The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Support for Brock

Rate this topic

fanfor42

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

honestly i don't really care if we end up signing boeser to 1 year on his QO since we still retain his right the next season.. i mean unless the team is planning on something dramatic with the cap space.. and we can't really afford to sign any decent size long term deal anyways with Miller and Horvat still looming and there's plenty of useless cap anchor we need and should move out anyways ie dickinson and poolman.

Next year we can bring the same team back and give it another go with Bruce and Martin.   I'd be more surprised if we don't do that.    It would be nice to have one of those 3 done this off-season just for clarity, it would also save Allvin a lot of work ... i'd be starting with Horvat, but Brock can also sign a medium term deal if he wants to stay.   There are other teams closer to his Dad that could be interested in him.   MIN given their cap issues ... he'd probably have to take a big discount to go there.     Being with his pals and support group in Vancouver is also a good thing.    A new team, closer to home say Detroit - means new friends, new teammates, new coaches etc etc etc.    Hard to say but in a way his QO offer works for both parties.    Cap hit is absolutely too high.    But it just seems like the right thing to do.   These guys are doing something special right now.   Hard to think they wouldn't want to be part of that - together.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Next year we can bring the same team back and give it another go with Bruce and Martin.   I'd be more surprised if we don't do that.    It would be nice to have one of those 3 done this off-season just for clarity, it would also save Allvin a lot of work ... i'd be starting with Horvat, but Brock can also sign a medium term deal if he wants to stay.   There are other teams closer to his Dad that could be interested in him.   MIN given their cap issues ... he'd probably have to take a big discount to go there.     Being with his pals and support group in Vancouver is also a good thing.    A new team, closer to home say Detroit - means new friends, new teammates, new coaches etc etc etc.    Hard to say but in a way his QO offer works for both parties.    Cap hit is absolutely too high.    But it just seems like the right thing to do.   These guys are doing something special right now.   Hard to think they wouldn't want to be part of that - together.  

i'd be more pissed off if we ended up trading boeser for whatever.. go out and sign domi and his 11 goals for 6mil and still have poolman/dickinson 5mil cap rotating in and out of the pressbox. ridding one of them would off set boeser's raise to the QO already rather than having it sit in the pressbox

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'd be more pissed off if we ended up trading boeser for whatever.. go out and sign domi and his 11 goals for 6mil and still have poolman/dickinson 5mil cap rotating in and out of the pressbox. ridding one of them would off set boeser's raise to the QO already rather than having it sit in the pressbox

That’s the kind of stupid stuff Benning did.  Lose guys who are important parts of our club and trade for or sign (free agents) who are not as good and aren’t connected to the club and who cost more.  Started with Bonino for Sutter, and then letting Tanev walk and trading for Schmidt.  

Keep Brock.  Sign him to two or three years at 6.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s the kind of stupid stuff Benning did.  Lose guys who are important parts of our club and trade for or sign (free agents) who are not as good and aren’t connected to the club and who cost more.  Started with Bonino for Sutter, and then letting Tanev walk and trading for Schmidt.  

even if he doesn't sign to a lower contract with term i still take him on his QO to give him another season and see if he regains his form.. i mean 22 goals in 70ish game in an emotionally roller coaster season for him + the horrible start by the team.. he can still bag 25 in whats considered a bad season over 82 games.. if he bounce back and have normal to great season then he can be over 30+? if u can score 22 in a bad season.. u can't be a useless player.. he's very strong along the boards and wins board battle.. put him on EP's wing instead of Miller's and I'll bet u his production goes up.. why? miller even though is a center occupies the same spot on the ice as boeser.. he likes to play on the left side of the ice where EP plays on the right side of the ice as center or even if we do Boeser Horvat EP.. at least horvat plays in the middle as a center and not in the same spot as the wingers so they are not all bunched up. creates more open space for either boeser or EP since the D can't overload and cheat to 1 side of the ice.

