The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Timrå stays in SHL after relegation games, first time ever no Stockholm team is in the top league

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

The SHL obviously hasn't been paying attention, If that was the NHL they'd have just 'rigged' the relegation games so their flagship team(s) got in (Bos/Tor/LA/Chi/etc) lol....

Well, in some of the games they tried! A couple of 50/50 goals disallowed and more "missed" calls one way than the other

17 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol relegation. That's europe for you.

I like that a lot. Keeps it competitive and every game is important. Obviously some drawbacks to it, but it would solve the perennial bottom feeding team issue. 

11 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I like that a lot. Keeps it competitive and every game is important. Obviously some drawbacks to it, but it would solve the perennial bottom feeding team issue. 

I live in the UK and have this argument with my football friends who just don't get how we don't have relegation in our league. It's just not something we are used to and I don't really think it would work with the way our leagues are set up. Plus very often the teams that bump up end up going straight back down the next year so it doesn't really solve the bottom feeder team issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Wanted to share some intel from the SHL.

Timrå won the BO 7 to stay in the SHL vs Djurgården (Stockholm) with 4-0

This means that for the first time ever the swedish capital doesnt have a team in the top league.

The difference between playing in the SHL and Hockeyallsvenskan is about 6 million USD - a huge amount of money for the swedish league

Here is some videos and pictures of the Swedish fan-culture!

Bild

"For Timrå - For the county"

Congrats on your team staying in the SHL.

35 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol relegation. That's europe for you.

I actually think that, if we wanted more NHL teams in the future, this might be a system that would make the most sense. Otherwise, there would either be too many games in a season or we wouldn't see other teams enough, not even rivals.

If hockey becomes more and more popular, I can see it happening.

I would love to see relegation in North American sports but it will never happen.  

Congratulations to Timra for staying up!  The atmosphere looks awesome at the games.  If I ever visit Sweden I'll make sure to catch an SHL or AllSvenskan game. 

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

I actually think that, if we wanted more NHL teams in the future, this might be a system that would make the most sense. Otherwise, there would either be too many games in a season or we wouldn't see other teams enough, not even rivals.

If hockey becomes more and more popular, I can see it happening.

Relegation will never happen in the NHL.  

21 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

I live in the UK and have this argument with my football friends who just don't get how we don't have relegation in our league. It's just not something we are used to and I don't really think it would work with the way our leagues are set up. Plus very often the teams that bump up end up going straight back down the next year so it doesn't really solve the bottom feeder team issue.

I believe the North American way actually sounds strange to the Europeans.

I remember some NHL analysts mentioned it before.  This league REWARDS bad teams (with high draft picks).  If you are not used to the N.A. way, it feels uncomfortable watching teams "tank" in purpose.

Outside of the N.A., a bad team should be kicked out from the top league, instead of having an advantage over the other teams which have better records.

In the N.A. the market size determines if a team stays in the top league or not, instead of the win/lose records.

Edited by The King of Kings

The NHLPA would also fight hard against this. I guess if you did a lot of restructuring of leagues and union deals it could work, but I think it would be an Everest type of mountain to climb to do it. In the UK all of the football teams are under one umbrella organization, but in NA there are several independent orgs that make up our hockey system.