The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Revamping the RHD positioning short term and long term (Proposal)

Ok, first off, I would like to say, Tyler Myers has done a great job this year, and is fully worth his $6.00 Million. In saying that, I believe he has value in trade, and has value clearing cap, by trading him. The suggestion of moving Myers to Dallas to replace Klingberg, is a great idea, and one that brings back asset in return. In saying that, if we had plenty of cap space, I would be keeping him, but we need to generate more offense from the back end...................so

UFA Targets

1. Anthony Deangelo   (current age 26 years old)           This guys is an offensive dynamo and will be getting paid as such next year....$6,500,000 X 7 years

2. Jan Rutta                 (current age 31 years old)           We missed out on Rutta last time around, this time we get him......$2,000,000 X 3 years

3. Ilya Lyubushkin        (current age 28 years old)           This guy is just a big body and will compliment Schenn as they platoon through injuries $2,000,000 X 3 years

2022 Draft Targets

1. David Jiricek            (RHD)......................100% blue chip star in the making. this guys can play Offense and Defense........he will not be there at 15, do we move up?

2. Ryan Chesley          (RHD)......................Chesley is a great Defensive player and has added Offensive to his strengths.....very under-rated

3. Tristian Luneau        (RHD)......................Tristian ranks in the 16 to 20 spot in most rankings......Offense is his strength.......solid skater

4. Noah Warren           (RHD) .....................Underdog, but I think he goes in the 2nd round, well before his 3rd round consensus 

So, why go so hard on the UFA targets............simply put Rutta and Lyubushkin can be moved as the young kids develop and Deangelo despite what some of the goodie 2 shoes on here say, has been a very well received and positive force in Carolina. It is a long shot to be able to acquire him, but he would take alot of pressure away from QH, and would be a great trading chip in 3 to 4 years. Not to mention his 50 points, he can provide from the back end.

Note* In regards to the NHL draft, we should be able to acquire 2 of these RHD, if we work it right and none would be bad choices.............. 

As hinted above.............trading Myers and Boeser allows us the flexibility to make these moves, as well as obtaining much needed assets.....................I sign Miller with part of the money saved........................................

OK flame away!

You forgot Nemec and Lameroux as draft prospects...Nemec is top 5 will be gone, but Lameroux is late 1st, early second.

But my preference would be Luneau...great hockey IQ at both ends of the ice, and great skater...perfect compliment to QH.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

If we get Myers moved I think DeAngelo would be a great signing next to OEL, but adding the other two seems like overkill.  For one thing, I think Schenn should stay with Hughes given their obvious chemistry, then we'll still need to dump Poolman otherwise he'll be a pricey healthy scratch.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, first off, I would like to say, Tyler Myers has done a great job this year, and is fully worth his $6.00 Million. In saying that, I believe he has value in trade, and has value clearing cap, by trading him. The suggestion of moving Myers to Dallas to replace Klingberg, is a great idea, and one that brings back asset in return. In saying that, if we had plenty of cap space, I would be keeping him, but we need to generate more offense from the back end...................so

UFA Targets

1. Anthony Deangelo   (current age 26 years old)           This guys is an offensive dynamo and will be getting paid as such next year....$6,500,000 X 7 years

2. Jan Rutta                 (current age 31 years old)           We missed out on Rutta last time around, this time we get him......$2,000,000 X 3 years

3. Ilya Lyubushkin        (current age 28 years old)           This guy is just a big body and will compliment Schenn as they platoon through injuries $2,000,000 X 3 years

2022 Draft Targets

1. David Jiricek            (RHD)......................100% blue chip star in the making. this guys can play Offense and Defense........he will not be there at 15, do we move up?

2. Ryan Chesley          (RHD)......................Chesley is a great Defensive player and has added Offensive to his strengths.....very under-rated

3. Tristian Luneau        (RHD)......................Tristian ranks in the 16 to 20 spot in most rankings......Offense is his strength.......solid skater

4. Noah Warren           (RHD) .....................Underdog, but I think he goes in the 2nd round, well before his 3rd round consensus 

So, why go so hard on the UFA targets............simply put Rutta and Lyubushkin can be moved as the young kids develop and Deangelo despite what some of the goodie 2 shoes on here say, has been a very well received and positive force in Carolina. It is a long shot to be able to acquire him, but he would take alot of pressure away from QH, and would be a great trading chip in 3 to 4 years. Not to mention his 50 points, he can provide from the back end.

Note* In regards to the NHL draft, we should be able to acquire 2 of these RHD, if we work it right and none would be bad choices.............. 

As hinted above.............trading Myers and Boeser allows us the flexibility to make these moves, as well as obtaining much needed assets.....................I sign Miller with part of the money saved........................................

