The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baumgartner to Coach Canada U18

Rate this topic

Fanuck

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yikes.  Hopefully he doesn't do permanent damage to any of the players' development.  Allowing this unqualified idiot to coach any national team is a disgrace to the country.

He must be related to Tom Renney head of hockey Canada? 

33 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

May God have mercy on their poor, young souls and hockey careers ...

Just being honest there are lots of better choice coaches from WHL or OHL leagues with proven coaching records...Serious come on he should be starting in BCJHL or WHL as coach first...

See how good he is with a average team?

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Both Kamloops Blazers alumni from when their teams were stacked.

Your right of course, Baughmgartner was a star D man in Kamloops and Renney was the coach... Now I understand how he got this opportunity ..

So many great coaches with proven records in WHL or OHL to pick from...Baumgartner has no coaching experience but has connection with Renney so so wrong...Should be one of the top coaches in WHL or OHL, QJHL, to coach..Reward for being a good coach....

19 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I've noticed that you sure are quick to call people idiots these days.

I reckon there was a list of qualified applicants for the job and the powers that be selected Baumer. 

These are hockey people that made the decision and I trust they chose the coach that they though

would do the best job.  We'll have to wait and see how things go in January.

One certainty is that they know a lot more about hockey coaching then either you or I (or anyone else

on this board).

Maybe the qualified applicant list is short like politicians ones "seem" to be :rolleyes:

Maybe the hockey people making the decisions have dual citizenship, or promised one)::D

Seriously though i wish the best for the kids and Team and together they achieve their goal of winning the Tourney together

I always look forward to this event

On 4/14/2022 at 12:50 PM, higgyfan said:

The guy has coached at the Olympic, AHL and NHL level.  He certainly has the experience to qualify

him to coach at the Jr level.  This will be his first opportunity as a head coach, which will help

with his ongoing development.

Many Canuck fans tend to be hyper critical 

On top of that, as a player, 

Major Junior

AHL

*starter, **captain of Canadian All-Stars

International

As well it should be noted that he captained the AHL All Star Team, captained AHL Manitoba Moose two different times, and was drafted 10th overall in '94 by the Caps.

Dude has the credentials and deserves this promotion to coach our Under 18's.......'Nuff said!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 3:49 PM, Sativika said:

On top of that, as a player, 

Major Junior

AHL

*starter, **captain of Canadian All-Stars

International

As well it should be noted that he captained the AHL All Star Team, captained AHL Manitoba Moose two different times, and was drafted 10th overall in '94 by the Caps.

Dude has the credentials and deserves this promotion to coach our Under 18's.......'Nuff said!

Gretzky was an awfully coach; playing records are useless for evaluating coaches. Bottom line is Baumgartner has been grossly incompetent in every coaching position he's held and has done nothing to indicate he is qualified to coach at any level.  Sabotaging every team you are entrusted with by displaying an inability to implement any kind of effective strategy is not a good resume. I'm grateful this baboon can't do any more damage to the Canucks, but I'm worried for the young Canadian players who may have their development stunted by a bad coach.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:29 PM, YEGCanuck said:

Here's another idea, how about we wait until the event is history before we comment on his ability, or not, to lead a national team this year.

Is now a good time to comment?

39% PK.

That says it all really. Can’t defend and can’t do specialty teams. I hope this is the last time we see Baumgartner as a part of any of our hockey teams from Abbotsford to the Canucks or Canada. It’s crystal clear by now: he can’t coach.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Is now a good time to comment?

39% PK.

That says it all really. Can’t defend and can’t do specialty teams. I hope this is the last time we see Baumgartner as a part of any of our hockey teams from Abbotsford to the Canucks or Canada. It’s crystal clear by now: he can’t coach.

Bumgartner is still a very young coach, so he can lead.  But right now he seems to turn his players into system robots, and takes their natural hockey talents out of them.  Way too much standing around thinking instead of playing natural.  Less complex systems, where guys are too often thinking instead of simplified plans where guys can play fast and show their skill. 

He needs to be in the AHL learning coaching is not so much about  X’s and O’s at the top level and more about freeing up players to be able to be at their best.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bumgartner is still a very young coach, so he can lead.  But right now he seems to turn his players into system robots, and takes their natural hockey talents out of them.  Way too much standing around thinking instead of playing natural.  Less complex systems, where guys are too often thinking instead of simplified plans where guys can play fast and show their skill. 

He needs to be in the AHL learning coaching is not so much about  X’s and O’s at the top level and more about freeing up players to be able to be at their best.  

Well he did learn under Green so the whole “must fit system” mantra isn’t exactly surprising, but good coaches always build their system to fit their players. He doesn’t know how to do that.

11 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Well he did learn under Green so the whole “must fit system” mantra isn’t exactly surprising, but good coaches always build their system to fit their players. He doesn’t know how to do that.

Exactly.  He needs to go to the WHL and learn under an actual coach before he's allowed to cause more damage to young players than he already has.  I'm not sure how anyone could think this baboon is qualified to coach at any level whatsoever given his performance so far.

Baumgartner flat out disgraced his country with the same level of gross incompetence that he displayed here.  He was every bit as much of a handicap to the team as he predicted, and Hockey Canada should be ashamed of themselves for subjecting our players to a coach who is too stupid to handle beer league.

Edited by King Heffy

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, HKSR said:

2012-13 Chicago Wolves - Missed Playoffs

2013-14 Utica Comets - Missed Playoffs

2014-15 Utica Comets - Finals

2015-16 Utica Comets - Lost in 1st Round

2016-17 Utica Comets - Missed Playoffs

2017-18 Vancouver Canucks - Missed Playoffs

2018-19 Vancouver Canucks - Missed Playoffs

2019-20 Vancouver Canucks - Lost in 2nd Round

2020-21 Vancouver Canucks - Missed Playoffs

2021-22 Vancouver Canucks - FIRED

2022 Olympics - Did Not Medal

I dunno, that's a pretty sad history while behind the bench...

And now we add:

2022 IIHF U18s - Did Not Medal