The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Mega Off-Season Thread

Rate this topic

Odd.

I thought I’d make a thread because this off season is possibly our most important off-season in the last decade or so, and I think there’s some great discussions to be had about others opinions on how this team should move forward.

Do we keep Bruce? I think that’s a no brainer, yes of course.

Do we sign and trade Boeser? Will he take a respective cap discount due to his lacklustre season? Boeser is good for 25 goals a season give or take, though completely clearing his cap hit and allowing us to address organizational needs might be the best course of action to take, and I don’t consider this lightly, Boeser is very likeable and the day he leaves is going to be quite bittersweet.

Are we still far off from being a contender? Top 10 team in the league after Bruce took over, but there’s still some glaring issues this team has, particularly the bottom 6 depth and a lack of a 30-40 point RHD. 

I don’t have any hot take in particular, but I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea of trading our 1st round pick as part of a package for a defenseman, but only if it’s for a defenseman. 

I just want to see some major changes. I don’t mean completely overhaul the roster, but I consider a major change to be getting a bonafide RHD, and maybe 1 or 2 bottom 6 players that can change the makeup of our team dynamic. 

As for expectations, I’d like to see Petey get bigger, Boeser to work on cutting down a bit and improving his speed and acceleration, and Podz/Hogz to take some leaps in offensive production. 

Anyways flame on. Mods if you think this thread isn’t needed, or if it gets too heated, you can lock it up.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Starting to think more and more Garland, Myers, Pearson, Dickinson and Hoglander are traded in roster player for player moves. Poolman stays on LTIR (the new Ferland). They'll also look to shore up team toughness/top 4 D pairings

Trochek, Marchment and Lafraniere will be targets on the top 9....

Edited by BureBurrito

I'm thinking this might be one of about a hundred threads on the topic of off season, but I like it. This off season should be very interesting and active. Luongo penalty is off the books. Halak and Sutter contracts will end. 

I really want them to address the D. Demko/Martin tandem should give them a chance every game next season. But to lessen their workload a little, a better D would certainly help. Myers is a train wreck IMO. These are the only D I want to see back next season:

OEL - 

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - 

- Burroughs

Rathbone - Juulsen

Edited by NUCKER67

Seeing some areas that could be improved/upgraded is not hard, but the problem is the how. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of trading the first round pick if it was in a deal for the right player (young/addresses a need), but I'm not sure there is a deal to be made that makes sense. One improvement that I think could be achievable is to get a legitimate 3C. Dickenson has not worked out in that role -- and while I do think he can return to his form in Dallas, I think they could explore a better option there. I do think there is going to be some surgery on this roster over the off-season but  I'm not sure it's going to be as invasive as some think, unless they decide to trade Miller. Their current middle-class of forward (Garland/Pearson/Hoglander/Podkolzin) are a fairly young and talented group with upside, but I would like to see a center in there somewhere. Even a short-term fix for now would be beneficial, but may not be that easy to pull off. The working class (Dickenson/Highmore/Lammikko/whoever) could use an upgrade, in my opinion, even if it is accomplished by making an upgrade higher up the roster that pushes someone down. I have a lot of thoughts about what they could do this off-season but that is enough rambling for now.

Ok, I will try then

Pre draft to do list

1.  Re-sign Bruce Boudreau.

2.  Sign and trade Boeser (my suggestion is Boeser and a 1st to Winnipeg for Pierre Luc Dubois and a 2nd) and try to sign Kuzmenko to replace Boeser

Draft day

3.  If #2 is not an option, make a trade deadline day splash by doing the following:

1st round:  #13 Cutter Gauthier https://thehockeywriters.com/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2nd round:  (Via trade picks 5, 6 and 7 to Arizona or Montreal) Maverick Lamoureux https://thehockeywriters.com/maveric-lamoureux-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

3rd round:  Noah Warren:  https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/574586/noah-warren

4th round:  Liam Arnsby https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529236/liam-arnsby

If undrafted again sign Ben King from the Red Deer Rebels to play with Arshdeep Bains

Post draft

4.  Figure out Miller, he either renews with us or signals he is open to a TDL trade.  Do not let this one drag out where he does to us what tavares did to the NYI

5.  Poach the amateur scouting staff from Ottawa and Tampa.  Specifically Ostberg, Stirling and Clark from Ottawa and Murray, Yanchenkov and Armstrong from Tampa

6.  Sign Horvat to a longer term contract $6.5 x8 or $7x7

7.  Avoid free agency madness by stockpiling depth via the draft and NCAA wires

8.  Ensure the team does NOT enter the 2022-2023 season pushed to the cap, a small cushion of $1.5 million or better will be essential.  This means removing dead weight players like Dickinson, and Poolman et al

There.  That's my wish/to do list.