• Cheers 1

Sign Boeser for $6M x 5-8yr.  That would take him to age 30-33yr.  He’s a consistent 20g with upside of 30g.  He’s had a difficult year and still got 20g.  He’s just entering his prime.

That being said…it’s still a business.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Yep.   IMO Garland is a better player.    Domi is a mistake. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Sign Boeser for $6M x 5-8yr.  That would take him to age 30-33yr.  He’s a consistent 20g with upside of 30g.  He’s had a difficult year and still got 20g.  He’s just entering his prime.

That being said…it’s still a business.

Too much hasn't earned a 30-48 deal.  Around 24-27 and that's even on the high end.    To me it's a 4 year deal at basically the same cap hit, or a 5 year deal at less then he's making.   He barely earned his bridge deal as a UFA.   Was overpaid. 

Edited by IBatch

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Too much hasn't earned a 30-48 deal.  Around 24-27 and that's even on the high end.    To me it's a 4 year deal at basically the same cap hit.  

This bad year could dictate a cap savings if he  turns it around and becomes the player most people predicted he’d become when he re-signed before.  At that time most people projected 30g 70pts.  Then COVID hit (for 2yrs) and his father illness.  

$6M for a 20g 50pt player is an overpayment.  $6M for 25g 60pt player is even.  $6M for a 30g 70pt player is a steal.

It’s a gamble.

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Actually that's about right.  3 x 6.   Or just QO him and keep looking for a trade partner.    He can still get his legacy deal - but he hasn't earned it yet so shouldn't.   Throwing 40-50plus million at guys is only once they are proven.  Look at Miller.   Look at Naslund.  Look at the Sedins ... 4 year ish deals AFTER they showed promise.    Sure teams blow their budgets to keep a UFA or two around and that's fine - ONCE they are proven.   Brock isn't there yet.    He's close though and could blow the doors off.   But at this point the player you have is the player your most likely going to have.   A 50 point player on the low side assuming he's injured which is 4/5 years now.   And most not full seasons because of covid and minimal extra games (post season ... regular playoff teams play a lot more then 82 games)... when he's out it isn't as good.   Ideally i'd say 5.5 x 3.   For the club.   But his pedigree is going to bump that up as is his potential.   There still is some.   I also doubt we can afford Horvat/Miller and Brock.   We can there is a way ... but we also need cap help and help in other areas.   See Brock QO for one year or a 3-4 deal or traded.   

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, BPA said:

This bad year could dictate a cap savings if he  turns it around and becomes the player most people predicted he’d become when he re-signed before.  At that time most people projected 30g 70pts.  Then COVID hit (for 2yrs) and his father illness.  

$6M for a 20g 50pt player is an overpayment.  $6M for 25g 60pt player is even.  $6M for a 30g 70pt player is a steal.

It’s a gamble.

Yes it is.   As is Miller.  So is Horvat.   Going to be a tough call by Allvin on how to jam them all in.  Brocks age is his only advantage.   Injuries don't look good on his resume.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yes it is.   As is Miller.  So is Horvat.   Going to be a tough call by Allvin on how to jam them all in.  Brocks age is his only advantage.   Injuries don't look good on his resume.   

Yeah.  Got to factor in injuries.  So around 70 games.

10 hours ago, Viper007 said:

For all those people who want to trade Brock just because of the season he had, give your head a shake.  You never know what's going on in somebody's life, so you should never make assumptions thinking you know everything.  Going through what he has this season, must be so tough.  I will always cheer for you Brock!  You are a great person and my heart goes out to you.  Hope you spend as much time as you can with Duke.   

It's really a reason I don't post here much anymore, BB is criminally underrated in this market.  He's our best winger, solid playmaker and pretty effective at board play but screw that because he's slow apparently.  He had a bad season in a year that wouldn't of mattered regardless with this team and everyone piled all over the kid.  Eff that, I know this guy will be scoring 40 a year soon, I just pray it'll be with us. 

