The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trial date set for former Vancouver Canuck Virtanen charged with sexual assault

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I agree with you...............but in this case, it has not gone to trial yet.......................

and is therefore Gossip and opinion of a man and the charge with absolutely no evidence...................

And I am not saying he is innocent, just that we do not know yet...........that is what all my posts have been about in this thread................

We do not know! And yet, some are ready to hang him, before we do!

We don't know there no evidence, that's pure speculation. Personally knowing the statistics that such a small amount ever go to trail, I reckon there is evidence which is why this one is progressing to a trial.

And again, we are going in circles. The overwhelming majority are never found guilty. That's a fact, we already established that. That doesn't mean they didn't do something they shouldn't have, it just means the majority of cases didn't have sufficient evidence to prove it.

Just now, Shayster007 said:

We don't know there no evidence, that's pure speculation. Personally knowing the statistics that such a small amount ever go to trail, I reckon there is evidence which is why this one is progressing to a trial.

And again, we are going in circles. The overwhelming majority are never found guilty. That's a fact, we already established that. That doesn't mean they didn't do something they shouldn't have, it just means the majority of cases didn't have sufficient evidence to prove it.

This  is  my point (see high-lited)..............we do not know...........

Again, that is my only point!

Let's leave it as I agree with you, if guilty! (never mind found guilty)

8 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

This  is  my point (see high-lited)..............we do not know...........

Again, that is my only point!

Let's leave it as I agree with you, if guilty! (never mind found guilty)

In my opinion it's not fair to assume Jake's guilt. But it's downright upsetting when I see people assuming his innocence because the numbers tell us that's not a logical assumption at all.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

In my opinion it's not fair to assume Jake's guilt. But it's downright upsetting when I see people assuming his innocence because the numbers tell us that's not a logical assumption at all.

Personally, I am not assuming anything........................going to wait until the trial is over

• Cheers 2

On 3/31/2022 at 2:36 AM, Alflives said:

So July 19 Jake is no longer trying to pick up girls in bars, but instead looking at the world through bars?  

He may even be some bloke called Killers 'girlfriend'...

Edited by spook007

On 3/31/2022 at 10:58 AM, HKSR said:

He will be guilty, thrown in prison, and the Canucks will still carry the dead cap.  

Will be good trivia, "Which NHL team had an imprisoned criminal's cap hit count against their total cap hit?"

Hint: this team also had a cap hit penalty thrown at them for a contract that was completed years prior to the penalties coming into play.

Hint #2: this is also the team that has never won a draft lottery, even going back to their inaugural season.

Hint #3: other teams' players can punch them in the face or target their heads giving them concussions, all without penalty.

I find it a little sad that is your take away from this.    

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

My guess is that the main physical evidence is hotel security footage. 

Then he said she said. 

If the victim told others (soon after the rape) about what happened is that admissible evidence, or is that just hearsay?  

I am curious to know when the team learned of the 'event', when management learned that something had happened, and what actions were taken.

After the absolutely disgraceful actions taken by the Chicago Blackhawks et al, I wonder if anything was covered up, or 'handled' in Jake's case.

Not saying, but wondering, as a number of the principals were later fired, and very little has been said, by JB for example.

In one of the early reports, I seem to remember it was said to have happened, at, after, or around a team function; perhaps at a hotel or conference center.

If there was any behaviour of this kind, I hope that it would come out at this trial, so that perpetrators could be identified and dealt with.

These coverup behaviors are partly responsible for the perpetuation of these types of abuse, and deserve our full attention, judgements, and punishments.

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/bc-news/sexual-assault-trial-begins-for-ex-canuck-jake-virtanen-5596604

this spells it out, I sure seems Jake is going down unless he has a phenomenal lawyer that can discredit her. Sounds cut and dry, guilty.

Which part is cut and dry guilty?  The part where she said she stayed with him the entire night and then asked him for a ride back to her girlfriend's place in the morning?  Would that be typical behaviour of a sexual assault victim to stay the night with her assaulter in the same room and then ask for a ride home in the morning?

Trial begins for Jake Virtanen, former Canucks forward charged with sexual assault (sportsnet.ca)

She said she spent the night in the hotel room and in the morning, she asked him to drive her back to her friend's house. She said he told her he couldn't because he had to go to hockey practice and instead gave her money for a cab.

She will also be cross examined tomorrow so if there are any holes in her case that is the time they will come to light.  We also need to hear from any witnesses and to see corroborating evidence to support the sexual assault.  If this is merely a he said/she said situation with no other evidence then there is no proof beyond a reasonable doubt to convict.  

22 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

.....I definitely didn't take from that that it was "cut and dry" guilty.

In recent years with the MeToo movement , it is. The story itself has holes in it and is speculative, but it is not about that, it’s about coming forward. I don’t think It’s gonna go Jakes way at all.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

In recent years with the MeToo movement , it is. The story itself has holes in it and is speculative, but it is not about that, it’s about coming forward. I don’t think It’s gonna go Jakes way at all.

That is hardly cut and dry at all. I would like to think that isn’t the main focus of the evidence they have otherwise it’s just purely a he said she said, which are hard to convict on.

Cases like this are hard to convict so for them to bring it forward they must have more than that. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Which part is cut and dry guilty?  The part where she said she stayed with him the entire night and then asked him for a ride back to her girlfriend's place in the morning?  Would that be typical behaviour of a sexual assault victim to stay the night with her assaulter in the same room and then ask for a ride home in the morning?

Trial begins for Jake Virtanen, former Canucks forward charged with sexual assault (sportsnet.ca)

She said she spent the night in the hotel room and in the morning, she asked him to drive her back to her friend's house. She said he told her he couldn't because he had to go to hockey practice and instead gave her money for a cab.

She will also be cross examined tomorrow so if there are any holes in her case that is the time they will come to light.  We also need to hear from any witnesses and to see corroborating evidence to support the sexual assault.  If this is merely a he said/she said situation with no other evidence then there is no proof beyond a reasonable doubt to convict.  

do you have any training or experience to claim what is typical or not in these cases? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

I will admit it has been a long time since I've stayed in a hotel, do they still have lobby's and restaurants and bars that people can spending time in; while waiting for someone?

I stayed at a hotel in Chicago last weekend. The lobby bar was packed the entire time.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

From the outside this seems like a he said, she said case. If so, and no further evidence is apparent, then I would hope this case gets tossed. I have two daughters and any kind of sexual assault makes me sick. I also have a son and any kind of false accusation makes me sick. I hope that if Jake has crossed the line, and it can be proven, he gets punished appropriately. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

do you have any training or experience to claim what is typical or not in these cases? 

no one really knows whos telling the truth here, but the defense will ask her why she didnt leave after being sexually assault.  Nothing reported has suggested that Jake kept her there against her will or kept her from calling someone.  i know if i were sexually assaulted, id get out of there right away- no if ands or buts about it.