The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Legend Lost - Lafleur Passes Away at 70

Rate this topic

HKSR

He was always the enemy as I was a Boston fan back in the 70's, but I have to grudgingly admit that he was one of the best to ever lace them up.  I'll never forget how he effortlessly cruised down the right wing with speed, hair flowing, and scored with a wrist shot past some of the best goalies in the world, time and time again.  It was frustrating but it was also a thing of beauty.  RIP M. Lafleur.

One of the most exciting players ever. The old Forum crowd would erupt almost every time he touched the puck and turned up ice. 

Heaven's team just got a little stronger on the right side with the additions of Bossy and LaFleur. Howe, Bossy and LaFleur as your RW's on your 1st 3 lines?

RIP Mr. Lafleur and thank you for the cherished memories.

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

One of the greatest hockey photos ever, if you notice who's in the background…

BBDD8153-71D4-4C28-AE76-F9AE2DB61F2D.jpeg

This is pretty amazing…Mario has said f$@# cancer himself.

The flower should have never been a Montreal Canadien but it’s probably better he was.

RIP

• Huggy Bear 2

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

One of the most exciting players ever. The old Forum crowd would erupt almost every time he touched the puck and turned up ice. 

Heaven's team just got a little stronger on the right side with the additions of Bossy and LaFleur. Howe, Bossy and LaFleur as your RW's on your 1st 3 lines?

RIP Mr. Lafleur and thank you for the cherished memories.

Yes.  And here on Earth Wayne, Mario and Sidney up the middle...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  And Wayne, Mario and Sidney up the middle...

Eek... just for the sake of karma for those guys, maybe edit your post... he was talking about the roster in Heaven...

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Bossy and Lafleur back to back.  One of the worst months in hockey history.

Lafleur, what a legend.  His comeback in the late 80s / early 90s was awesome.  How many players can simply lace it up again at will during what should be retirement age just because they didn't like the way things ended the first time.  Everyone else gets forced out of the game.  Lafleur came back just as Dionne was exiting the exact same way Lafleur did the first time.  Once Perreault, Gillies, Bossy, Billy Smith were all already retired...most or all of whom started after Lafleur...and Guy was lacing them up again to go out the way he wanted...and fittingly as a Nordique.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Another great one lost too soon.

Back in the day, even Stars like Lafleur were sometimes smokers and heavy drinkers.

He admitted it cut his career short.  Could have had a lot more games and points.

Totally dominated the league at his high point, that Montreal team was probably the best of any in history when compared to its opposition.

• Cheers 1

What Lafleur had was incredible acceleration and speed, great puck handling skills and a really quick release on his slapshot with tremendous accuracy.

He loved coming down the right side and slapping the puck... he could hit the far corner of the net if there was any room.

Here's a reel which highlights some of those abilities.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm pretty sure I was at the same game there.  He was easily the best player on the ice and there were a lot of great ones.

Dionne actually impressed me the most. Was skating circles around everyone really.   But Lafluer was still doing his thing too.   That's pretty cool if your were there too... old Cougar arena ... have to ask the wife but guessing around 97-98...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1