The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trial date set for former Vancouver Canuck Virtanen charged with sexual assault

Rate this topic

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

They get paid in USD.

Not next season they won’t.  The Russian Oligarchs who own those teams and run that league are being squeezed with sanctions.  At 10 cents a million dollar contract will be 100,000 dollars.  Less cost of body guards.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Not next season they won’t.  The Russian Oligarchs who own those teams and run that league are being squeezed with sanctions.  At 10 cents a million dollar contract will be 100,000 dollars.  Less cost of body guards.  

OK thanks for the financial outlook.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

OK thanks for the financial outlook.

You’re welcome.  I shop at Walmart and have Internet.  I consider myself an expert in most things.  That’s why I expect Jake will be in prison come next fall.  3-5 years.  

14 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Hammer...LOL

It is my question..................

What if he is proven Innocent?

In this exact situation when going to court, more often then not the accused is found not guilty of the sexual assult in question do to lack of evidence. Would you be comfertable saying that over 50% of people accused and taken to court are innocent and didn't do it?

Once taken to the police only 1/5 cases even make it to trial, and the overwhelming majority of sexual assaults are never even reported to the police. Sexual assult is extremely hard to prove since there if often little to no evidence. The fact we are this far means there is likely at least some evidence involved.

Not being proven guilty does not mean a person was innocent and didn't do something they shouldn't have. If only 1/5 get to court, and under 50 are convicted, statistically less then 1 in 10 people who go to police and say they were sexually assaulted see their accused face consequences for their actions. Personally, I don't believe that those other 9 people didn't do something nefarious if someone mustered up the courage to go to the police and tell them about an incident.

Edited by Shayster007

38 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

In this exact situation when going to court, more often then not the accused is found not guilty of the sexual assult in question do to lack of evidence. Would you be comfertable saying that over 50% of people accused and taken to court are innocent and didn't do it?

Once taken to the police only 1/5 cases even make it to trial, and the overwhelming majority of sexual assaults are never even reported to the police. Sexual assult is extremely hard to prove since there if often little to no evidence. The fact we are this far means there is likely at least some evidence involved.

Not being proven guilty does not mean a person was innocent and didn't do something they shouldn't have. If only 1/5 get to court, and under 50 are convicted, statistically less then 1 in 10 people who go to police and say they were sexually assaulted see their accused face consequences for their actions. Personally, I don't believe that those other 9 people didn't do something nefarious if someone mustered up the courage to go to the police and tell them about an incident.

I agree with you Shayster, in the fact that 9/10 are found not guilty by way of insufficient evidence. And a great many of those are guilty. I get that, and wish those that did break the law were punished for their crimes. But..........what about those that are falsely accused? Oy of the 9/10 we speak of, how many are innocent? Do we condemn the man that did nothing wrong, because there are those that get off?

I have a daughter, and if someone touch her inappropriately, I would take a bat to him. No questions. But, I trust my daughter to tell the truth. I do not think she would lie. I know others, I would not trust. What about those that cheat on their spouse purposely and then cries foul when caught by the husband, what about the girl that gets pregnant and accuses the boy of rape, because she does not want to have her parents mad at her, only to recant later? 

I absolutely hate, the idea of letting someone guilty free, or having the girl/woman live her life in shame/fear/guilt. But, I am not asking/talking about her at this moment, what I am saying is, let us just wait until the trial actually happens, before calling him guilty. That is all.............I am not debating the process, nor how many guilty go free, nor the terminology. I am simply saying lets wait until after the trial, before we shaming him. 

I have many problems with the legal system, including money passing hands to make the charge go away. Which in my mind, is a devious, inappropriate, action by both parties, and does not protect society from the next time.

............................................................................................................

On a unrelated story................once when I was 19/20 years old, I was at my buddies party with my girlfriend of 3 years. At the end of the party I drove her home, and went back to the party to have another beer (I should not have drove) But after shutting down the party, I grabbed a bedroom and went to sleep, only to have a girl crawl in with me. Her hands were exploring to say the least, but my much better judgement told her to get lost. (which took me, way more focus then normal) But I often think about that moment, and wonder what would have happened, if things would have not turned out the way they did? It was one of my few good moves, I did during those years. Never mind the driving!

I can say that alcohol has never prevented me from making the right choice, and I have always been in control, but I have made bad choices, when drunk, knowing better but ignoring my better judgement. But I have seen people that when drunk, behave so ridiculous, and made such stupid decisions,.............man, was I stupid to drive when drunk, but that goes to show you...........

.............................................................................................................

I hope, in Jakes case he gets everything he deserves, whether innocent or guilty, whether that be punishment or he is absolved. In either way, 2 people will be directly affected by this for life, I find that sad. I hope the right judgement occurs ! 

15 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I agree with you Shayster, in the fact that 9/10 are found not guilty by way of insufficient evidence. And a great many of those are guilty. I get that, and wish those that did break the law were punished for their crimes. But..........what about those that are falsely accused? Oy of the 9/10 we speak of, how many are innocent? Do we condemn the man that did nothing wrong, because there are those that get off?

I have a daughter, and if someone touch her inappropriately, I would take a bat to him. No questions. But, I trust my daughter to tell the truth. I do not think she would lie. I know others, I would not trust. What about those that cheat on their spouse purposely and then cries foul when caught by the husband, what about the girl that gets pregnant and accuses the boy of rape, because she does not want to have her parents mad at her, only to recant later? 

I absolutely hate, the idea of letting someone guilty free, or having the girl/woman live her life in shame/fear/guilt. But, I am not asking/talking about her at this moment, what I am saying is, let us just wait until the trial actually happens, before calling him guilty. That is all.............I am not debating the process, nor how many guilty go free, nor the terminology. I am simply saying lets wait until after the trial, before we shaming him. 

