The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Facts be damned in the current state anyway.

This sounds like it might improve the platform, but I expect any changes to be minimal.

Not sure giving a blue checkmark to anyone willing to pay improves the platform. Unless Musk plan to implement a gold check mark system to replace the current blue checkmark. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Not sure giving a blue checkmark to anyone willing to pay improves the platform. Unless Musk plan to implement a gold check mark system to replace the current blue checkmark. 

Who cares about blue checkmarks? Doesn't make a tweet any better/worse -- the words are the same.

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Who cares about blue checkmarks? Doesn't make a tweet any better/worse -- the words are the same.

It is about credibility. I think you use Twitter way differently than others. 

TBH wouldn't really affect me as I pretty much only use it for gaming and canucks news and the blue check mark does help from avoiding fake leaks and rumors.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

TBH wouldn't really affect me as I pretty much only use it for gaming and canucks news and the blue check mark does help from avoiding fake leaks and rumors.

I don't even bother with any of that... I let Vintage Canuck bring me the news on a platter here on CDC :towel:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well at least they were trying to moderate.

Under Musk's free speech absolutism, everything goes. Facts be damned. 

This won't happen. It may seem like it will, but they'll still need to moderate if they want to keep the current base of users. Protecting "freedom of speech" does not necessarily mean "everything goes", it just means things would be presumably different.

Otherwise, say goodbye to twitter.

Edit: If you need further proof of this, Musk tweeted: "A social media platform's policies are good if the most extreme 10% on left and right are equally unhappy," That hardly scream "anything goes".

Edited by The Lock

29 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I look at the actual twitter handles to see if it's from a fake or not. 

Even if Elon changes who has a checkmark, that doesn't make or break the platform IMO.

Seems like there's a lot of outrage over nothing. 

• Cheers 1

Ya, I don't see people who were banned for multiple TOS violations being welcomed back.  I know the retort might be there are POS people who still have their accounts, but have those accounts violated the TOS like some notable people who have been banned?  

Elon is going to have to satisfy the groups that bring Twitter it's money.  Otherwise he's going to end up with prepper sponsors and questionable supplements sponsors.   He'll lose a lot of money if the mainstream sponsors drop Twitter.  

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Ya, I don't see people who were banned for multiple TOS violations being welcomed back.  I know the retort might be there are POS people who still have their accounts, but have those accounts violated the TOS like some notable people who have been banned?  

Elon is going to have to satisfy the groups that bring Twitter it's money.  Otherwise he's going to end up with prepper sponsors and questionable supplements sponsors.   He'll lose a lot of money if the mainstream sponsors drop Twitter.  

Pretty much this. I think it's nothing more than an overreaction to think that previous violaters would be welcomed back. Unless if he specifically states such a thing, there's no sense in thinking that will be the case.

• Cheers 1

I don't care because I have never used Twitter.

My bro-in-law's Tesla is the fastest car i have been in. But they are ugly so I would never own one.

I used to think Elon was cool with some of his fancy ideas but getting to see him more, he seems so cringy.

As @RUPERTKBD said, my wife has also called Musk a super villain.. for years. I see him having his own planet Musk on day, formerly known as Mars.

Don't these billionaires seem desperate these days? the money hoarding isn't enough for them. Some wish they had all the attention and control too, they're parasitic. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Some actually did.

IMO it's just not a good thing when a lunatic is the wealthiest man in the world and is then acquiring media companies. Does the world really need another Rupert Murdoch?

Elon Musk sends CumRocket crypto price 'to the moon' after explicit emoji  tweet | The Independent

That's a real tweet, "&um rocket to the moon". Referencing the crypto currency "&um rocket".

Can we as a society stop putting clowns on a pedestal and in positions of power?

Don't you remember the mass amount of celebrities and people threating to come up here. Very very few did it. 

Now you probably know now, if it's going private what exactly does that do to shareholders? Bought out at the price he paid and shares dissapear from accounts? Or how exactly does that work? 

