only plays like high sticking, hits to the head, delay of game, embellishment and tripping would be challenged.

It would only add so much time because like the current challenge rules they only have one challenge. Lose it and that’s it for the game.

If a coach has a successful string of challenges it will be a great way to expose poor officiating.

I worry about unintended consequences if this idea becomes reality: How many refs will decide to just not call penalties for anything because they know that way they won’t be scrutinized? I’d imagine the number is fairly large.

53 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I worry about unintended consequences if this idea becomes reality: How many refs will decide to just not call penalties for anything because they know that way they won’t be scrutinized? I’d imagine the number is fairly large.

Well if refs are afraid of being scrutinized or don’t wanna get the calls right then the league has a much more serious problem.

They need to look at how they train their refs and who they hire. If these guys can’t check their egos and put the integrity of the game first they need to be pushed out.

Edited by DeNiro

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well if refs are afraid of being scrutinized or don’t wanna get the calls right then the league has a much more serious problem.

They need to look at how they train their refs and who they hire. If these guys can’t check their egos and put the integrity of the game first they need to be pushed out.

The NHL does have a serious problem, the fact media companies are noticing it points to the enormity of the issue. When it gets big enough for media to report on then it has to have been festering for many years prior.

I’m 100% with you there, but see I don’t have any faith that would actually happen. So I view the change you’ve suggested as potentially if not likely making things worse even with the good intentions behind it.