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It's really a reason I don't post here much anymore, BB is criminally underrated in this market.  He's our best winger, solid playmaker and pretty effective at board play but screw that because he's slow apparently.  He had a bad season in a year that wouldn't of mattered regardless with this team and everyone piled all over the kid.  Eff that, I know this guy will be scoring 40 a year soon, I just pray it'll be with us. 

We will sign Brock to a two year deal.  

• Cheers 1

Yeah after seeing that response by Brock in the interview, I'm certain there will be a moment in the near future when his game will round back into form.  I can't imagine how hard it has been playing through all that.  I hope we re-sign him to a reasonable short term deal as we know he is working through this. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Hey not everyone.   But i don't take any offense because even i'm not immune to it.  Garland has also proven to be solid - as is Pearson when he plays.    As soon as TT came in and guys started on Brock i defended him right away.   Guy tried his best in the bubble and didn't hurt the team one bit - taking hits to make plays and rushing back to help every shift.    That was the only part of his game the first year especially, and a little bit the second year that needed polishing.   This year he did look lost often.   That's ok.   Brocks quite literally scored about a dozen less goals then Pearson (think it might be 11 lol..:take away the Green empty netters and well about even lol) in less  then 250 games.   It's his 5th year but he's only played about 4 seasons worth of games - some covid related other injuries which is a concern.    Don't know why we can't have good things.  Instead trade him for a bunch a bag of pucks just to get whom?  Domi? No thx.   Manson and a little cap savings ... well i'm not the boss but at least that makes a little sense. 

That said Tre Mac you don't need to stop logging in bro.     And your not the only one who's noticed a ridiculous amount of spam or negativity around him.   There is a lot of posters (myself included) that get a little too wrapped up in cap hits lol.    Those guys/gals for the most part get a pass ... just want what is best for the team.   The only ones who need to be shamed a little, are the ones who say crap like "one dimensional" (he's not that - he's a great teammate - and like you've pointed out he's capable along the boards - and actually is a very good passer too) and when worse "trash - garbage" ... shamed me as a fan that our fans can be so cruel  ... Brock had an off year.  But we don't have to say mean things about him.   

Edit: And back to TT.  Why would fans be so quick to backlist an  injured 23 year old RW - our best for a couple seasons / because some LA drafted player comes in and scores at the same pace he did multiple times over the same sample size before?  And it didn't matter anyways, we only won like 2 or 3 freaking games WITH him in the lineup down the stretch.   At least JB treating him like the rental which he was.     Aside from Sundin, i've never seen such fan love for a player who was barely even here.   

Edit:  Even without any ascension, Brock is on pace to blow TT out of the water by the time he plays the same games too.   Hope he does and that it's with us. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hey not everyone.   But i don't take any offense because even i'm not immune to it.  Garland has also proven to be solid - as is Pearson when he plays.    As soon as TT came in and guys started on Brock i defended him right away.   Guy tried his best in the bubble and didn't hurt the team one bit - taking hits to make plays and rushing back to help every shift.    That was the only part of his game the first year especially, and a little bit the second year that needed polishing.   This year he did look lost often.   That's ok.   Brocks quite literally scored about a dozen less goals then Pearson (think it might be 11 lol) - in less  then 250 games.   It's his 5th year but he's only played about 4 seasons worth of games - some covid related other injuries which is a concern.    Don't know why we can't have good things.  Instead trade him for a bunch a bag of pucks just to get whom?  Domi? No thx.   Manson and a little cap savings ... well i'm not the boss but at least that makes a little sense. 

That said Tre Mac you don't need to stop logging in bro.     And your not the only one who's noticed a ridiculous amount of spam or negativity around him.   There is a lot of posters (myself included) that get a little too wrapped up in cap hits lol.    Those guys/gals for the most part get a pass ... just want what is best for the team.   The only ones who need to be shamed a little, are the ones who say crap like "one dimensional" (he's not that - he's a great teammate - and like you've pointed out he's capable along the boards - and actually is a very good passer too) and when worse "trash - garbage" ... shamed me as a fan that our fans can be so cruel  ... Brock had an off year.  But we don't have to say mean things about him.   

