The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Rutherford offseason (Proposal/Discussion)

10 hours ago, mll said:

Not necessarily.  Depends on Arizona's timeline and how much they want to spend during their rebuild/tank.  They've already added Little's contract (2 more seasons at 5.3M) which would signal that they don't plan to spend much more than the floor.  He was part of the deal for the rights of NCAA player Nathan Schmidt (3rd round pick in 2018) - Arizona sent a 4th round pick to Winnipeg.  

If they add Weber, they can spend even less.  His contract is likely insured.  He is owed 3M this coming season and then 3x 1M for the final 3 seasons.  

sure but 4 years is a long time from now, even for AZ. Plus they hold all the cards, they don't have to help out MTL. 

19 hours ago, KKnight said:

So a buyout candidate gets you nearly 50 points in a down year? I see the complaints against Boeser, but lets not suggest Boeser isn't a talented player. 

Screenshot_20220430-152047_Chrome.jpg

Hmmm.For a guy that doesn't play all that physical I don't see a full season of play in there.I'm not counting his rookie year where he hit the open bench door.That was horrible luck.

15 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

A lot of good ideas here but you're right not to be crazy about the D.  It is much worse.

Of course they can't do everything all at once but to move their only top 4 RHD is just adding work to a project that is already big.  Myers is already 32 and has 2 years left on his contract so they will be forced to move on from him soon anyhow.

I am going to suggest that the defenseman they target would be a stay at home type who can skate and move the puck and is in the right age group.  It doesn't matter whether they get him via trade or free agency just that they get him.  This is why they need cap flexibility.

Letting Boeser walk is the easiest route to shedding cap.  It really sucks to let a quality asset walk but trades nowadays require equal cap going each way.  So if they let him walk it would indirectly allow them to work with north of $5.875 in free cap when opportunity arises.   

Miller, I can't decide on because on the 1 hand, he just played his career season and topped the club by 30 points.  He's not always going to be their best player but he is right now.  On the other hand, he is clearly the single player who would net the greatest return.  If they move on Miller, it would be in a deal with a team that would put them over the top and a contender would require an equal cap transaction.  So a Miller trade wouldn't be to free cap space but to avoid cap constraints caused by a future deal to net some young assets.    

If you don't offer Boeser at least something and just let him walk he and his agent would be pissed.If I'm him I walk right to the Oilers for a short term 2 year contract for decent money.Him with Mcdavid or Draisaitl would be a scary thought.Amazing centerman that do the heavy lifting so Brock can just pull the trigger and in our division,no thanks.I don't want him here but at least try to control the narrative about where he plays.Trade him for something.

Everyone seems fixated on Brock, what about the other players targeted? 

If we end up being successful on Kuzmenko, that could mean the end of Brock & maybe attach a player like Poolman. Could see multiple teams interested. Ottawa being one.

A deal of Formenton & Zub for Boeser and Poolman. I know @hammertime

Might agree with this one. I really like Formenton, very fast, good forechecker and was good on the PK. I think the value balances out, since we rid ourselves of the long term commitment to Poolman.

Mason Marchment, Bergeron, Acciari. I'm hoping the rangers choke in the playoffs. I am not sure about Kravstov, would prefer Will Cuylle, but Rangers seem more open to Kravstov. 

Marchment - Pete - Garland 

Kuzmenko - Bergeron - Podkolzin 

Formenton - Bo - Hoglander 

Lammikko - Acciari - Lockwood 

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Zub

Dermott - Schneider

Demko

Martin

Edited by KKnight

47 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Everyone seems fixated on Brock, what about the other players targeted? 

If we end up being successful on Kuzmenko, that could mean the end of Brock & maybe attach a player like Poolman. Could see multiple teams interested. Ottawa being one.

A deal of Formenton & Zub for Boeser and Poolman. I know @hammertime

Might agree with this one. I really like Formenton, very fast, good forechecker and was good on the PK. I think the value balances out, since we rid ourselves of the long term commitment to Poolman.

Mason Marchment, Bergeron, Acciari. I'm hoping the rangers choke in the playoffs. I am not sure about Kravstov, would prefer Will Cuylle, but Rangers seem more open to Kravstov. 