Thoughts?

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

With the Salary Cap predicament we've been stuck in for a number of years I think value will lead the way for the summer. While it's easy to theoretically get rid of players, realistically it's a tall mountain to climb and how easy is it to replace those players. Every poster on this board keep telling us we need a RHD as an example ( which may indeed be true ) but no one wants Poolman Dickinson to take what we want to get rid of. There is no long line of candidates to take Poolman off of our hands, why would they. Maybe he can go on LTI but I'd seriously doubt it and if he recovers during that time, then what. Our Cap has done heavy heavy damage to the teams near future. 

I'd think the first move is to invest in some new Pro scouts, the scouts who recommended Dickinson and Poolman for starters. 

Older players such as Chiasson, Hunt, Richardson ( who I believe is a good Pro presence ) need replacing with the likes of Lockwood and Rathbone.

We need to put a tad more emphasis on character.

We can play without muscle but I'm in Naslunds corner when he said Brookbank makes ever player on the bench 6" taller.

It's amazing ( to me anyway that Calgary spend $3mill less on defense that Vcr ) 

Personally I'm getting to the age when I'd like to fore go a long rebuild, yet again. :lol:

I'd like to know before the summer starts just what the plan is for the club so I may judge how close they come to achieving their target

I don't want Boeser to go.  I think Boudreau is keen on him.  
I think Brock has the potential to be a 40 goal scorer, and those don't grow on trees.
If JT, EP and Bo Horvat have similar years as this year, that bodes great for Brock.  You can't put your best defensive lines against everyone.  So Brock could get some great ice time versus weak D-men.

Petey doesn't need to put on any more weight.  He is strong as hell, and dishes out great hits and reverse hits.  Any weight gain could negatively impact him overall.  A few more seasons he could be as good as Peter Forsberg.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok, I will try then

Pre draft to do list

1.  Re-sign Bruce Boudreau.

2.  Sign and trade Boeser (my suggestion is Boeser and a 1st to Winnipeg for Pierre Luc Dubois and a 2nd) and try to sign Kuzmenko to replace Boeser

Draft day

3.  If #2 is not an option, make a trade deadline day splash by doing the following:

1st round:  #13 Cutter Gauthier https://thehockeywriters.com/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2nd round:  (Via trade picks 5, 6 and 7 to Arizona or Montreal) Maverick Lamoureux https://thehockeywriters.com/maveric-lamoureux-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

3rd round:  Noah Warren:  https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/574586/noah-warren

4th round:  Liam Arnsby https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529236/liam-arnsby

If undrafted again sign Ben King from the Red Deer Rebels to play with Arshdeep Bains

Post draft

4.  Figure out Miller, he either renews with us or signals he is open to a TDL trade.  Do not let this one drag out where he does to us what tavares did to the NYI

5.  Poach the amateur scouting staff from Ottawa and Tampa.  Specifically Ostberg, Stirling and Clark from Ottawa and Murray, Yanchenkov and Armstrong from Tampa

6.  Sign Horvat to a longer term contract $6.5 x8 or $7x7

7.  Avoid free agency madness by stockpiling depth via the draft and NCAA wires

8.  Ensure the team does NOT enter the 2022-2023 season pushed to the cap, a small cushion of $1.5 million or better will be essential.  This means removing dead weight players like Dickinson, and Poolman et al

There.  That's my wish/to do list.

Thoughts?

Pretty solid, although I’m seeing a lot of PLD trade proposals, are Jets looking to move him? I mean he’s right behind Schiefele for their center deprh and he’s on the verge of breaking out. I just can’t see Winnipeg trading him for another winger when they traded Laine for him. 

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Pretty solid, although I’m seeing a lot of PLD trade proposals, are Jets looking to move him? I mean he’s right behind Schiefele for their center deprh and he’s on the verge of breaking out. I just can’t see Winnipeg trading him for another winger when they traded Laine for him. 

I think the Jets would move Schiefele before PLD.  

Bo for Schiefele?  He’s a right shot centre and big and mean and skilled.  

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I posted a proposal regarding him and Boeser back in December and again in February.

I'd 100% do our 1st and Boeser (in a sig and trade) for him

our 1 2 3 would be Pettersson/Miller, Horvat, PLD making us arguably the strongest at centre team in the league

I find it highly unlikely the jets move him, but the jets, sens and Yotes are all currently ripe for the picking.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

If Myers and/ or Boeser get moved, I think Vancouver's actually in a good spot, with some versatility for how they want to fix their top-4 D.

