The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ducks retain Dallas Eakins as head coach for next season

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, Rubik said:

weren't they in a playoff position all season until the trade deadline? often even leading the division?

Not that I recall. On March 6, before their massive losing stretch, they were at a .543 point percentage, which is very close to where we are now. On January 29, they were .574 and if you go back into December, they were probably in a playoff spot. From the start of 2022 until now, they have gone 12-23-5. A monumental collapse, really, though I think some would think of it as a return to reality, depending on their perspective.

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not that I recall. On March 6, before their massive losing stretch, they were at a .543 point percentage, which is very close to where we are now. On January 29, they were .574 and if you go back into December, they were probably in a playoff spot. From the start of 2022 until now, they have gone 12-23-5. A monumental collapse, really, though I think some would think of it as a return to reality, depending on their perspective.

I'm sure at some points they led the division, but that must have been pretty early on then, probably in November or early December. And they have players like Terry, Zegras, Drsydale - and I still like Gibson - so lots to love about that team. The Kings' and the Ducks' rebuilds are going very well, the Sharks' on the other hand... I'm just happy with where they are right now lol

45 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I'm sure at some points they led the division, but that must have been pretty early on then, probably in November or early December. And they have players like Terry, Zegras, Drsydale - and I still like Gibson - so lots to love about that team. The Kings' and the Ducks' rebuilds are going very well, the Sharks' on the other hand... I'm just happy with where they are right now lol

Yeah, they went on a huge winning streak in November and may have been leading the Pacific at that time.

• Cheers 1

The focus is on development.  Anaheim are committed to a rebuild and must feel Eakins can help their young players take the next step.  He initially got the position because of the work he did with their prospects down in San Diego.  

Anaheim in a similar situation as Detroit.  Verbeek worked with Yzerman where they've retained Blashill despite a losing record - it's been about player progress and not the record with veterans no longer performing and prospects still needing more experience.