Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | April/May (24-01) 2022

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

I'm being very lazy today, but has the NHL ever had this many 100 point/40 goal players as this year has given us? The HNIC panel were saying goals for are the highest in years this season too. I just quickly went down the list of 40 goal scorers. 12 have hit 40, and about 5 more could reach that mark. Seams like a lot to me.

Edited by johngould21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When guys like Seider, Raymond, and Zadina are available at the 4-6 slot he knows getting that 1st overall doesn’t really matter.

Zadina still a work in progress but when you in that range more hits than misses for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Zadina still a work in progress but when you in that range more hits than misses for sure. 

Yea Zadina obviously hasn’t made the impact of the other two.

 

I still see him as an impact player in the future though. Probably just a late bloomer that won’t enter his prime until he’s around 25.

 

 

Edited by DeNiro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea Zadina obviously hasn’t made the impact of the other two.

 

I still see him as an impact player in the future though. Probably just a late bloomer that won’t enter hiss prime until he’s around 25.

Still they probably wish they drafted Hughes though. Missed picks happen to everyone though. Flyers could have had Makar/Heiskanen, we could have had Tkachuk/Ehlers/etc, Bruins in 2015 could have had 3 impact players(Boeser/Konency/Barzal/etc) with their three 1sts.  
 

Could go on and on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Still they probably wish they drafted Hughes though. Missed picks happen to everyone though. Flyers could have had Makar/Heiskanen, we could have had Tkachuk/Ehlers/etc, Bruins in 2015 could have had 3 impact players(Boeser/Konency/Barzal/etc) with their three 1sts.  
 

Could go on and on. 

Yea but at least missing on Hughes didn’t equal a total bust.

 

Benning choosing busts in the top 10 in 2 out of 3 drafts in 2014 and 2016 absolutely kills a teams rebuild.

 

Completely unacceptable for a so called draft guru.

 

 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but at least missing on Hughes didn’t equal a total bust.

 

Benning choosing busts in the top 10 in 2 out of 3 drafts in 2014 and 2016 absolutely kills a teams rebuild.

 

Completely unacceptable for a so called draft guru.

 

 

Benning was arrogant about his draft talents.  Can’t believe he said, “why is nobody taking Lind”?  Just shows how he believed he could draft better (with fewer picks) than other clubs.  Then to make matters worse, he thought he could watch a prospect for a few games and know more about that player than scouts who put in 1000’s of hours watching over several years.  

I very much hope Allvin builds a great scouting staff and then gives them full autonomy to generate our draft list.  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but at least missing on Hughes didn’t equal a total bust.

 

Benning choosing busts in the top 10 in 2 out of 3 drafts in 2014 and 2016 absolutely kills a teams rebuild.

 

Completely unacceptable for a so called draft guru.

 

 

It def hurts us today, no question 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning was arrogant about his draft talents.  Can’t believe he said, “why is nobody taking Lind”?  Just shows how he believed he could draft better (with fewer picks) than other clubs.  Then to make matters worse, he thought he could watch a prospect for a few games and know more about that player than scouts who put in 1000’s of hours watching over several years.  

I very much hope Allvin builds a great scouting staff and then gives them full autonomy to generate our draft list.  

Absolutely.

 

Benning’s draft talents as a scout were greatly exaggerated.

 

He put good people in the right roles, and when he listened to them he had success. Problem is like you said I think he went with his own gut too many times.

 

I hope Allvin hires the right people and empowers them. And for the love of god use analytics. They’re not the only metric that should be used but they’re a good tool. The eye test that Benning used just showed that he should have been using corrective lenses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...