The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft Lottery to be held on May 10th

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Max you can move up is 10 spots. Watch the Canucks finally win the draft lottery only to not pick first overall.

Nemec or Jiricek would be a great consolation.  Hell I'd even consider trading 5th to Arizona for their every other pick in this draft 

4 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I just love the 2015 draft.  The 3 picks by Boston and then the 3 right after them.  Let's hope, if we don't make the playoffs, that there's a Barzal, Connor or Chabot available.

1 13 Boston Jakub Zboril D Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL] 54 0 12 12 22 2021-22
1 14 Boston Jake DeBrusk L Swift Current Broncos [WHL] 315 90 82 172 65 2021-22
1 15 Boston Zachary Senyshyn R Soo Greyhounds [OHL] 16 1 2 3 4 2021-22
1 16 NY Islanders Mathew Barzal C Seattle Thunderbirds [WHL] 356 90 214 304 192 2021-22
1 17 Winnipeg Kyle Connor L Youngstown Phantoms [USHL] 379 174 164 338 88 2021-22
1 18 Ottawa Thomas Chabot D Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL] 309 41 143 184 150 2021-22

That was Sweeney's first draft.  I'm convinced he thought he could move up near the top of the draft with those 3 picks.  Arizona picked 3rd after all.  And when they wouldn't bite, he had no plan B and the only guys they had scouted outside the top 10 were 2nd rounders.

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

That's a loser mentality right there. I'd HATE my team to adopt it.

I have a vague recollection of a Homer Simpson(?) line, how his family weren't quitters, they were losers... and when you think about it, being a loser is the better of the two options.  :)

regards,  G.

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, who reps the Canucks?  JR or Allvin?  Not feeling overly optimistic with the lottery results, hasn't favoured the Canucks before. With the late season push and all of those wins, I'm thinking the Canucks pick at #15.  This is a problem. Maybe JR and Allvin make a splash at the Draft to move up. Remember, they don't have a superstar.

Nobody. Cause the Canucks are making the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

Wait did they change that rule again?  What a bunch of bull$&!#tery this league hates us

They changed it last year.  This is the second year it’s been in effect.  I seriously doubt it was done to specifically screw with Vancouver. Lol 

8 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Looks to me like Pickering's our guy.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd be ok with that. 

Another LD? Depending on what the word on the floor is going into the draft, I might be convinced to trade down a few spots for one of those RD with size and defensive ability, unless there's something I haven't noticed in my quick scan of the prospects in that 15+ range.

regards,  G>

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, qwijibo said:

They changed it last year.  This is the second year it’s been in effect.  I seriously doubt it was done to specifically screw with Vancouver. Lol 

I know but it's still stupid that the only years that any team could pick top 3 were the years that we were the worst in the league so we've been more screwed over by the draft lottery than any other team

29 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Another LD? Depending on what the word on the floor is going into the draft, I might be convinced to trade down a few spots for one of those RD with size and defensive ability, unless there's something I haven't noticed in my quick scan of the prospects in that 15+ range.

regards,  G>

I agree in trying to find a RD as opposed to LD but I wonder what it would take to move up a few spots if one of Nemec of Jiricek starts to slide down. As it is Jiricek has been put in the 9th slot by a recent sportsnet mock and in January Bob McKenzie had Nemec at 9th. 

I think I would be looking into what Buffalo would take for the 8th pick. They just selected Owen Power and have Dahlin as an anchor on D. Maybe they would be willing to move to 15th with the right pieces attached (not sure what they would be). Obviously this is dependent on who moves up or down in the lottery but might be worth having a deal in the back pocket for draft day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Highstickin said:

I agree in trying to find a RD as opposed to LD but I wonder what it would take to move up a few spots if one of Nemec of Jiricek starts to slide down. As it is Jiricek has been put in the 9th slot by a recent sportsnet mock and in January Bob McKenzie had Nemec at 9th. 

I think I would be looking into what Buffalo would take for the 8th pick. They just selected Owen Power and have Dahlin as an anchor on D. Maybe they would be willing to move to 15th with the right pieces attached (not sure what they would be). Obviously this is dependent on who moves up or down in the lottery but might be worth having a deal in the back pocket for draft day. 

I would also  be okay with this option. The caveat here is that it would cost assets to move up, while trading down brings in assets, .. unless there is a bigger deal in the works (eg. our well thought of veteran player for their highly valued prospect and an exchange of 1sts).

Werk dem phones....  :)

regards,  G,

Edited by Gollumpus