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Don't you remember the mass amount of celebrities and people threating to come up here. Very very few did it. 

Now you probably know now, if it's going private what exactly does that do to shareholders? Bought out at the price he paid and shares dissapear from accounts? Or how exactly does that work? 

I do remember that but a few regular Joe's did actually make the move to escape what they predicted would be the coming sh** show.

All shareholders will receive $52.40/share on the closing date and the shares will disappear from their accounts.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

You do realize it is way easier to delete an app than to immigrate to another country right? 

That argument would have more juice if Canada and US have a freedom of movement agreement like the EU. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

I look at the actual twitter handles to see if it's from a fake or not. 

Even if Elon changes who has a checkmark, that doesn't make or break the platform IMO.

Seems like there's a lot of outrage over nothing. 

Just because you are internet savvy enough to look at the handles, which also can be misleading with bad actors purposefully change one character that our brain often ignores, doesn't mean a vast majority people do not rely on the blue checkmark to verify the authenticity or credentials of a poster.

It is going to be an issue where the average joe can be easily dooped into fake news or disinformation because users are used to the blue check mark meaning its someone of some credibility rather than an internet troll throwing things on the wall. 

Like I said if Elon implements something like a gold check mark to function like the blue checkmark it is now than whatever, probably not a bad revenue stream. Otherwise it is going to cause issues with the older, typically less internet literate generations. 

54 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Just because you are internet savvy enough to look at the handles, which also can be misleading with bad actors purposefully change one character that our brain often ignores, doesn't mean a vast majority people do not rely on the blue checkmark to verify the authenticity or credentials of a poster.

It is going to be an issue where the average joe can be easily dooped into fake news or disinformation because users are used to the blue check mark meaning its someone of some credibility rather than an internet troll throwing things on the wall. 

Like I said if Elon implements something like a gold check mark to function like the blue checkmark it is now than whatever, probably not a bad revenue stream. Otherwise it is going to cause issues with the older, typically less internet literate generations. 

That's assuming the blue checkmark means the poster is trustworthy, but there's plenty of people with checkmarks that post disinformation.

I'm wondering if we'll see a dislike button added. If the goal is to ban fewer people, then that would allow them to participate, but people could see right away if the tweet is well received or not. 

22 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If this actually happens the world is &^@#ed. He’s going to let back Trump and anyone on the far right banned for breaking the rules back on to be able to lie more and continue their racist, sexist inhuman attacks. It’s going to be a free for all disinformation utopia like Facebook. Twitter isn’t all that great at stopping fake news and accounts that break the rules now, but if Musk gains control it’ll be so much worse and would be a huge blow to democracy. I really hope Twitter doesn’t do this.

Don’t the Taliban, the CCP and Vladimir Putin all have active accounts on Twitter? 

• Cheers 4

33 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's assuming the blue checkmark means the poster is trustworthy, but there's plenty of people with checkmarks that post disinformation.

I'm wondering if we'll see a dislike button added. If the goal is to ban fewer people, then that would allow them to participate, but people could see right away if the tweet is well received or not. 

Yes, but that still limits the number of people one have to look up for credibility. Gonna be way harder to do that if everyone can get one of those.

Point is there is always ways around it but it is just gonna add burden to the user to decipher the intent and factual basis of things and that is not a good thing.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yes, but that still limits the number of people one have to look up for credibility. Gonna be way harder to do that if everyone can get one of those.

Point is there is always ways around it but it is just gonna add burden to the user to decipher the intent and factual basis of things and that is not a good thing.

Anyone can get a checkmark already. I'm doubting the checkmarks have much to do with people being upset.

Twitter about to become a cesspool of disinformation

Just going back to this, I still don't see how that changes much. As @Elias Pettersson pointed out in a couple posts above, there's massive sources of disinformation on the platform already.

So all the outrage just seems silly to me. People were perfectly fine reading tweets from Putin (who has the checkmark), the Taliban, and the CCP, but Elon buying the platform is the problem? Priorities are way off.

• Upvote 4