Agree with all your points Batch, also agree with Tre.  For me it’s the first year the GDTs became a little unbearable at times.   The cut throat attitude towards some of the players that have been consistent performers over the years was a little sad to endure.  Criticism is ok and sometimes these threads serve as therapy to get frustrations out - and things are said that are a little extreme-  but context is important too. 

There are a lot of good posters Imho that put forward rational arguments criticizing Brock’s performance.  There’s one person in particular though, as has been pointed out by others, that consistently crossed the line with personal attacks.  Openly thanked EP for drilling Brock and putting him out of the game, calling the kid stupid because he didn’t do a good job reading the teleprompter during the Canucks for kids telethon- think about that for a moment.. a player trying to do some good by reading a message to raise money for sick children and the local buffoon felt it necessary to comment about how dumb Brock sounds.  The same Brock who has a long history visiting hospitals and taking that young lady to her prom while he was still at North Dakota ( it’s on YouTube)  I suppose none of the good deeds count in some peoples minds.

To me the story behind the players, how they got to the NHL, help to form the character of a team and how we as fans get behind the team.  Imagine if they switched all the players out in game 80 and the team went on to win a cup, would it be the same? Not for me.  I wanna see the kid that I followed through college and then watched develop win the cup.. if I know the guy is a good person who has also overcome obstacles I will feel even better when the day comes that they win it all. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

47 minutes ago, Darius said:

Agree with all your points Batch, also agree with Tre.  For me it’s the first year the GDTs became a little unbearable at times.   The cut throat attitude towards some of the players that have been consistent performers over the years was a little sad to endure.  Criticism is ok and sometimes these threads serve as therapy to get frustrations out - and things are said that are a little extreme-  but context is important too. 

There are a lot of good posters Imho that put forward rational arguments criticizing Brock’s performance.  There’s one person in particular though, as has been pointed out by others, that consistently crossed the line with personal attacks.  Openly thanked EP for drilling Brock and putting him out of the game, calling the kid stupid because he didn’t do a good job reading the teleprompter during the Canucks for kids telethon- think about that for a moment.. a player trying to do some good by reading a message to raise money for sick children and the local buffoon felt it necessary to comment about how dumb Brock sounds.  The same Brock who has a long history visiting hospitals and taking that young lady to her prom while he was still at North Dakota ( it’s on YouTube)  I suppose none of the good deeds count in some peoples minds.

To me the story behind the players, how they got to the NHL, help to form the character of a team and how we as fans get behind the team.  Imagine if they switched all the players out in game 80 and the team went on to win a cup, would it be the same? Not for me.  I wanna see the kid that I followed through college and then watched develop win the cup.. if I know the guy is a good person who has also overcome obstacles I will feel even better when the day comes that they win it all. 

Maybe this site should be age restricted.  

Edit:  I like to see the pre-game stuff but once the game is on ... you won't see me post hardly ever.   Maybe a tiny bit between periods.  I can't do two things at once..  Unlike my lovely wife who can watch our favourite show and facebook and watch videos of whatever.   I can't stand that either.    Games on shut up and don't say anything.  Sometime i scream at the TV though.  And really enjoy the PGT.   And also i live on the wrong side of the country for home games so that plays into it.   What cracks me up is i sometimes get up and watch the PVR at 3:00 and you guys are still talking about the game in the PGT.   We are all fans ... i should be more inclusive, but some of the stuff I read makes me feel bad about the state of fandom with what i can only think is stuff that would come out of my kids mouths.   That said i'm sure id have been really hard to take if this platform existed when i was in my teens and early 20's too.  I'd be mostly lamenting about how come we couldn't have a dynasty like MTL/NYI and the Oilers. 

Edited by IBatch