OK flame away!

Klingberg isn’t a replacement for Myers.  

Love to ad a D man like Klingberg, but can he play all the games, pk and be physical.  

Love the draft card, but that’s another tear down rebuild of the defence.  

are you keeping Schenn, does he stay in the top 4?  Poolman?  

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Klingberg isn’t a replacement for Myers.  ................There is a thought out there that Dallas is letting Klingberg go, and I am suggesting Myers might be a good replacement. Not that  we should sign Klingberg

Love to ad a D man like Klingberg, but can he play all the games, pk and be physical.  (See above) Not interested

Love the draft card, but that’s another tear down rebuild of the defence.  Not Suggesting a tear down, but a short term, long term fix

are you keeping Schenn, does he stay in the top 4?  Poolman?  You are right about Poolman

You should really read the proposal again.............I think you are missing what I am saying

10 hours ago, ABNuck said:

You forgot Nemec and Lameroux as draft prospects...Nemec is top 5 will be gone, but Lameroux is late 1st, early second.

But my preference would be Luneau...great hockey IQ at both ends of the ice, and great skater...perfect compliment to QH.

No, I did not forget them AB, just think Nemec is out of reach, and am not a big fan of Lameroux. 

11 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

UFA Targets

2022 Draft Targets

OK flame away!

we should trade Myers to Dallas for the rights to Klingberg and try to make a deal with him before the draft. If it doesn't work out we can go after Manson. 

I know you really like DeAngelo but I just can't see how he's worth anything like that amount, or why we'd want to bring in another tiny d man. We don't need the scoring help. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mybe it's a time for us to go all in (again) this coming year?  Trade away our picks and prospects to dump Poolman, and Dickinson, while signing a couple right shot D.

I'm thinking AZ is going to need warm bodies since no one will want to play in a college rink and they need players for next year. Maybe they'll take them for free. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

UFA Targets

2022 Draft Targets

OK flame away!

Only major complaint is about sayng Luneau's strength is offense. He's a great 200-foot defenseman, but I would say his best attribute is his transition game, followed by his defense, and then his offense isn't a weakness by any stretch, but it's not his bread-and-butter, although there's some upside there. Think of guys like Weegar, Severson, Toews as a ceilling. Puck-movers first and foremost. Toews and Weegar only later in their careers found this major offensive element, largely predicated on moving the puck up ice to elite forward groups.

Nemec and Jiricek are probably not realistic draft options, unless there is a very concentrated effort made to acquire a pick by trade, which would have to be part of a move for a Boeser or suchlike. There are a couple other really good RD further down. Someone already mentioned Lammoureux (late 1st - early 2nd), but also Sam Rinzel and Elias Salomonsson are intriguing options for later in the 2nd (if Canucks add a 2nd).

On your UFA options, I like Rutta quite a bit. Would be a great add. Not such a fan of Lyubushkin. DeAngelo would be a sweet pickup, but as you said, very expensive. On the open market, could end up even a little more than you're suggesting here.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Rutta and Lyubushkin would be great additions at relatively low cost.  Are they true Top 4 RHD guys?  I'm not sure, but they'd help the depth department for sure. 

EDIT:  Researching Rutta a bit more and he's not really a defensive-minded defenceman.  Lyubushkin would be much more preferable. 

I don't think we NEED Deangelo.  What we need is to unlock OEL's offence.  I think we have a 45 to 50pt defenceman sitting there playing shut down duties and playing it safe in case Myers wanders.  We need a stay-at-home defenceman for OEL so that he can do his thing offensively.

It'd be fantastic if we can sign Manson to play with Hughes, and Lyubushkin to play with OEL.

Edited by HKSR

Ill preface by saying I don't mind our current defense. The fundamental problem is age. A few guys I would target if trading Brock. As I highly doubt teams are going to be clamoring to give us their 1st/2nd round picks. 

Ryan Graves NJ He'd probably be my first pick. We need big minute shut down lefty to unleash OEL from that role. NJ Has Bahl, Siegenthaler, Shak they don't need 6'5 Graves too.  

Atrem Zub OTT I really like him he flies under the radar makes simple plays hits blocks shots plays stable and reliable mins. Ott could use Brock I think he'd be a real good fit there.  

Andrew Peeke CBJ 4th in blocked shots and 30th in hits he's 24 6'3 playing hard mins I like this kid.

Jokiharju BUF could they use Brock? Joki's offense is what got him drafted but his defense has come a long way with his skating he could keep up with Hughes pace and might just break out offensively. 

To the Draft.

