The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

What bugged me is he wouldn't let it go when it was obviously triggering Boes to get even more emotional. 

Yup.  None of his (or anyone Brock doesn’t want to share it with) business.  Hearing about Brock’s off ice family troubles sure explains a lot about his season.  Even carrying that burden he still scored 18 with BB coaching and nearly a 35-40 goal pace.  So pretty damned good.

Sign Brock.  He’s young.  He’s a goal scorer.  

Sign Miller and Bo too.  

Forget about this “reset” idea.  Go with what we’ve got for the time we have Demko on his current contract.  That’s all in for four years.  

• Vintage 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to 2022 Canucks end of season media availability
31 minutes ago, Muttley said:

What bugged me is he wouldn't let it go when it was obviously triggering Boes to get even more emotional. 

He should have listened to his conscience when he said “I don’t know if it’s fair for me to ask…”

That little voice inside was trying to tell Kuz that he shouldn’t do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He should have listened to his conscience when he said “I don’t know if it’s fair for me to ask…”

That little voice inside was trying to tell Kuz that he shouldn’t do it.

Exactly, I felt the same. That was his answer and he ignored it.

I'm going to move on because I feel like this has already generated more than what Brock should have to contend with. Leave the guy alone to get through this without all the eyes on him.

I'm super curious where JT was going? But, that too is personal so I'll assume it's positive. Probably to rescue a kitten from a roof top.

Hopefully to talk to Bruce about their pending new contracts.

(I loved what I heard from him...I mean, it's kind of what we'd expect at the end of the year but it also shows that he does see the chemistry that's developing and that the team is a bright light that's just starting to shine).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Watching Brock in that press conference….makes the people (mostly one person) on this board who constantly hammers on Boeser seem even more scummy than they already were.

Did this poster you refer to know of Brock’s off ice struggles?  So since Brock wanted to keep his private life out of the media, and just play, why is it somehow wrong for anyone to criticize Brock for his play?  Actually that’s exactly what Brock wants, isn’t it?  Discuss his play, and not his personal life, no?  

Maybe what Brock wants is we only discuss his play?

He wasn’t good enough this year to earn his QO.  We should sign him to a team friendly 6 x 2 year (show us more) contract.

Based on his play his trade value is in the tank.  

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I'm super curious where JT was going? But, that too is personal so I'll assume it's positive. Probably to rescue a kitten from a roof top.

Hopefully to talk to Bruce about their pending new contracts.

(I loved what I heard from him...I mean, it's kind of what we'd expect at the end of the year but it also shows that he does see the chemistry that's developing and that the team is a bright light that's just starting to shine).

We are bringing everyone (from our extended core) back with Bruce as coach.  Not sure if we sign Miller or Bo to new contracts.  Might just play next year with them as coming UFAs and see how the season goes.  Bess we need to re-sign.  Hopefully we get something done with him early, and before all that RFA QO stuff.  2 years at 6 per would be fair.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Demko news is the biggest of the day, if he’s out for any length of time due to surgery it’ll be another long year.

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

No doubt this group thinks very highly of Mr. Boudreau!

Learned a lot from the interviews. Here are what I see as some of the key points.

1. I had no idea things were so bad with Boeser's father. That was obviously a big problem for him and for his teammates and explains why he was not always in the game mentally (as he pretty much said, although not in exactly those words). I am not sure what the implications are going forward. Tough situation. 

2. Demko was battling injury for about 3 weeks before pulling the plug. Not  good news that he was risking aggravating the injury but it does explain why his play declined a bit. Also not good news that the injury is bad enough so that surgery is a realistic option. Hope they make the decision soon.  Really hope he is okay for next year. He is a great goalie and seems like a great guy. 

3. Pearson's comments on Podkolzin were interesting, especially that he can "skate like the wind". I agree he looks fast. The "book" on him was that he was a good skater but not a great skater but it looks like he has taken a step forward (literally). I was hoping he would not go to Russia this summer. He might get drafted while he is there. 

4. Everyone likes Bruce. If we don't have the extension announced on Monday I will start to have concerns about the management group. Wouldn't it make sense to have Bruce have a joint interview with Rutherford and Allvin instead of on separate days. Maybe I am just being paranoid.   

5. Missing the playoffs was obviously a big disappointment for the players.  But the tone of the interviews was not as upbeat as I expected. They had a great run in the second half. 

6. OEL was pretty restrained when asked about his pairing with Myers. Obviously he was going to say something positive but I think he was as restrained as he could be.  

7. Miller is a great player and had a fantastic season. But he is the one guy whose personality seems a bit abrasive. That is not necessarily a bad thing but I did notice it. 

8. Will be an interesting summer. They could bring back essentially the same core team (and the same coach) and probably make the playoffs. But big changes are also possible if the team tries to lay the foundation to build a cup contender two or three years down the road. Not sure which way I am leaning. I guess the big variable is whether they can re-sign Horvat and Miller to reasonable contracts. I am guessing yes on Horvat but I am not so sure about Miller. And obviously Boeser is a question mark. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did this poster you refer to know of Brock’s off ice struggles?  So since Brock wanted to keep his private life out of the media, and just play, why is it somehow wrong for anyone to criticize Brock for his play?  Actually that’s exactly what Brock wants, isn’t it?  Discuss his play, and not his personal life, no?  

