The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Moving Miller and Boeser again...

To NYR:

Boeser

To VAN:

Lundkvist

Kravtsov

2nd

NYR are surprisingly weak on the RW.  Boeser would immediately fix that for them.  At a minimum, Boeser is a 20 to 25G top 6 RWer.

VAN gets what they can while shedding some major cap space.  Lundkvist could look very good next to a steady defender like Dermott in a couple years.  Kravtsov could slot in right away.  A 2nd round pick gives the Canucks a selection in Round 2 this year.

And here's the big one... hear me out...

To WPG:

JT Miller

To VAN:

Pierre Luc Dubois

A true hockey trade. 

Winnipeg's window is NOW.  Look at the ages of all of their key guys up and down the lineup.  They're all in the latter half of their 20s.  JT Miller fits right into that age group.  They go all in now and push in this window of probably 4 or 5 years to try and get it done. 

Pierre Luc Dubois is 23 years old and an RFA likely looking for $7M AAV.  He will likely peak when the rest of the Jets are tapering off, which doesn't make sense for them.

Locking him into a 5 year deal would bring him right to his prime years where he can cash in then.  Dubois would be a perfect replacement for Miller, and falls right into the age group of the Canucks key guys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

IMO you have over-rated the worth of BB on the trade market and under-valued JT Miller.

Kravtsov has really little value if at all right now.  Lundkvist and a 2nd for Boeser is pretty fair.  I base it off Buchnevich going for Blais and a 2nd last offseason. 

I think you undervalue a 23yo centre like Dubois.  He carries a ton of value.

• Like 1

I don't see NYR interested in BB.  They need a play-driver, not a back-seat driver.  That might sound harsh, but I don't think anyone can say that BB drives play. 

Also, maybe I'm being too presumptuous, but in my view Winnipeg's 'window' is long gone.  That's how fast your time comes/goes in today's cap-dominated NHL.  As such, I don't see them interested in trading PLD.  I think they targeted PLD specifically so he'd be there when the current core is done - which might be sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't see NYR interested in BB.  They need a play-driver, not a back-seat driver.  That might sound harsh, but I don't think anyone can say that BB drives play. 

Also, maybe I'm being too presumptuous, but in my view Winnipeg's 'window' is long gone.  That's how fast your time comes/goes in today's cap-dominated NHL.  As such, I don't see them interested in trading PLD.  I think they targeted PLD specifically so he'd be there when the current core is done - which might be sooner rather than later. 

I don't think Winnipeg is done.  I think they're having an off year by Scheifele and Hellebuyck.  That's like the Canucks having an off year for Petey and Demko...

If those 2 guys get back to their game next year, they'll be right back in the top 10 in the league.  I'm certain of that.

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Dubois just joined Winterpeg, where his dad is one of the coaches of their AHL franchise.  I'm pretty sure he'd rather stay there for now.

Don't really think players have a say in where they go when they don't have a NTC or NMC :) 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think Winnipeg is done.  I think they're having an off year by Scheifele and Hellebuyck.  That's like the Canucks having an off year for Petey and Demko...

If those 2 guys get back to their game next year, they'll be right back in the top 10 in the league.  I'm certain of that.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS: Mark McIntyre believes the Jets’ offseason priority must be repairing a defense that is “comically painful to watch.” Part of the solution could come from promising young blueliners such as Dylan Samberg, Ville Heinola, Johnathan Kovacevic, Declan Chisholm and Leon Gawanke.

Making room for those players, however, should force general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff to seriously consider moving one or two of his veteran core players. McIntyre believes Josh Morrissey should be the only full-time Jets defender considered untouchable. He recommends Cheveldayoff explore peddling any one of Brenden Dillon, Nate Schmidt, Dylan DeMelo and Neal Pionk.

NBC SPORTS: Sean Leahy also recommends the Jets repair their blueline corps. He believes that will require trades as Cheveldayoff isn’t the type of GM to toss around money in the free-agent market.

Leahy feels the Jets cannot afford to waste the prime years of Morrissey, goaltender Connor Hellebuyck and forwards Pierre-Luc Dubois, Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers and Mark Scheifele. “Maybe someone in that group is moved this summer in order to facilitate improvement elsewhere”, he writes.