Marchment - Pete - Garland 

Kuzmenko - Bergeron - Podkolzin 

Formenton - Bo - Hoglander 

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Zub

Dermott - Schneider

Demko

Martin

I'll take the bait.....

I think Cuylle is a fantastic target. If there is a Miller deal to be made with the Rags he has to be part of it. Losing Gadjovich on waivers was stupid. Maybe something like....

Cuylle + Othmann + 2023 1st......???

I think Zub straight across for Brock and 3.5m cap savings is a solid hockey trade. 

Bergeron retires a Bruin don't be silly. 

Kuzmenko would be interesting. I'm going to be following that situation to see what happens. He and Pod have had chemistry in the past but I'm also tapering my expectations a bit. Kuz has put up the majority of his points on the PP and it's not as if the guys flanking him in KHL PPG% Gusev or Shipachyov are world beaters. If he's a 30-40pt 3rd liner I think that would be at the high end of reasonable expectation. Which is by all means fine and dandy but he will need to buy in to that role or he will be watching from the bleachers. We don't need Vey/Goldobin in the lineup. 

Accari sure why not could do worse in FA I suppose he's a decent 4c.

I don't think an elaborate overhaul like you have outlined will be beneficial. Moving Brock is addition by subtraction. Say we land Kuz and Zub at that point I think we are starting to put round pegs in round holes. Bains I think will translate surprisingly well to the NHL. He plays hard nosed hockey with very high IQ playmaking. Brent Sutter has molded this kids game and he plays the right way I think he grinds 10-15 goals 30-40 pts 

Hog Miller Pod

Pearson Pete Garland

Bains Bo Kuzmenko

Lammiko Accari? Highmore 

Lockwood

Hughes Zub

OEL Myers

Rathbone Shenn

Burr Dermott

On 4/30/2022 at 11:19 AM, KKnight said:

Hey guys & gals, 

Well considering our worst point in the season with Travis Green, Bruce sure turned this team around. I'm going to take a shot at an offseason proposal. I really feel we must address some major areas, buy saying that our team has some good pieces going forward. We might take a step back next season, but this will definitely put us in a better position in 2 years. 

1. We need to move cap space & we have a very good chance of getting great returns, without having to eat money as well. 

2. We need to get faster, acquire youth within our cores competitive timeline and use our cap space for smart signings. 

3. Defense needs to be addressed with more skill and some more grit. 

Re-sign -

Boudreau - give the man a 2-3 year deal. Get it done.

Boeser to a 3 year deal at 6 million per. This rebuilds his trade value, so we're not selling low and makes sense for our cap. 

Horvat - 6-7 year deal at 6.5-7 Million per, he is our captain and a very vital piece to our group.

Already resigned Spencer Martin. 

Resign Lammikko, Highmore, Burroughs to 1 year deals.

Dries - 2 way deal

Offseason trades -

Love Milller, but it makes too much sense to capitalize on his extremely high value now, he won't fit our timeline. Here are some options: 

NYR - Miller 

Van - Schneider, Kravstov, 1st and 3rd 

LAK - Miller

Van - Turcotte/Vilardi , Grans , 1st and 3rd 

Colorado - Miller, Dickinson (25% retention) 

Van - Newhook, Byram, Compher and 2nd

I personally think a lot of teams are going to be desperate to improve this offseason with next to no cap space. This makes Miller an extremely attractive commodity. We should make out like bandits in any deal. I would take the NYR package if offered. 

Next is Myers - I think there could be a few suitors and we wouldn't have to retain salary while gaining some form of draft capital. Potential suitors - Dallas, Pittsburgh (if Letang isn't resigned), Columbus, Nashville. 

If Dickinson isn't included In a Miller deal, we could see if any bites at a 25-30% retention would be possible. 

Pearson - trade for draft capital, with a 2 year term and a reasonable cap hit there should be some suitors. 

That leaves us with - 

? - Pete - Boeser 

Garland - Bo - Podkolzin 

Hoglander - ? - Kravstov 

? - Lammikko - Lockwood 

Ex.Highmore 

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Schneider 

Dermott - Poolman

Ex. Burroughs

Demko 

Martin 

Do I think this team is a playoff team, definitely not, but we're not horrible. I think we can make some bold signings it may pay off for the youth in our lineup. 

