The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A lot of talk about a core piece not being here next year.

Rate this topic

Johnny Torts

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is fabulous.  Miller isn’t fast or quick.  Petey is brilliant and smarter than others so anticipation makes him fast.  Bo is fast fir sure.  Garland is quick, but not at all fast.

Petey outskated Makar on a breakaway.  Miller went end to end to score a goal ala Bobby Orr.  You can't do these things if you are not fast...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey outskated Makar on a breakaway.  Miller went end to end to score a goal ala Bobby Orr.  You can't do these things if you are not fast...

Petey plays fast, but he’s not a fast skater.  Miller is slow.  We are a slow team.  We move slow and we play slow.  Our only player who really pushes the pace through the neutral zone is Hughes.  For us to play fast we need to move the puck quick.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:14 PM, JM_ said:

according to Dhaliwal, they are going to try hard to get something done with Brock, and Allvin seems to really like Miller. Plus we don't have to move Miller. 

Petey and Hughes aren't going anywhere. 

Bo? can't see it, that would be a shocker. 

So that leaves OEL. Where would he agree to go to? 

I think its most likely Myers, that or iMac is full if iPoop. 

I think OEL has proven himself as a reliable power play point man. I don't think it would too hard to find a team that needs power play help. The only problem would be the price. It'll take some fancy haggling for sure. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think OEL has proven himself as a reliable power play point man. I don't think it would too hard to find a team that needs power play help. The only problem would be the price. It'll take some fancy haggling for sure. 

The cost of moving OEL (contract) will be way more than we can afford.  We would have to retain 2.2 mil + add sugar (2023 first)

Sure we can move OEL, but the price is something we cannot afford.

On 4/29/2022 at 7:06 AM, Jester13 said:

I think Myers is on the way out. A right side of Schenn, Burroughs, Dermott, Poolman, etc is atrocious, but I think all of them play better defence than Myers anyways, so I don't see moving him out hurting us that much. 6m saved would do us wonders. 

On 4/29/2022 at 2:14 PM, JM_ said:

according to Dhaliwal, they are going to try hard to get something done with Brock, and Allvin seems to really like Miller. Plus we don't have to move Miller. 

Petey and Hughes aren't going anywhere. 

Bo? can't see it, that would be a shocker. 

So that leaves OEL. Where would he agree to go to? 

I think its most likely Myers, that or iMac is full if iPoop. 

On 4/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, Jester13 said:

I think just as easily you'd be surprised at how little it would affect the team, as the cap savings should also free up enough to sign our key guys and still sign a serviceable Hamonic-type dman. 

Yeah, it sounds like they want Boeser back, so I'm guessing Garland is the odd man out there (unless they're just playing the media trying to juice Brock's trade value).

Moving Garland for a "Marino" type would certainly make moving Myers easier and I agree, he seems like the odd man out of the big "core" pieces. Even though I think fans frequently, seriously undervalue Myers, he is a bit of a square peg in this lineup as he doesn't really fit with Hughes and limits OEL. Honestly, I think we see a better OEL with a cheaper, less well rounded but better defensively D like Lyubushkin (who would be my main UFA target on D). And he expires in another couple seasons anyway, so between the "square peg" issue and needing to replace him sooner than later anyway...

Wonder if we could get maybe Faksa and a pick (2nd?, 3rd?) out of Dallas (Klingberg expiring) for Myers and send them back Dickenson (they seemed to like him and he fit well there)? Maybe we retain ~$500k-$1m on Myers to even out the cap. If they don't want to give up Faksa (or we're on his 5 team NTC) Maybe Dellandrea might be a realistic get?

A right side of "Marino", Lyubushkin, Poolman/Schenn/Dermott/Burroughs/Juulsen/Woo is better defensively (more complimentary), cheaper and a better long term succession plan. Though Ideally, we'd still find our right side, first pair "Seabrook" for Hughes' "Keith" in the next couple years as well (draft?). A right side of "Seabrook", "Marino", Lyubushkin, Juulsen/Woo in a couple years looks a hell off a lot more contender worthy than what we're rolling out now.

Beyond that, I think Miller either extends for something like $9x5 or $8.5x6, or gets moved (which I'm doubtful he accepts but *fingers crossed*). So that's potentially another big piece, but only if we can't work something out.

Then we need to start adding in more "hard" skill to the F's and more speed throughout the lineup. As good as Chiasson was at helping pot some important goals down the stretch, you can't have all of him, Pearson, Boeser, Schenn etc on the regular roster. Particularly as even a lot of our faster guys aren't all-out burners. Are some quick? Agile? Sure. But our overall team speed needs to improve. Pearson and Boeser should be our only 2 remaining "slow" forwards. And Schenn should realistically be a 7th D guy and not in the regular rotation (admirable as his play has been). He should be an injury and "physical" opponent sub.

