The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Mega Off-Season Thread

Rate this topic

Odd.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

If Myers and/ or Boeser get moved, I think Vancouver's actually in a good spot, with some versatility for how they want to fix their top-4 D.

Moreover, on the note about top-4 defense, I wonder if (in case they can't find a trade) a switch to try would be Hughes - Myers, and then OEL - Schenn.  Hear me out.
For all the bad reputation Myers has garnered as "Chaos Giraffe", he showed at times this past season that (even without OEL, e.g. in some OT games) he can make sound defensive plays.  Now of course OEL changing to play more defensively did help to cover his mistakes, but if Boudreau sat him down and talked with him to focus more as a shutdown and physical partner for Hughes (who would be in charge of breakouts) I'm sure that he could take on that responsibility.  In fact, Hughes' improvement defensively this season could also help to cover Myers' mistakes, and they would be two of the more capable puck-moving D that we have, plus both improved their defensive games recently.  The two of them did have success two seasons ago.

Regarding swapping Schenn to partner with OEL, we saw how the former Coyotes captain could step up offensively when he wasn't burdened with covering Myers' mistakes.  Schenn won't have such an issue as he's primarily a shutdown guy.  Having a 35-40 point, offensively oriented OEL with a stable partner in Schenn could unlock the depth scoring that we need, plus he's still shown this year that he can carry a defensive load with Myers.  With Schenn they might provide the all-around pair that the team needs.

(disclaimer, optimally Myers does get moved, but in case he doesn't, since OEL - Myers was all defense, they might as well try and unlock two offensive LHD in Hughes and OEL.  They can recreate a symbiotic pair in Hughes - Myers where both can take turns roving up ice, and Myers can also be that shutdown guy who falls back).

These kind of moves are what we need to be thinking about.  Myers/OEL was pretty solid for large parts of the year, but was more about getting the best out of Myers than OEL.  Either we get a stay at home LD to play with Myers or we move him and call up Rathbone so that all of our puck moving comes from the left side and the RD are all stay at home support.  The latter might be easier to accomplish and would give us some cap flexibility.  I like Myers but not at the cost of OEL's offensive game. 

Sign Bruce, 2 years with a year 3 option. 

Clear cap:

Pearson, Dickinson for anything. Poolman if possible but we might be stuck with him on LTIR for 3 more years. Trade Myers to Dallas for picks.

Get's us close to 23 mil in cap space.

Decision on Brock pre-draft:

If he's willing to sign something at 6 mil AAV keep him, if not move him for the best dman or mix of 1st and 2nd round picks.

Upgrade RHD:

- and by upgrade, I mean get guys in that can play a solid game in our end and be physical at a reasonable cost. We have 3 puck movers/shooters in Hughes, OEL, Rathbone. Give them solid partners.

- try for Manson in UFA, and maybe Rutta. Depends on what the Brock trade brings if that happens or not.

- try to pry Whitecloud from a desperate Vegas.

Upgrade F physicality:

- sign Nick Paul and Deslauries to toughen up the bottom 6. 

I don't think we need to mess with the core, they need guys with size and who can play a hard defensive/tough game to help them.

This is all assuming Miller re-signs for something we can live with. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Starting to think more and more Garland, Myers, Pearson, Dickinson and Hoglander are traded in roster player for player moves. Poolman stays on LTIR (the new Ferland). They'll also look to shore up team toughness/top 4 D pairings

Trochek, Marchment and Lafraniere will be targets on the top 9....

56 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Who, if possible on the FA market can take the second paring match up minutes on the RHD, or first, and won’t break the bank? 

that and shed cap, try to not give up the future and draft to fill the need.  

Taking the BPA is relative, to who is left or who falls, taking a mid first on the most promising RHD with the ability to project as a fit for Hughes, and don’t stop until success is achieved.   

each draft, not every draft pick. 

If we move up, then take the BPA if one of the two Czech RHD isn’t available if we are end up in the 6-10 range.  Our old stomping grounds.

I would like a Josh Mason type signing RD, 6'3, 215 can play with Hughes if they don't make a trade for a young RD man...

Mason will be 31 in October, UFA so might get him for 3.2 million X 3 yrs? Might be more like 3.7 million..

Mason plays like Schenn but more talented then Schenn..Mason Could fill #4 RD spot for a few years, very tough, great size..

55 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Sign Bruce, 2 years with a year 3 option. 

