The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baumgartner to Coach Canada U18

Rate this topic

Fanuck

https://www.tsn.ca/nolan-baumgartner-under-18-hockey-canada-1.1785606

I didn't know tht Baumgartner was the assistant coach at the Olympics: 

Hockey Canada announced Thursday that Nolan Baumgartner has been named head coach of Canada’s World Men’s Under-18 team that will begin play in Germany next week.

Joining him behind the bench will be assistants Kori Cheverie, Todd Miller, David Struch and David Struchalong with goaltending consultant Brad Kirkwood.

“We are excited to unveil the coaching staff that will lead Canada’s National Men’s Under-18 Team as it looks to defend last year’s gold medal,” said Hockey Senior VP of Hockey Operations Scott Salmond in a statement. “We are fortunate to have a diverse and experienced coaching staff that includes Nolan’s NHL and Olympic experience, Kori’s gold medal pedigree with Canada’s Women’s Olympic Team and National Women’s Under-18 Team, veteran CHL experience from both Todd and David, and Brad’s extensive background at the U SPORTS, WHL and Olympic levels.”

Baumgartner most recently served as an assistant coach with Canada’s Men’s Olympic Team at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.

He also spent parts of four seasons as an assistant coach with the Vancouver Canucks (2017-21), and was an assistant coach in the American Hockey League for five seasons with the Chicago Wolves (2012-13) and Utica Comets (2013-17). As a player, Baumgartner had a 16-year professional career in the NHL and AHL, amassing 390 points in 878 career AHL games. He also won back-to-back Memorial Cups with the Kamloops Blazers of the Western Hockey League (WHL) in 1994 and 1995, and won gold medals with Canada’s National Junior Team at the IIHF World Junior Championship in 1995 and 1996, serving as captain in his second year.

Cheverie becomes the first woman to serve as a coach with one of Canada’s men’s national teams. She most recently served as an assistant coach with the men’s hockey team at Ryerson University for five seasons (2016-21) and won a gold medal as an assistant coach with Canada’s Women’s Olympic Team at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.

She also won a gold medal as an assistant coach with Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team at the 2019 IIHF U18 Women’s World Championship, and was an assistant coach with Canada’s National Women’s Team for the Rivalry Series in February 2020. Cheverie also served as head coach of Team Ontario Red at the 2019 National Women’s Under-18 Championship, winning a gold medal.

Miller was the head coach of the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) this season, and was previously an assistant coach with the OHL’s Barrie Colts for 10 seasons (2010-20) and the WHL’s Brandon Wheat Kings for one season (2020-21).

As a player, he played two seasons with the Collingwood Blues of the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League before spending three seasons in the OHL with the Sarnia Sting (1995-96), Owen Sound Platers (1996-97), North Bay Centennials (1997-98) and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (1997-98).

Struch spent the past nine seasons with the WHL’s Regina Pats, serving as assistant coach (2014-16), assistant coach and assistant general manager (2016-18), head coach and assistant GM (2018-21) and head coach (2021-22). He also served eight seasons with the Saskatoon Blades as an assistant coach (2006-12), associate coach (2012-13) and head coach (2013-14).

Kirkwood has served as goaltending consultant for Canada’s National Women’s Team since 2015, earning a gold medal at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, as well as silver medals at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games and 2016 and 2017 IIHF Women’s World Championships. Kirkwood also won a gold medal with Canada’s National Women’s Development Team at the 2015 Nations Cup. He is the goaltending coach for the men’s and women’s hockey teams at the University of Calgary and for the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen.

Edited by Fanuck
  • Haha 1

• Fanuck changed the title to Baumgartner to Coach Canada U18
10 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Here's another idea, how about we wait until the event is history before we comment on his ability, or not, to lead a national team this year.

The guy has coached at the Olympic, AHL and NHL level.  He certainly has the experience to qualify

him to coach at the Jr level.  This will be his first opportunity as a head coach, which will help

with his ongoing development.

Many Canuck fans tend to be hyper critical 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The guy has coached at the Olympic, AHL and NHL level.  He certainly has the experience to qualify

him to coach at the Jr level.  This will be his first opportunity as a head coach, which will help

with his ongoing development.

Many Canuck fans tend to be hyper critical 

He has failed at every level he has coached at and was gifted an NHL coaching job due to nepotism.  Once he was gifted a job by Green, he followed up by proving that he has no idea how to implement any kind of effective system and was a major reason for the team struggling.  He has done literally nothing to suggest he belongs behind a bench at any level.  He might be able to handle a WHL job with adult supervision, but this is not good for our young players to unlearn everything this idiot teaches them.

I would prefer if Team Canada had a head coach who wasn't a complete idiot.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I've noticed that you sure are quick to call people idiots these days.

I reckon there was a list of qualified applicants for the job and the powers that be selected Baumer. 

These are hockey people that made the decision and I trust they chose the coach that they though

would do the best job.  We'll have to wait and see how things go in January.

One certainty is that they know a lot more about hockey coaching then either you or I (or anyone else

on this board).

I'd sooner hire a random CDCer to coach than this incompetent clown.  Whoever seriously thought bringing in Baumgarter was a good idea should have been fired on the spot.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

44 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd sooner hire a random CDCer to coach than this incompetent clown.  Whoever seriously thought bringing in Baumgarter was a good idea should have been fired on the spot.

I'm no fan of Baumer but this level is a few tiers below NHL and you're more qualified to make a judgement vs the professionals that hired him? Good 4 u.

• Cheers 1

Just now, J-P said:

I'm no fan of Baumer but this level is a few tiers below NHL and you're more qualified to make a judgement vs the professionals that hired him? Good 4 u.

What has he done to indicate he is qualified to coach at this level?  He's clearly demonstrated a lack of understanding of basic defensive concepts.  No one in their right mind would hire him for any coaching position, let alone trust him with some of the top prospects in the country.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Hockey Canada to hire an actual coach instead of an incompetent baboon.

2012-13 Chicago Wolves - Missed Playoffs

2013-14 Utica Comets - Missed Playoffs

2014-15 Utica Comets - Finals

2015-16 Utica Comets - Lost in 1st Round

2016-17 Utica Comets - Missed Playoffs

2017-18 Vancouver Canucks - Missed Playoffs

2018-19 Vancouver Canucks - Missed Playoffs

2019-20 Vancouver Canucks - Lost in 2nd Round

2020-21 Vancouver Canucks - Missed Playoffs

2021-22 Vancouver Canucks - FIRED

2022 Olympics - Did Not Medal

I dunno, that's a pretty sad history while behind the bench...

• Cheers 1

wow ..... just read this entire thread and have to say it both lived up, and down to my expectations. I guess visceral, mean spirited professional character assassination is the coolest thing now

should have just steered clear

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I've noticed that you sure are quick to call people idiots these days.

I reckon there was a list of qualified applicants for the job and the powers that be selected Baumer. 

These are hockey people that made the decision and I trust they chose the coach that they though

would do the best job.  We'll have to wait and see how things go in January.

One certainty is that they know a lot more about hockey coaching then either you or I (or anyone else

on this board).

lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1