Somehow we need 2 of 

Kaspar C

Gaucher C

Beck C

Chesley RD

Bichsel LD

Lamoureux RD 

Warren RD

It pains me to say I think Hoglander is the guy who can return 1st/2nd round pics and maybe help dump a Poolman/Dickinson. I'm not keen to move him but I have a hard time finding a fit for him in the top 9 there are only so many spots for undersized skill guys and right now Garland is performing above what I would project Hoglander's ceiling to be locked up through his prime. Trading him will be a hard choice that doesn't need to be made this year. 

31 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

No, I did not forget them AB, just think Nemec is out of reach, and am not a big fan of Lameroux. 

I honestly think that big Lam will have a similar career trajectory as Myers, so that means we would get Buffalo years Myers, not the more recent editions. Oddly enough, Myers best 2 years in the NHL were his rookie and sophomore campaigns, so if we could milk the same production from Mav over the next 2-3 years then we might have all players peaking at just the right time. I know, big longshot, but hey, you gotta shoot your shot right? But as I said, Luneau is my desired pick...I just think Lameroux would be a pretty solid consolation prize, but maybe you've seen more of him than I have so you have a better insight...I'm going mostly off of stats and video that's provided.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Ill preface by saying I don't mind our current defense. The fundamental problem is age. A few guys I would target if trading Brock. As I highly doubt teams are going to be clamoring to give us their 1st/2nd round picks. 

Ryan Graves NJ He'd probably be my first pick. We need big minute shut down lefty to unleash OEL from that role. NJ Has Bahl, Siegenthaler, Shak they don't need 6'5 Graves too.  

Atrem Zub OTT I really like him he flies under the radar makes simple plays hits blocks shots plays stable and reliable mins. Ott could use Brock I think he'd be a real good fit there.  

Andrew Peeke CBJ 4th in blocked shots and 30th in hits he's 24 6'3 playing hard mins I like this kid.

Jokiharju BUF could they use Brock? Joki's offense is what got him drafted but his defense has come a long way with his skating he could keep up with Hughes pace and might just break out offensively. 

To the Draft.

Somehow we need 2 of 

Kaspar C

Gaucher C

Beck C

Chesley RD

Bichsel LD

Lamoureux RD 

Warren RD

It pains me to say I think Hoglander is the guy who can return 1st/2nd round pics and maybe help dump a Poolman/Dickinson. I'm not keen to move him but I have a hard time finding a fit for him in the top 9 there are only so many spots for undersized skill guys and right now Garland is performing above what I would project Hoglander's ceiling to be locked up through his prime. Trading him will be a hard choice that doesn't need to be made this year. 

I really like the idea of Graves.  One-for-one for Brock would be fine by me.  I agree, one of the biggest goals of this offseason will be to find a way to unlock OEL's offensive abilities.  We literally have a 45 to 50pt defenceman playing shut down duties right now.  It's terrible use of OEL.

If we can trade for Graves, and move Myers, while signing Lyubushkin or Manson to pair with OEL, that'd be a great start.

Graves and Dermott would be a fantastic shut down pair.

You have me interested in making another proposal with spreadsheet lol...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I really like the idea of Graves.  One-for-one for Brock would be fine by me.  I agree, one of the biggest goals of this offseason will be to find a way to unlock OEL's offensive abilities.  We literally have a 45 to 50pt defenceman playing shut down duties right now.  It's terrible use of OEL.

this why we don't need DeAngelo, we need to bring in someone that can allow OEL to be more offensive. 

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If we can trade for Graves, and move Myers, while signing Lyubushkin or Manson to pair with OEL, that'd be a great start.

Graves and Dermott would be a fantastic shut down pair.

You have me interested in making another proposal with spreadsheet lol...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

To the Draft.

Somehow we need 2 of 

Kaspar C

Gaucher C

Beck C

Chesley RD

Bichsel LD

Lamoureux RD 

Warren RD

The problem with Zub is that RD is just as big a need in Ottawa as it is for Vancouver, and Zub is sort of young enough to fit the Sens' current trajectory.

I like Jokiharju quite a bit and I think he could be a great partner for Hughes. Don't see Boeser as a need for Buffalo though. they already have an over-paid one-dimensional goal-scorer in Skinner. Would you move the Canuck's pick straight across for Jokiharju? Would they do it?

Boeser to New Jersey could make sense. Similar to Ottawa, they have a really young forward group, and could use an established scoring threat without wrecking their cap. Severson is better than Graves, and he's an RD. Would be a perfect fit with Hughes. New Jersey might be willing to move him as they have Hamilton. Would have to add a bit to Boeser for Severson though.