Clear cap:

Pearson, Dickinson for anything. Poolman if possible but we might be stuck with him on LTIR for 3 more years. Trade Myers to Dallas for picks.

Get's us close to 23 mil in cap space.

Decision on Brock pre-draft:

If he's willing to sign something at 6 mil AAV keep him, if not move him for the best dman or mix of 1st and 2nd round picks.

Upgrade RHD:

- and by upgrade, I mean get guys in that can play a solid game in our end and be physical at a reasonable cost. We have 3 puck movers/shooters in Hughes, OEL, Rathbone. Give them solid partners.

- try for Manson in UFA, and maybe Rutta. Depends on what the Brock trade brings if that happens or not.

- try to pry Whitecloud from a desperate Vegas.

Upgrade F physicality:

- sign Nick Paul and Deslauries to toughen up the bottom 6. 

I don't think we need to mess with the core, they need guys with size and who can play a hard defensive/tough game to help them.

This is all assuming Miller re-signs for something we can live with. 

Just out of interest who would replace Myers, easy enough to get rid of him I think there's a market for a 6'8" /230 RHD replacing him becomes our problem. Most teams if they have a quality RHD'man guess what they'll keep him ... IMHO. Heck Ottawa was willing to take an overpaid always injured Harmonic 

Edited by Fred65

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

I thought I’d make a thread because this off season is possibly our most important off-season in the last decade or so, and I think there’s some great discussions to be had about others opinions on how this team should move forward.

Do we keep Bruce? I think that’s a no brainer, yes of course.

Do we sign and trade Boeser? Will he take a respective cap discount due to his lacklustre season? Boeser is good for 25 goals a season give or take, though completely clearing his cap hit and allowing us to address organizational needs might be the best course of action to take, and I don’t consider this lightly, Boeser is very likeable and the day he leaves is going to be quite bittersweet.

Are we still far off from being a contender? Top 10 team in the league after Bruce took over, but there’s still some glaring issues this team has, particularly the bottom 6 depth and a lack of a 30-40 point RHD. 

I don’t have any hot take in particular, but I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea of trading our 1st round pick as part of a package for a defenseman, but only if it’s for a defenseman. 

I just want to see some major changes. I don’t mean completely overhaul the roster, but I consider a major change to be getting a bonafide RHD, and maybe 1 or 2 bottom 6 players that can change the makeup of our team dynamic. 

As for expectations, I’d like to see Petey get bigger, Boeser to work on cutting down a bit and improving his speed and acceleration, and Podz/Hogz to take some leaps in offensive production. 

Anyways flame on. Mods if you think this thread isn’t needed, or if it gets too heated, you can lock it up.

Good thread idea, would be nice to have a place for general off-season discussion.

I don't think I would trade our 1st unless we get another 1st somehow (Boeser? Miller?) or a cost controlled young asset we like better than the players available at the pick. After trading the last two 1sts however, its time to draft & have another good prospect coming.

The #1 priority for me, beyond figuring out Miller/Horvat, is adding a top 3 RHD. I think that'll involve moving out Myers money & potentially trading someone like Boeser or Garland (if not in a straight up hockey deal, for the assets to make the deal work).  

Beyond that finding another capable top 9 center (especially if Miller is traded), and seeing if we can free up cap space in the way of Dickinson/Poolman.

I think this roster is a playoff team as is, but it would be nice to add another piece on the backend & really get things going. 

Whether to trade Boeser or not is a tough one, if he would sign a deal like Garland's I would think long & hard about keeping him. I really like having both he & Garland, but we do need an asset to fetch a defenseman (and the cap flexibility). And if Brock will be alot more expensive then I'd rather keep Garland. 

If he signs a team friendly deal maybe you keep them both, then try & center a deal around Rathbone or Hoglander. Although the Miller situation needs to be resolved first; if he won't re-sign then there's no urgency to trade Brock or Garland. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1

we will see this throughout the summer as we have nothing left to do with missing the playoffs it will be a long summer.

One thing i always find a bit funny is trade proposals on CDC.

The proposer always thinks the player

A wants to come to Vancouver

B will give the Canucks a discount on their contracts because everyone wants to come here.

C we can get someone to take all our bad contracts for nothing.

If it was that easy to move players with tough contracts we would have done it already.

Myers probably isnt going anywhere, OEL definitely isnt going anywhere. Brock is most likely Priced out of our cap situation.

We need to find some grit up front someone with some snarl who isnt 5'10. Its time to get bigger. Too many smurfs and we are really easy to play against.