Maybe what Brock wants is we only discuss his play?

He wasn’t good enough this year to earn his QO.  We should sign him to a team friendly 6 x 2 year (show us more) contract.

Based on his play his trade value is in the tank.  

I’m talking about a few select posters who have a single minded obsession with hating on a certain player. One such poster has displayed this issue, all year long, with Brock. Sure, his season could have been better, and no problem with a player getting fair criticism. But the folks I’m talking about completely disappear when the player is going well - and Brock had legit good moments this season - and will then again appear with their toxicity towards the player when they perhaps have a couple of poor games. Because it fits the negative narrative they are trying to spin. I stand by what I said…its a scummy move.

Having learned what Brock’s been going through all year….just makes the already bad optics of it all that much more disgusting in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Learned a lot from the interviews. Here are what I see as some of the key points.

1. I had no idea things were so bad with Boeser's father. That was obviously a big problem for him and for his teammates and explains why he was not always in the game mentally (as he pretty much said, although not in exactly those words). I am not sure what the implications are going forward. Tough situation. 

2. Demko was battling injury for about 3 weeks before pulling the plug. Not  good news that he was risking aggravating the injury but it does explain why his play declined a bit. Also not good news that the injury is bad enough so that surgery is a realistic option. Hope they make the decision soon.  Really hope he is okay for next year. He is a great goalie and seems like a great guy. 

3. Pearson's comments on Podkolzin were interesting, especially that he can "skate like the wind". I agree he looks fast. The "book" on him was that he was a good skater but not a great skater but it looks like he has taken a step forward (literally). I was hoping he would not go to Russia this summer. He might get drafted while he is there. 

4. Everyone likes Bruce. If we don't have the extension announced on Monday I will start to have concerns about the management group. Wouldn't it make sense to have Bruce have a joint interview with Rutherford and Allvin instead of on separate days. Maybe I am just being paranoid.   

5. Missing the playoffs was obviously a big disappointment for the players.  But the tone of the interviews was not as upbeat as I expected. They had a great run in the second half. 

6. OEL was pretty restrained when asked about his pairing with Myers. Obviously he was going to say something positive but I think he was as restrained as he could be.  

7. Miller is a great player and had a fantastic season. But he is the one guy whose personality seems a bit abrasive. That is not necessarily a bad thing but I did notice it. 

8. Will be an interesting summer. They could bring back essentially the same core team (and the same coach) and probably make the playoffs. But big changes are also possible if the team tries to lay the foundation to build a cup contender two or three years down the road. Not sure which way I am leaning. I guess the big variable is whether they can re-sign Horvat and Miller to reasonable contracts. I am guessing yes on Horvat but I am not so sure about Miller. And obviously Boeser is a question mark. 

With Demko and this core (extended to guys like Garland, OEL, Myers, Pearson, and our ELCs) we can win the Cup.  Demko can steal several games in any series against any team.  And the extended core we have can definitely score.  That’s a winning recipe.  Bring them all back with Bruce and see where we go.  

8 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Yah, he sure stepped on the cow pie. Wouldn't surprise me if he hears it from his peers.  Rightfully so too.  When a reporter is so desperate for clicks that he not only 

gets into a touchy, emotional subject, he keeps on with it. Major case of dorkitous to be sure.  Black Ball, hopefully.

I wonder if Kuzma is becoming the new Drance. Sigh.

I’ve said it before, but the fans have never been as poorly served as we are now, both in print (dying industry I know) and electronic media.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’m talking about a few select posters who have a single minded obsession with hating on a certain player. One such poster has displayed this issue, all year long, with Brock. Sure, his season could have been better, and no problem with a player getting fair criticism. But the folks I’m talking about completely disappear when the player is going well - and Brock had legit good moments this season - and will then again appear with their toxicity towards the player when they perhaps have a couple of poor games. Because it fits the negative narrative they are trying to spin. I stand by what I said…its a scummy move.

Having learned what Brock’s been going through all year….just makes the already bad optics of it all that much more disgusting in my opinion. 

I hope we sign Brock to a 2 x 6 deal.  He has the rare shot that can beat goalies clean from distance.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Yah, he sure stepped on the cow pie. Wouldn't surprise me if he hears it from his peers.  Rightfully so too.  When a reporter is so desperate for clicks that he not only 

gets into a touchy, emotional subject, he keeps on with it. Major case of dorkitous to be sure.  Black Ball, hopefully.

Why would he?

The reporter was compassionate and asked a genuine, off hockey related question, from a human perspective, asking how Brock’s doing and how is father is holding up. You guys are blowing it way out of proportion. Brock obviously teared up because lately he hasn’t been doing well. This wasn’t something for clicks or views, it was a genuine heartfelt question about how his father is doing, considering how endeared his family is with the fanbase. 

Not once did the interviewer mention Brock’s troubles this year, and even pointed out how he had 19 goals under Bruce and had a strong resurgence. 

I hope Brock’s going to be okay, and his father as well. Dementia is devastating and emotionally taxing. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1