The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion with Proposals] GM'ing with Multiple Priorities

2 hours ago, BPA said:

If Canucks are able to shed salary (trading Miller, Boeser, etc)…was thinking of trying to take advantage of teams that NEED to make trades like TB.  

TB has players making big coin next year (like Point)  and have to trade other players and sign cheap players.  And I think Sergechev will be looking for a big raise the year after.

The obvious candidates are Cirelli and Killorn. Cirelli is 24yr making $4.8M for 1 more year avg 40pts.  Killorn is 32yr old so Canucks wouldn’t be targeting him.

The less obvious is RHD Cernak.  He’s 24yr making $2.95M for 1 more year avg 15pts but hasn’t really played a full season yet.

Maybe Canucks can swing a deal for one of those 2 players.  Maybe offer Hogz + pick.

TBL are not in any kind of cap trouble. They will have $6.5m in cap space to sign 5 players. Seems likely that Rutta and Elliiot are resigned to cheap contracts (both of whom they get excellent value out of). They do have decisions to make on Palat and Paul. I expect they will try and sign Palat to a cheaper short term contract, but he might take his chance to go UFA and earn some bigger $. I expect they can't afford to resign Paul. So they likely fill these spots from within (they have a few players on their farm team that could make the jump) or sign some cheap UFA wingers. They will not be trading Cernak or Cirelli to make space for Palat and Paul.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, HKSR said:

That's the reality of RHD.  They're extremely hard to acquire.   That's why I'd really not want to move Myers without a legitimate replacement already in place.

Yep.   Leads our team in plus minus this year too.   Maybe we shouldn't be so concerned about what's going on with other players around the league - and if we are do more research.  Lundqvist for example keeps popping up .... how would he rank say compared to Rathbone?   Well one hasn't cracked the top 100 prospects (yet)....but we started the year with 3 who were on it (Woo, Rathbone, OJ)....one moved way up (Rathbone) the others slipped out. 

What if Miller wants $9 x 8 or $10 x 6 or something silly?  Does Allvin pay that to keep him?  And if he doesn't, who will lead the team next season?  

I hope Miller is reasonable, and understands that in order to build a winner, they can't pay one or two players too much, leaving other parts of the roster weaker (e.g TOR and EDM).  Miller appears to be a very good leader, and a team guy, so maybe he is willing to accept something like $8.5 x 6.

I suspect that if Miller is re-signed, Horvat (to PHI?) and more will be traded. Possibly to get another D and Top 6 winger.

Podkolzin - Miller - Tippett

I'd love to see this line

On 4/17/2022 at 6:36 PM, NUCKER67 said:

What if Miller wants $9 x 8 or $10 x 6 or something silly?  Does Allvin pay that to keep him?  And if he doesn't, who will lead the team next season?  

I hope Miller is reasonable, and understands that in order to build a winner, they can't pay one or two players too much, leaving other parts of the roster weaker (e.g TOR and EDM).  Miller appears to be a very good leader, and a team guy, so maybe he is willing to accept something like $8.5 x 6.

I suspect that if Miller is re-signed, Horvat (to PHI?) and more will be traded. Possibly to get another D and Top 6 winger.

Podkolzin - Miller - Tippett

I'd love to see this line

I don't think he's going to get a contract like that.   In the open market.   He knows he's not going to a contender either, rather a team with cap space.   I'm not terribly worried about Miller staying with us.   He's earned his raise and he will get it.   Zibanejad minus a couple years in term given his age is his likely baseline.   We might need to add a little bit for taxes but not much, NYR also pay high taxes.   Plus we are the team that gave him a chance and is going to make him rich as f!ck.   You'd be hard pressed to find a better option for him winning wise as well. 

Edited by IBatch