I have many problems with the legal system, including money passing hands to make the charge go away. Which in my mind, is a devious, inappropriate, action by both parties, and does not protect society from the next time.

............................................................................................................

On a unrelated story................once when I was 19/20 years old, I was at my buddies party with my girlfriend of 3 years. At the end of the party I drove her home, and went back to the party to have another beer (I should not have drove) But after shutting down the party, I grabbed a bedroom and went to sleep, only to have a girl crawl in with me. Her hands were exploring to say the least, but my much better judgement told her to get lost. (which took me, way more focus then normal) But I often think about that moment, and wonder what would have happened, if things would have not turned out the way they did? It was one of my few good moves, I did during those years. Never mind the driving!

I can say that alcohol has never prevented me from making the right choice, and I have always been in control, but I have made bad choices, when drunk, knowing better but ignoring my better judgement. But I have seen people that when drunk, behave so ridiculous, and made such stupid decisions,.............man, was I stupid to drive when drunk, but that goes to show you...........

.............................................................................................................

I hope, in Jakes case he gets everything he deserves, whether innocent or guilty, whether that be punishment or he is absolved. In either way, 2 people will be directly affected by this for life, I find that sad. I hope the right judgement occurs ! 

Over the last 20 years many different studies have been done on false accusations, in many different countries. The results vary between 2-10% are false accusations. So it's fair to go forward that 5% of accusations are false. To put that into context of that stats we have already astablished it looks like this.

20 people go to the police and say they were sexual assaulted. Statically 1 of those people may be fabricating it, wether it's from alcohol or simply malice. 2 people will find justice and see their accused face the consequences, and 17 people will never get justice for what happened. 

I feel for every single person that has their life ruined when these things come forward. I feel for the 1 person that was accused unjustly, and I feel for the 17 who never got closure for their lives being turned upside down.

I understand the falsely accused argument, I really do. But it's much more likely in any situation that a person walks free due to lack of evidence then any other outcome. That is why this situation sucks so bad, and why it's estimated 1/4 woman will be sexual assaulted over their life time.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Over the last 20 years many different studies have been done on false accusations, in many different countries. The results vary between 2-10% are false accusations. So it's fair to go forward that 5% of accusations are false. To put that into context of that stats we have already astablished it looks like this.

20 people go to the police and say they were sexual assaulted. Statically 1 of those people may be fabricating it, wether it's from alcohol or simply malice. 2 people will find justice and see their accused face the consequences, and 17 people will never get justice for what happened. 

I feel for every single person that has their life ruined when these things come forward. I feel for the 1 person that was accused unjustly, and I feel for the 17 who never got closure for their lives being turned upside down.

I understand the falsely accused argument, I really do. But it's much more likely in any situation that a person walks free due to lack of evidence then any other outcome. That is why this situation sucks so bad, and why it's estimated 1/4 woman will be sexual assaulted over their life time.

It is a no win...........

I mean, imagine if you are the 1 in 20

Imagine how it affects your work, children, wife, friends and family

Imagine loosing 3 to 5 years of your life.........

Going to jail, being sexually assaulted, and beaten up

and you are the 1/20 that is innocent

Now imagine you are Jake, and all the unconfirmed gossip

2 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

It is a no win...........

I mean, imagine if you are the 1 in 20

Imagine how it affects your work, children, wife, friends and family

Imagine loosing 3 to 5 years of your life.........

Going to jail, being sexually assaulted, and beaten up

and you are the 1/20 that is innocent

Now imagine you are Jake, and all the unconfirmed gossip

It's extremely rare for a false accusations to be found guilty. So at least prison time for a false accusation is an extremely rare occurrence. That doesn't mean that the 1/20 doesn't have their name dragged through the mud though. And I already expressed how terrible I feel for them. But that doesn't discount the vast majority of the cases someone was sexually assaulted and their life was ruined.

For me personally it's very telling that so many posts, including this one, focus solely on the very small possibility of a false accusation and don't address the overwhelming possibility someone was raped and their life will never be the same.

• Cheers 1

@Shayster007

A quick story.........

I coached a house team, where we had a kid that was a bully, and always picked on this kid, the kid was first year and had been adopted from Romania...............

Well, after trying everything to persuade the bully to stop, I finally put the 2 kids on the same line and said that he would not come off of that line until the other kid scored

This went on the whole season and the bullying stopped. The bully, fed this kid passes, and tried everything to score a goal, but going into the last game of the season,

still had not scored............well, low and behold, the kid scores a goal, and the kid that jumped the highest when the puck went in was the bully (True story!)

But it does not stop there...................

Later that summer, the side window of my Bronco II was smashed in............after asking around, I had another kid that I had coached that year, phone me, and tell me it was 

the bully! 

Imagine if his action was not a smashed window, but a sexual assault accusation? Oh my god!

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

It's extremely rare for a false accusations to be found guilty. So at least prison time for a false accusation is an extremely rare occurrence. That doesn't mean that the 1/20 doesn't have their name dragged through the mud though. And I already expressed how terrible I feel for them. But that doesn't discount the vast majority of the cases someone was sexually assaulted and their life was ruined.

For me personally it's very telling that so many posts, including this one, focus solely on the very small possibility of a false accusation and don't address the overwhelming possibility someone was raped and their life will never be the same.

I agree with you...............but in this case, it has not gone to trial yet.......................

and is therefore Gossip and opinion of a man and the charge with absolutely no evidence...................

And I am not saying he is innocent, just that we do not know yet...........that is what all my posts have been about in this thread................

We do not know! And yet, some are ready to hang him, before we do!