1st signing - I am very surprised Bergeron is not signed as of yet, he may want the bag before he retires and Boston is up against it. We need a right handed centerman in the worst way. He is a constant selke candidate and he isn't going to require mass term to get a deal done, which is great for us. 

Bergeron - 2 years at 8 million per. 

2nd signing - Mason Marchment - 4 year deal at 3.5- 4 per. He provides size, speed and some skill, had a career year on a great Florida team. I think he would be a provide the pwf element this team will need going forward. 

Lastly - 

Noel Accari  - 1 year 2.25 deal , adds grit - right handed center, PK. 

Our team - 

Marchment - Petey - Boeser 

Garland - Bergeron - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Bo - Kravstov 

Ex. Highmore, ? 

Hughes - Schenn 

OEL - Schneider 

Dermott - Poolman 

Ex. Burroughs 

Demko 

Martin 

Summary - Not crazy about the defense, but this is a lot of movement for one offseason. I think we turn some assets into open cap space, youth/speed/upside, along with adding smart signings that don't cripple us going forward. 

Out - Miller, Myers, Dickinson, Pearson

In - Schneider, Kravstov, Bergeron, Marchment, Acciari, reallocation cap space and gaining draft capital. 

What do you guys think? 

No thanks to the Rangers deal. Maybe Kravtsov could still be good, but maybe he's a career KHLer. And Schneider is just meh.

The Colorado option is interesting, but a team isn't going to give up a return like this for just one year. It has to be a team that thinks they can re-sign him. Can Colorado afford to do that?

The L.A. trade is the one that makes by far the most sense. They need a replacement for Kopitar on the horizon. We need RHD, they have a plethora.

Never expected to see a sign Bergeron proposal on CDC, so points for originality there. Kinda makes sense too if you're trading Miller. Intriguing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

No thanks to the Rangers deal. Maybe Kravtsov could still be good, but maybe he's a career KHLer. And Schneider is just meh.

The Colorado option is interesting, but a team isn't going to give up a return like this for just one year. It has to be a team that thinks they can re-sign him. Can Colorado afford to do that?

The L.A. trade is the one that makes by far the most sense. They need a replacement for Kopitar on the horizon. We need RHD, they have a plethora.

Never expected to see a sign Bergeron proposal on CDC, so points for originality there. Kinda makes sense too if you're trading Miller. Intriguing.

I just have a feeling Rutherford is going to do some bold things that none of us are expecting. 

Edited by KKnight

4 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

If you don't offer Boeser at least something and just let him walk he and his agent would be pissed.If I'm him I walk right to the Oilers for a short term 2 year contract for decent money.Him with Mcdavid or Draisaitl would be a scary thought.Amazing centerman that do the heavy lifting so Brock can just pull the trigger and in our division,no thanks.I don't want him here but at least try to control the narrative about where he plays.Trade him for something.

Really can't see that happening.  Brock has struggled this season, but he is still a valuable player.

At the very least, the management will sign him to a short term contract (6.3mx2yrs); even if they

intend to trade him.  To let a young sniper like Brock walk, would probably rank as the worst  asset

management any Canuck GM has ever allowed.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Really can't see that happening.  Brock has struggled this season, but he is still a valuable player.

At the very least, the management will sign him to a short term contract (6.3mx2yrs); even if they

intend to trade him.  To let a young sniper like Brock walk, would probably rank as the worst  asset

management any Canuck GM has ever allowed.

Of course Boeser is a good player.  He's just not $7.5M good.  He's just completed his 5th season and maxed out at 29 goals in his rookie season and 56 points in his 2nd season.  Now at some point, we have to consider that he is what he is.  He just hasn't been the same player since Clutterbuck checked him into an open doorway and he wrecked his back.  But even so, he's good for 20-some goals and 45-55 points.  That ranks him 20-30 among right wingers in the NHL and a first line player but as for salary, I would have him more in the $5M range.

Find a way that he agrees to $5M and sign him.  Remember, this year he made $7.5M in real money.

No, letting Markstrom and Tanev walk is the worst asset management of any Canuck GM.  Especially since they ended up as key players on the Flames.