Moreover, on the note about top-4 defense, I wonder if (in case they can't find a trade) a switch to try would be Hughes - Myers, and then OEL - Schenn.  Hear me out.
For all the bad reputation Myers has garnered as "Chaos Giraffe", he showed at times this past season that (even without OEL, e.g. in some OT games) he can make sound defensive plays.  Now of course OEL changing to play more defensively did help to cover his mistakes, but if Boudreau sat him down and talked with him to focus more as a shutdown and physical partner for Hughes (who would be in charge of breakouts) I'm sure that he could take on that responsibility.  In fact, Hughes' improvement defensively this season could also help to cover Myers' mistakes, and they would be two of the more capable puck-moving D that we have, plus both improved their defensive games recently.  The two of them did have success two seasons ago.

Regarding swapping Schenn to partner with OEL, we saw how the former Coyotes captain could step up offensively when he wasn't burdened with covering Myers' mistakes.  Schenn won't have such an issue as he's primarily a shutdown guy.  Having a 35-40 point, offensively oriented OEL with a stable partner in Schenn could unlock the depth scoring that we need, plus he's still shown this year that he can carry a defensive load with Myers.  With Schenn they might provide the all-around pair that the team needs.

(disclaimer, optimally Myers does get moved, but in case he doesn't, since OEL - Myers was all defense, they might as well try and unlock two offensive LHD in Hughes and OEL.  They can recreate a symbiotic pair in Hughes - Myers where both can take turns roving up ice, and Myers can also be that shutdown guy who falls back).

i like schenn with rathbone ; OEL with ___________ and hughes with_____________.

• Vintage 1

Some major changes to fix the right side defense, get tougher, clear cap space and support this young core with NHL players...

To NYI: Miller + Dermott

To VAN: Mayfield + Martin + Holmstrom + 1st

To OTT: Boeser + 2022 1st (VAN)

To VAN: Bernard-Docker + 2022 1st (OTT) + 2022 2nd (TBL)

To DAL: Myers

To VAN: Khudobin (waived to AHL) + 2022 3rd (DAL)

To ARI: Hoglander + Dickinson + 2022 2nd (TBL) + 2022 3rd (DAL)

To VAN: Crouse

To FLA: Future considerations

To VAN: Hornqvist + 2023 2nd (FLA)

Sign UFAs: 

Trocheck, $6.5m x 7 years

Marchment, $4m x 5 years

Motte, $2m x 4 years

Sign RFAs:

Crouse, Lammikko, Highmore, Lockwood, Rathbone

The below roster will also give us $22m in cap space in 2023-24 with young guys still developing in Abby (Lockwood, Klimovich, Holmstrom)

image.thumb.png.b9358f5aef206c0bcc03bbaca965a15d.png

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

I thought I’d make a thread because this off season is possibly our most important off-season in the last decade or so, and I think there’s some great discussions to be had about others opinions on how this team should move forward.

Do we keep Bruce? I think that’s a no brainer, yes of course.

Do we sign and trade Boeser? Will he take a respective cap discount due to his lacklustre season? Boeser is good for 25 goals a season give or take, though completely clearing his cap hit and allowing us to address organizational needs might be the best course of action to take, and I don’t consider this lightly, Boeser is very likeable and the day he leaves is going to be quite bittersweet.

Are we still far off from being a contender? Top 10 team in the league after Bruce took over, but there’s still some glaring issues this team has, particularly the bottom 6 depth and a lack of a 30-40 point RHD. 

I don’t have any hot take in particular, but I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea of trading our 1st round pick as part of a package for a defenseman, but only if it’s for a defenseman. 

I just want to see some major changes. I don’t mean completely overhaul the roster, but I consider a major change to be getting a bonafide RHD, and maybe 1 or 2 bottom 6 players that can change the makeup of our team dynamic. 

As for expectations, I’d like to see Petey get bigger, Boeser to work on cutting down a bit and improving his speed and acceleration, and Podz/Hogz to take some leaps in offensive production. 

Anyways flame on. Mods if you think this thread isn’t needed, or if it gets too heated, you can lock it up.

The RHD is a must acquire short of surrendering the future for a stop gap overpriced FA.  

Brock looked very emotional in the past few games, like he was saying goodbye. 

I would love to find a taker for Pearson, Poolman and Dickson but without giving up the first, and seeing what we can draft to fit the whole and find a decent RHD on the FA and resign Schenn.  

unless there is a deal in the works with a Brock for an other player etc…

Who, if possible on the FA market can take the second paring match up minutes on the RHD, or first, and won’t break the bank? 

that and shed cap, try to not give up the future and draft to fill the need.  

Taking the BPA is relative, to who is left or who falls, taking a mid first on the most promising RHD with the ability to project as a fit for Hughes, and don’t stop until success is achieved.   

each draft, not every draft pick. 

If we move up, then take the BPA if one of the two Czech RHD isn’t available if we are end up in the 6-10 range.  Our old stomping grounds.

Edited by Phat Fingers