WINNIPEG SUN: Scott Billeck believes it seems clear that Scheifele isn’t buying into the system of Jets interim coach Dave Lowry. He wondered if a new head coach could help the center improve his performance after an inconsistent effort this season.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: The Jets have reached a critical crossroads. They were expected to be much better after a solid performance during last season’s COVID-shortened schedule. Cheveldayoff cannot make marginal changes and expect things to get better next season. A shakeup to the roster core seems likely.

That could involve trading Scheifele but he has two more seasons remaining on his contract with a $6.125 million annual cap hit and a 10-team no-trade clause. Perhaps hiring a coach that Scheifele would respect might get him back on track but it won’t create the cap space needed to make room for younger blueliners.

Schmidt, 30, also has a 10-team no-trade clause and a $5.95 million annual cap hit through 2024-25. Dillon would be easier to move given his lack of no-trade protection and $3.9 million cap hit for two more seasons. However, the 31-year-old could be at the stage in his career where his best seasons are now behind him.

Pionk is younger at 26 and still has some prime years left in him. He also lacks a no-trade clause but his $5.875 million cap hit through 2024-25 might not be easy to move with the salary cap rising marginally for next season. DeMelo, 28, has a six-team no-trade clause but a cost-effective $3 million annual cap hit for two more seasons.

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

ottawa fans seem really interested in boeser and garland. ottawa can take boeser complete cap hit, they have picks and prospect that could work  for us. they also have right hand d men that would help us.

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sure, but they can be disgruntled.  Do we want a highly-paid disgruntled player?

There's a reason why Laine and Dubois swapped locations.

Wasn't torts there when Dubois wanted out?

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

ottawa fans seem really interested in boeser and garland. ottawa can take boeser complete cap hit, they have picks and prospect that could work  for us. they also have right hand d men that would help us.

who are they suggesting back? if Batherson is part of it, I'm interested. 

With only 11.7m in cap space next season NYR are going to struggle to afford to fill the 7 roster spaces they have. They have Kakko, Strome, Copp, Vatrano, Motte, Gauthier, Braun, Geogiev all expiring. I don't think they would be looking to sign Boeser to $7.5m (or even ~$6m in case Boeser would agree to a discount).

I think a big part of the reason why a Miller trade to NYR was proposed is that we could retain salary and Miller at $2.6m next season would be affordable for NYR. But NYR wouldn't be able to afford to resign Miller in 2023-24 - he would just be a rental.

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

IMO you have over-rated the worth of BB on the trade market and under-valued JT Miller.

I don't think so on the Boeser one. Lundkvist hasn't proven anything at the NHL level, and he's smal. Kravtsov is a throw away piece, gives them a spot on their 50 man  roster to move him. The 2nd is maybe debatable, but Boeser is a nice add for them. 

I will give you a 3 way trade that may work................This is a hockey trade...................all teams deal with their own Cap issues!

Winnipeg trades ................Dubois + Scheifele  + Pionk    OUT: $17,000,000               for                Miller , Boeser and  Dumba         IN: $17,250,000

Vancouver trades...............Miller + Boeser                        OUT: $11,125,000                for                Dubois, Pionk and 2022- 1st       IN: $10,875,000

Minni trades........................Dumba + 2022-1st                  OUT:  $6,000,000                 for                Scheifele                                     IN:  $6,125,000

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Miller is only Canuck the NYR would be interested in...Copps might turn out big for NYR..They might not be interested in Miller..

Lets hope NYR get knocked out quick and Miller will be that missing power forward for next years...

LA need a Miller 6'1, 215 Lbs for playoff next year.. If LA had Miller they would be a lock for playoff now..

SO I see NYR and LA Kings in trade talks.. Return should be big for Canucks..

LA-- Faber 20 ,RD, 6'1 -- Valardi, 22, 6'3, C --Lemieux, 26, 6'2, 212 ,W --- 2nd rounder 2022

NYR- Lundqvist, 21 RD, 5'11 -Chytil, 22, 6'3, C--Robertson 21, LD, 6'4 --- (( Kravstov 22, 6'2 -W-- Added this player as Rangers don't have many draft picks ))