All year I was thinking Kasper would probably go somewhere around 20, but with the playoffs he is having with Rogle I'm not so sure. For a 17 year old to play a regular shift in the top nine for a contending team throughout the playoffs in the SHL, and produce as Kasper has, it's extremely rare. I'm now wondering if Kasper might be closer to 10 than he is to 20. Could still be within the Canuck's range, but probably won't be able to trade down and add a 2nd if you want to get him, as I'm sure many here would hope.

23 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

The problem with Zub is that RD is just as big a need in Ottawa as it is for Vancouver, and Zub is sort of young enough to fit the Sens' current trajectory.

I like Jokiharju quite a bit and I think he could be a great partner for Hughes. Don't see Boeser as a need for Buffalo though. they already have an over-paid one-dimensional goal-scorer in Skinner. Would you move the Canuck's pick straight across for Jokiharju? Would they do it?

Boeser to New Jersey could make sense. Similar to Ottawa, they have a really young forward group, and could use an established scoring threat without wrecking their cap. Severson is better than Graves, and he's an RD. Would be a perfect fit with Hughes. New Jersey might be willing to move him as they have Hamilton. Would have to add a bit to Boeser for Severson though.

All year I was thinking Kasper would probably go somewhere around 20, but with the playoffs he is having with Rogle I'm not so sure. For a 17 year old to play a regular shift in the top nine for a contending team throughout the playoffs in the SHL, and produce as Kasper has, it's extremely rare. I'm now wondering if Kasper might be closer to 10 than he is to 20. Could still be within the Canuck's range, but probably won't be able to trade down and add a 2nd if you want to get him, as I'm sure many here would hope.

Ott 1st for Brock or no deal. I digress. 

While Severson for Brock would be great and I think would be an ideal world starting point for conversations. I think Graves works as well for us and better for both teams while being more attractive for NJ and being better long term for the Canucks big picture also costing less.

I like Kaspars chippyness also Gaucher they fight for their ice and get under skin thats i think a huge quantifier for NHL success. Big Will Lockwood fan Burrows, Garland, Maxim Lapierre, Roussel should have never gone to Dallas. I want guys with a lil Jarko Ruutu to their game.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

UFA Targets

2022 Draft Targets

OK flame away!

Luneau reminds me a little bit of Doughty in the sense he's a complete player... really well rounded defenceman with good size, can throw a hit, stick positioning is solid, and offence is there. He'd be my pick in the 15-20 range.

• Cheers 1

I think in the ideal world to fix both problems we'd trade a young forward (Boeser, Garland, Miller even, Hoglander etc.) for a young top right handed defenceman who's in his early 20's, plays good solid shutdown defence, can kill penalties and throw hits. Essentially a young, rich man's Schenn. Or just Chris Tanev 5 years ago.

Sadly there's not many defencemen that fit this profile. All the fuss about Schneider in NYR was fair because he absolutely fit that bill. New York have a plethora of young defencemen, especially on the right side, who were higher picks than Schneider, score more points and look like they log more minutes, but I think the fan base there love him as a long-term idea. Fact is that he's not going to get many minutes on that stacked young defence.

They have great young goaltending, great defence and decent scoring but for some reason want more scoring. I think a trade with the Rangers is still the best option for us.

Anything around one of our forwards + pick/prospect for Schneider would do it.

Looking around the league there aren't many other matches that are this ideal. LA need scoring, want to win relatively soon again and have plenty of good young defencemen, but none of them are really solid defensively and they're all decent puck movers which wouldn't suit us (eg. Spence).

The other alternative is that we keep OEL and Myers and split them up and acquire a more mobile, young puck moving right handed defenceman. Myers and Hughes have had success with each other.

I proposed we go after Boqvist from CBJ. He used to be one of the most highly-touted puck moving defencemen when he came into the league, racks up points but Columbus is struggling and he's falling out of favour for some reason. They too could use scoring. A straight up trade may work.

We either line-up then as :

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

Rathbone

Burroughs

A very tough defence but only 1 puck mover and limited scoring.

Or:

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Boqvist

Dermott - Schenn

Personally with Rathbone in the wings I'd rather go after a shutdown/defensive guy like Schneider and I'm sure after they bow out of the playoffs at some point due to lack of depth scoring, we can make it happen. Does Garland + Hoglander for Schneider make it happen? Miller for Schneider, Chytil + 1st?

12 hours ago, Stech said:

Luneau reminds me a little bit of Doughty in the sense he's a complete player... really well rounded defenceman with good size, can throw a hit, stick positioning is solid, and offence is there. He'd be my pick in the 15-20 range.

Big fan of Luneau and think he is exactly what we need draft wise if he is there when we pick.