That and a RHD that is a defensive player. someone who can clear the crease , block shots and plays on the PK. maybe not afraid to drop the gloves either.

Im not sure how many contracts are up this season. If Brock is Moved we have cap space. replace a few of the deadwood with some fire and ice guys who can open up the ice a bit more and be tough to play against.

Give Boudreau a new contract

Trade Boeser to make cap room for Miller extension OR trade Miller if a king's ransom presents itself

If the latter, teach Boeser how to check

Extend Horvat

Dump Poolman and Dickinson

And keep the goal song B)

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

we will see this throughout the summer as we have nothing left to do with missing the playoffs it will be a long summer.

One thing i always find a bit funny is trade proposals on CDC.

The proposer always thinks the player

A wants to come to Vancouver

B will give the Canucks a discount on their contracts because everyone wants to come here.

C we can get someone to take all our bad contracts for nothing.

If it was that easy to move players with tough contracts we would have done it already.

Myers probably isnt going anywhere, OEL definitely isnt going anywhere. Brock is most likely Priced out of our cap situation.

We need to find some grit up front someone with some snarl who isnt 5'10. Its time to get bigger. Too many smurfs and we are really easy to play against.

That and a RHD that is a defensive player. someone who can clear the crease , block shots and plays on the PK. maybe not afraid to drop the gloves either.

Im not sure how many contracts are up this season. If Brock is Moved we have cap space. replace a few of the deadwood with some fire and ice guys who can open up the ice a bit more and be tough to play against.

You mean a right shot d like Luke Schenn?  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Just out of interest who would replace Myers, easy enough to get rid of him I think there's a market for a 6'8" /230 RHD replacing him becomes our problem. Most teams if they have a quality RHD'man guess what they'll keep him ... IMHO. Heck Ottawa was willing to take an overpaid always injured Harmonic 

I think Mason could easily replace what Miller brings in our own zone, and maybe even Whitecloud. 

Bruce I'm ok with... hard to argue with the results. Needs to figure out the flat first periods imho.

Boeser is on the block unless he has figure a way to skate faster... unless he is shooting the puck he is such a non factor

I don't we are too far off, roster needs some beef tho.

Need a top 4 dman yes... Schenn gets a lot of love but he is too slow in the end, he is a depth piece on a contender.

Hard to believe we played so well with several 7th pairing defencemen... otherwise our depth D are plus players so there's that.

I don't think we are at a place where we can afford to lose a 1st round pick to "put us over the top"

Definitely need to make some moves to be able to afford a top RHD, ultimately might need to wait until we clear the 2.4 mill dead cap for Holtby and Virtanen...

If we can make some moves we need to take advantage of the capped out contenders with UFA/RFA signees...

Assuming the re-sign Boeser, Lammiko and Highmore....

With Lockwood and Dowling we only have 12 forwards signed for next year, a bit thin to be honest, Dowling is injury relief at best...

This is JR/PA's team now, and it's not surprising they want they own guys.  I hope they re-sign Boudreau, and it appears they probably will.  

As for the players,  Allvin said they want to:

1. get younger

2. restock the prospects

3. clear cap

They may have a completely different plan, and for all we know Miller could be traded for younger players and prospects, which would also clear cap.

Would the Rangers do a Miller for Kakko and Lundkvist?

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Kakko

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Lundkvist

Dermott - xx

Team is younger and if that top forward line clicks...  They may want to build THEIR team so that they'll be good every year, for years.  If they re-sign Miller long term, they might have a very short window.

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

poolman, myers, schenn, dermott and hunt are really 3rd or 4th pair d-men. as someone says if we can move brock and myers we should be in good cap shape.

Exactly the problem. Punching above their weight class.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Any appetite to sign UFA Evander Kane?

Dont think EDM can sign him.  Maybe Kane takes a discount to play in his hometown?

I would be thrilled if we signed him. He’s a legitimate first line winger that’s good for at least 30 goals. 

Kane alongside Miller and Podkolzin would just be unfair. 

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Boudreau gets 3 more years

Miller gets 8.2 x 8

Bo gets 6.5 x 8

Boeser gets 6 x 3

Garland is traded.

Something like this. If they can sign Boeser for around 6 they'll keep him, and Miller up to 8.5. Then they have to work around the edges, can they move Garland, Pearson, Dickinson and whomever else to create space. We need to be faster and heavier, more growl on defense.