The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

On 4/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, Warhippy said:

The saddest part is, he does it via social media platforms and the idiocy jump on it like it's gospel.  Some are fast enough to make $$ ala Doge but realy

There is never a shortage of people that got rich via government help but are quick to become "libertarians" once they get rich.

• 2 weeks later...

Musk / Twitter update - reports deal could be finalized this week

Earlier talk of this is here:

Wall Street Journal with the further update now:

• Twitter is in discussions to sell itself to Elon Musk and could finalize a deal as soon as this week, people familiar with the matter said
  • The two sides met Sunday to discuss Mr. Musk’s proposal and were making progress, though still had issues to hash out, the people said.
  • There are no guarantee they will reach a deal.

Where there is smoke there is fire. There's serious smoke here from everything I am reading.

Edited by nuckin_futz

If this actually happens the world is &^@#ed. He’s going to let back Trump and anyone on the far right banned for breaking the rules back on to be able to lie more and continue their racist, sexist inhuman attacks. It’s going to be a free for all disinformation utopia like Facebook. Twitter isn’t all that great at stopping fake news and accounts that break the rules now, but if Musk gains control it’ll be so much worse and would be a huge blow to democracy. I really hope Twitter doesn’t do this.

41 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If this actually happens the world is &^@#ed. He’s going to let back Trump and anyone on the far right banned for breaking the rules back on to be able to lie more and continue their racist, sexist inhuman attacks. It’s going to be a free for all disinformation utopia like Facebook. Twitter isn’t all that great at stopping fake news and accounts that break the rules now, but if Musk gains control it’ll be so much worse and would be a huge blow to democracy. I really hope Twitter doesn’t do this.

I mean if we all know Twitter sucks why do we keep using it as a source of information?

There’s nothing proprietary about it. Surely another big tech company can come out with something better.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean if we all know Twitter sucks why do we keep using it as a source of information?

There’s nothing proprietary about it. Surely another big tech company can come out with something better.

It’s not us that creates the issues, it’s that media always report on tweets from Twitter thus amplifying the disinformation’s reach.

I sure do hope someone creates a brand new social media website similar to FB/Twitter with people in charge who value common decency and the truth above making $$$. Do I expect that to happen? Sadly no.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It’s not us that creates the issues, it’s that media always report on tweets from Twitter thus amplifying the disinformation’s reach.

I sure do hope someone creates a brand new social media website similar to FB/Twitter with people in charge who value common decency and the truth above making $$$. Do I expect that to happen? Sadly no.

Well Dotard is behind a "new" one.

As per his usual business ventures, it sucks azz.:lol:

Elon Musk will acquire Twitter for $54.20 with a valuation of $44B dollars.

• Musk will take the company private.
  • Musk is the world's richest person.
  • The Twitter board unanimously approved the sale.
  • The stock prices 30% above the price when Musk announced his 9% stake in the company
  • Twitter will not have an analyst review after their  earnings  on Thursday

Shares were halted at $51.63 ahead of the announcement.

If EM does as expected and allows pathological liars like Trump back, I think it cements his status as the modern super-villain....

People should absolutely bear this in mind, when considering the purchase of an electric vehicle.....there are lots of other manufacturers out there....

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

If EM does as expected and allows pathological liars like Trump back, I think it cements his status as the modern super-villain....

People should absolutely bear this in mind, when considering the purchase of an electric vehicle.....there are lots of other manufacturers out there....

Not to mention Tesla's quality control sucks.

Gonna get myself a Audi e-tron if I switch over to electric. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well at least they were trying to moderate.

Under Musk's free speech absolutism, everything goes. Facts be damned. 

Facts be damned in the current state anyway.

This sounds like it might improve the platform, but I expect any changes to be minimal.

I find it funny that people are freaking out that twitter is suddenly going to be run by the asylum. Man some people are paranoid as hell today. Butts is right, it's like all the anti trump who moved to Canada... Oh Yea no one did.

It's already run by fake garbage reporting 99% of the thing by both sides of the spectrum. 

Edited by Russ
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Russ said:

I find it funny that people are freaking out that twitter is suddenly going to be run by the asylum. Man some people are paranoid as hell today. Butts is right, it's like all the anti trump who moved to Canada... Oh Yea no one did.

It's already run by fake garbage reporting 99% of the thing by both sides of the spectrum. 

This a 1000%

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Have you actually tried to buy one?  Most of them are vapourwear at this point. 
Have been trying to order a Mach E but Ford can’t get their $&!# together, ended up with model 3 because can actually get.