The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Legend Lost - Lafleur Passes Away at 70

Rate this topic

HKSR

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

RIP to Le Demon Blonde. Maybe instead of starting useless wars, and pursuing extreme wealth we could put money into Cancer research or more productive uses. 

cancer-funding-cartoon.jpg

seriously though, maybe just maybe if he hadn't smoked 2 packs DURING the games, he would've played and lived alot longer.

( I've seen pictures of him in the tunnel between shifts smoking his brains out)

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

RIP to Le Demon Blonde. Maybe instead of starting useless wars, and pursuing extreme wealth we could put money into Cancer research or more productive uses. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe someone should start a campaign to tell folks that SMOKING IS BAD

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

Maybe someone should start a campaign to tell folks that SMOKING IS BAD

Fortunately, I think the messaging has been working, as I honestly feel like I rarely see anyone smoking anymore.  At least in the Lower Mainland. 

Now vaping on the other hand.....

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Another hockey icon gone. Rest In Peace, Mr. Lafleur.

I remember when Sammy Polluck wrangled Guy away from California so he could take his rightful spot with the Habs. A lot of fanfare to his arrival, maybe not as much as Beliveau but all the same a grand affair. Lafleur-Tardiff-Reggie Houle. What a line! Guy busting down the right side, hair flying. His incredible shot. Yes, the shot that destroyed Gerry Cheevers and the upstart Bruins. I was a Habs fan when most in our town were Bruin fans since Johnny Bucyk lived here in the off season. I met Orr, Sather and Westfall but it didn’t change my love of the Habs. Much of that was because of Lafleur’s speed and grace. He used to be a 2 pack a day smoker. RIP Flower.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Had the honour to meet Lafluer in Victoria after an old timers game - a few years after he retired.   Won't ever forget it.   Put bottle rockets on his skates and did one fast lap ... no greys yet - widows peak ... for a moment it was like he was doing his things in the 70's again.   Was a night i won't ever forget.   People need to understand that these guys were amazing athletes.    RIP Lafluer. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I remember when Sammy Polluck wrangled Guy away from California so he could take his rightful spot with the Habs. A lot of fanfare to his arrival, maybe not as much as Beliveau but all the same a grand affair. Lafleur-Tardiff-Reggie Houle. What a line! Guy busting down the right side, hair flying. His incredible shot. Yes, the shot that destroyed Gerry Cheevers and the upstart Bruins. I was a Habs fan when most in our town were Bruin fans since Johnny Bucyk lived here in the off season. I met Orr, Sather and Westfall but it didn’t change my love of the Habs. Much of that was because of Lafleur’s speed and grace. He used to be a 2 pack a day smoker. RIP Flower.

So was Probert.  A lot of athletes used to smoke right until the 2000's.   Doesn't make them any less.   Players Light.  Plastered all over the place.  The "athetes smoke".   In 1985 a report came out that just living in Mexico City was like smoking two unfiltered packs a day.   Masons.   Miners.   Landscapers.   Carpenters.   Drywallers.  They all inhale crap all day long too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Had the honour to meet Lafluer in Victoria after an old timers game - a few years after he retired.   Won't ever forget it.   Put bottle rockets on his skates and did one fast lap ... no greys yet - widows peak ... for a moment it was like he was doing his things in the 70's again.   Was a night i won't ever forget.   People need to understand that these guys were amazing athletes.    RIP Lafluer. 

I'm pretty sure I was at the same game there.  He was easily the best player on the ice and there were a lot of great ones.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1