The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 3-way Trade VAN-MIN-ANA at the Entry Draft

Boeser has a pending QO of $7.5m. He clearly has value as a player, but not many teams can afford to trade for him and sign him. Has he shown that he's not really a good fit on this team?

Fiala is also RFA next season and appears to be the odd one out in MIN. Again he has good value (more valuable than Boeser) but MIN are cap strapped.

A direct deal between VAN and MIN is not on the cards - if MIN cannot afford Fiala then they can't afford Boeser. But what about using a third party to make a deal happen? My proposal is...

From VAN: Boeser + Hoglander................................To VAN: Fiala

From MIN: Fiala.........................................................To MIN: Hoglander + 2022 1st round pick (ANA) top-5 protected

From ANA: 2022 1st round pick (ANA)......................To ANA: Boeser

From VAN perspective they add Hoglander (who is not developing as we would have hoped) in order to upgrade from Boeser to Fiala. Fiala has 3 seasons at more than 0.85pts/gp in MIN and could be signed for less than Boeser's QO of $7.5m. Fiala is a 25 year old dynamic player and a game-breaker.

From MIN perspective, in return for Fiala they get a ELC young forward in Hoglander that may do better with a change of scenery, plus a potential top-10 pick in 2022.

From ANA perspective, they pickup Boeser who fits their rebuild age bracket for only the price of a 1st round pick.

Thoughts?

As I was typing away, saying Fiala isn't worth it, I found myself intrigued at the idea. The Canucks need a boost in their forward group, and he could provide that added skill and speed.  Be tough to give up on Hoglander though.   

16 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If we trade Boeser we need a young defenseman coming back, not a punk with a big mouth who won't back it up.

Say how you really feel:P....ideally I agree but I don't think Boeser is going to get you that young RHD (certainly not a top-4 RHD).

I agree in that I'd rather try and find a young right defenceman if we're going to trade one of Boeser, Garland or Miller.

Personally I hope we persist with Boeser because while it looks like he sucks on the ice, he's scored at a 30+ goal pace for most of his seasons and has regained that under Bruce. 

When you read the Pittsburgh forums they are so high on Brock, and here we're trying to pawn him off.

Of course he's not currently worth 7.5M but that's one season you take on the chin because we wanted him to stay an RFA. I say we resign him, see what he does next year with a full year of Bruce and if he still sucks after that then we either resign him very cheaply or trade him, but I think now's not the time - he's only just 25 and this is when so many young forwards break out.

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

From ANA perspective, they pickup Boeser who fits their rebuild age bracket for only the price of a 1st round pick.

I'll take the 1st for Brock and call it a day. 

Unfortunately unsigned Brock isn't fetcing anything at all I'm afraid. Might have to pay to trade a signed Brock though. 

Anaheim is rebuilding. Unlike the Canucks, they don't trade Top 10 Lotto picks in the middle of their rebuild/retool.

Easy deny for them. Boeser is definitely not worth their lotto pick...if they wanted to acquire him, they have plenty of other resources to do so.

Edited by Blue Jay 22
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'll take the 1st for Brock and call it a day. 

Unfortunately unsigned Brock isn't fetcing anything at all I'm afraid. Might have to pay to trade a signed Brock though. 

Definitely Brock has to be re-signed to a fair contract before even thinking of a trade.  Even at that,

I don't think he picks up a young top 4 pairing dman already playing in the NHL in a trade. 

More likely a prospect with high reward.

I think the best bet for a Brock trade are the Devils (Zacha + Walsh) or Kings (Turcotte + Grans).

Both teams are terribly sparse on the right side.

Wow, a surprising spread of opinions on this one! I am guessing it is more about the personality of Fiala than anything else.

I think Fiala has shown he is more consistent than Boeser. He drives play on whatever line he is on. Scoring 0.85 pt/game over 3 seasons is not to be sniffed at, especially when you consider his linemates over the past 3 years in such as Gaudreau, Johansson, Rask and Koivu. Then factor in that he's only 25. He has a good 6-7 years of prime production to come. I imagine how good he could be with a center like Miller or Petey.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think the best bet for a Brock trade are the Devils (Zacha + Walsh) or Kings (Turcotte + Grans).

Boeser for Turcotte + Grans ??? :lol: C'mon there's no way in hell LAK go for that. Boeser as RFA with a 7.5m QO wouldn't get you one of those two guys.

Zacha + Walsh is more realistic but those two are such a downgrade I don't see the point in that.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Boeser for Turcotte + Grans ??? :lol: C'mon there's no way in hell LAK go for that. Boeser as RFA with a 7.5m QO wouldn't get you one of those two guys.

Well...I did say that there won't be a trade until Brock is signed to a fair contract.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Zacha + Walsh is more realistic but those two are such a downgrade I don't see the point in that.

Well...if that is the case, the Canucks can ask for Sherangovich instead or add a pick.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Definitely Brock has to be re-signed to a fair contract before even thinking of a trade.  Even at that,

I don't think he picks up a young top 4 pairing dman already playing in the NHL in a trade. 

More likely a prospect with high reward.

good lord he's a 25 goal scorer who doesn't do anything else. maybe if he pkd hit fought was still on an elc but even if you sign him for 6m those deals are pipe dreams. 

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Well...I did say that there won't be a trade until Brock is signed to a fair contract.

Well...if that is the case, the Canucks can ask for Sherangovich instead or add a pick.

Sharangovich has more goals at EV than Boeser - doesn't get the same PP opportunities and has just as many points on the season.   That Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer line has been so dynamic since assembled.  Have a hard time thinking they would give up Sharangovich for someone that hasn't been any more productive than him this season.

Their head of analytics Tyler Dellow mocked Benning for going after young players that other teams have given up on.  Boeser's game is not where it needs to be and makes you wonder whether teams see him as an established player having a bad season or a young player that is struggling to take the next step.