Edited by aGENT

If it's going, I'd do a Garland straight up for Marino or Zub (we may have to throw a mid pick along too). He's been great, no question, but his offensive ceiling is a 20 goal, 40-50 point gritty forward. With Boeser we have someone who has great potential. He may not reach it in which case he's a 25-30 goal scorer. But if he gets it together in his late 20s we may have another 30-40 goal scorer. It's worth taking a chance on him, especially if we can sign-low now. Give him his QO then 5.5M x 5 years (unless he explodes next year in which case he deserves more).

With Podkolzin surely staying in our top 6 and Chiasson, Pearson and Hoglander providing depth scoring, we can easily afford to lose Garland. Pretty sure Zub's cap hit is 2.5M as well so we save some pennies there too. 

Garland + Dickinson for Zub.

Sign Tierney 3.5M x 3y

Boeser - Miller - Podkolzin

Pettersson - Horvat - Pearson

Chiasson - Tierney - Hoglander

Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood

Hughes - Zub

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

Rathbone

Much more balanced and we keep our big guns together.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If it's going, I'd do a Garland straight up for Marino or Zub (we may have to throw a mid pick along too). He's been great, no question, but his offensive ceiling is a 20 goal, 40-50 point gritty forward. With Boeser we have someone who has great potential. He may not reach it in which case he's a 25-30 goal scorer. But if he gets it together in his late 20s we may have another 30-40 goal scorer. It's worth taking a chance on him, especially if we can sign-low now. Give him his QO then 5.5M x 5 years (unless he explodes next year in which case he deserves more).

With Podkolzin surely staying in our top 6 and Chiasson, Pearson and Hoglander providing depth scoring, we can easily afford to lose Garland. Pretty sure Zub's cap hit is 2.5M as well so we save some pennies there too. 

Garland + Dickinson for Zub.

Sign Tierney 3.5M x 3y

Boeser - Miller - Podkolzin

Pettersson - Horvat - Pearson

Chiasson - Tierney - Hoglander

Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood

Hughes - Zub

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

Rathbone

Much more balanced and we keep our big guns together.

We need to find a faster alternative to Chiasson IMO.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:06 AM, cowboy644 said:

Sorry Deb but you are way wrong.Our top players lack foot speed verses the top teams in the league.Our D core is terribly permissive.Myers is an absolute mess.The team has know idea what they will get game to game with him.Really good,ok,or full chaos girraffe.There is one reason and one reason only this team cracked 90 points let alone 85.Thatcher Demko.This is where the conversation reaches full stop about keeping this version of most the canucks together.

I don't know if I fully agree that our top players lack foot speed. Could you identify which of the players you think are lacking top foot speed, other than the obvious in Brock. He's probably the slowest of the top players on the team with regards to foot speed. Our defensive is not as solid as I think it could be, therefore, there needs to be a major reworking of the defensive corps. Can management do that in one offseason? I doubt it. I think it'll take a few off-seasons before it's revamped. But there has to be some sort of progress back there, for players to take a look and be okay with things. There needs to be some sort of tangible improvements. This is a show me what you've done lately business, not just for the players, but for management as well. If they're not showing it on a management level, why would the players remain? 

This is a team game after all, so it's not solely on Demko. Don't get me wrong, he's been an absolute beast for the team. But Demko alone doesn't win games. Everyone on the roster has contributed in one degree or another to wins and losses. Team game

On 5/1/2022 at 10:32 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather keep Garland over Boeser, but I'm not opposed to resigning Boeser if the price is right either. If nothing else, it'll be fun to point and laugh at people butthurt about it.

Brock's going to be back, me thinks, short term. I think the team goes ahead and gives him his QO of 7.5M for one year, but the works out a medium term contract that buys 1, maybe 2 years of his UFA years. So, 4 or 5 year deal at 6/6.3M? Maybe it goes up to 6.5M, with a possible some sort of modified NTC/NMC within that contract, especially if he's going to be taking some sort of paycut. If PA can work something out where he doesn't have to take that, then that would be even better. 

My prediction for this off-season: Brock remains, Bo signs long term (life long Canuck), and Miller's traded. 

Could be wrong of course, but this off-season is going to be anything but boring. 

Management's going to be very busy

On 5/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, aGENT said:

I wouldn't mind bringing back Chiasson as a depth player, but certainly not as an every day player on the roster. If he is, that means we're a bad team. 

• Vintage 1

On 5/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, aGENT said:

Possibly - in addition to him, but he is of extremely good value to the canucks for the output he produces.   No one can match his $ Value per point or goal.   IMO, out of all the bottom 6 he's the only one of the 3rd/4th liners that I'd keep for sure.  Ditto for Schenn on D as a bottom pairing defenceman.   

Check out the blog...............OFFICIAL - FINAL 2021-22 Player Cost per Goal & Point 

Edited by RU SERIOUS