The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Getzlaf announces retirement

Rate this topic

Good riddance to bald rubbish. Great player but a Canuck killer and always hated him both on and off the ice. This will make the Ducks a far more likeable team, which I'm not emotionally equipped to deal with right now.

• Cheers 3

We (Hockey Super League) were fortunate to have Anaheim's head coach, Dallas Eakins, join a video call with us to share his hockey experiences with our coaches and players When Eakins was asked who his favorite player was he quickly replied that it was Ryan Getzlaf He followed that up by saying he considered Ryan to be the finest human being he had ever been around and, if he had a son, he would want him to be exactly like Ryan Getzlaf

The guy had a great career and I wish him all the best for a long and healthy retirement

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I remember when I first got into hockey was during that Sens-Ducks final and they'd won the cup. 

Getzlaf was a rookie that season I believe or a sophomore? 

Time flies.

Good on him for retiring at the highest level instead of having to go to Europe to play out his remaining years.

Perry and Getzlaf were both sophomores that year. It was also the first year that the team was called the Anaheim Ducks instead of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I never would've guessed that Getzlaf would've retired before Perry.

• Cheers 1

Loved him as a player, wish he'd been ours. Big, strong, won faceoffs, gritty, fought, put up points year after year. Power forward playmaker, he was Anaheim's Kopitar. 

He didn't win any individual hardware, but he's been a winner his entire career. 

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Perry and Getzlaf were both sophomores that year. It was also the first year that the team was called the Anaheim Ducks instead of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I never would've guessed that Getzlaf would've retired before Perry.

Staal, Perry and Getzlaf all got a lot of time in the AHL working on their skills, lockout induced...   

ANA cup was actually mostly driven by their older stars - Pronger, Neidermayer, Sellane,  McDonald, Kunitz .... but Penner - Getzlaf - Perry definitely played a role.   The lockout helped Staal too...gave that group of guys extra time to get ready and play big minutes before coming up.     That was a veteran team.   Adding May .... If you look at their cup - the last guys engraved, are Penner, Getzlaf and finally Perry.    That team was loaded with a lot of mean dudes, the last throwback team to win a cup.   And penalized 4-1 their entire way ... Pahlsen, Rob N etc - were just as important along the way as anyone else. Scott Thornton,  George Paros, May, Moën lol.   What a crew. 

Edit:  Their isn't a young line today quite like Penner-Getzlaf-Perry.   Selanne scored 96 points that year and was close to retirement.    This is one of those things that i bring up when guys get ranked against others.   If Selanne could score like he did in the 90's - throughout the dead puck era - and come out after the lockout still beating out most of the rest .... it's very easy to compare era to era when the guys in their mid 30's are still beating the next crop of guys.    The 2000's were pretty bad overall, but it did produce some good players.   Getzlaf and Perry - the Sedins - Thornton etc.   Jagr, Sakic, Pronger, Lidstrom, Sundin etc - kept it up in their 30's - Forsberg too but his body was trashed.   Francis did as well.    I'm sure glad that decade is gone and done.  And that the league is finally starting to catch up with expansion as far as talent goes. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Love Getz hell of a player and hell of a career 

yeah felt the same always loved his play of style and was C material, always had that old school mentality and hated playing against him and always seemed to kills us.

• Cheers 1