The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 3-Way PHI-WPG-VAN

My Monday morning proposal lol

Sounds like Pierre Luc Dubois may be available, and WPG needs help on defence:  https://awinninghabit.com/2022/04/27/canadiens-pierre-luc-dubois/

I'm not one to trade Miller easily, but if it means PLD in a Canucks jersey and having Petey and PLD as the 1-2 punch for 8 years, I'm all in.

TRADE #1 (3- Way)

To WPG:

Ivan Provorov

Tucker Poolman ($600k retained)

2023 3rd Round Pick (PHI)

To PHI:

JT Miller

Nate Schmidt

To VAN:

Pierre Luc Dubois

2022 2nd Round Pick (PHI) -- this is a high 2nd rounder

WPG out:  Pierre Luc Dubois, Nate Schmidt

WPG in:  Provorov, Poolman ($600k retained), 2023 3rd Round Pick (PHI)

PHI out:  Provorov, 2022 2nd Round Pick, 2023 3rd Round Pick

PHI in:  JT Miller, Schmidt

VAN out:  JT Miller, Poolman ($600k retained)

VAN in:  Pierre Luc Dubois, 2022 2nd Round Pick (PHI)

WPG needs help on their blueline.  They get a substantial defensive upgrade with Provorov, and someone they are familiar with in Poolman for a measly $1.9M AAV.

PHI gets elite 1C JT Miller and a solid defenceman in Nate Schmidt.

VAN gets a fantastic centre to provide that 1-2-3 punch down the middle for the next decade or so.  Also acquire a 2nd round pick to fill out their draft this year.

TRADE #2

To PIT:

Conor Garland

To VAN:

John Marino

Its gotta hurt to acquire a defenceman like Marino.  Garland has cost certainty and is a Top 6 winger for PIT moving forward.

TRADE #3

To CLB/DAL:

Tyler Myers

To VAN:

3rd Round Pick

CLB lost Jones, DAL will lose Klingberg.  Myers fills in nicely on either CLB or DAL. 

Overall, Canucks now have a 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds in this year's draft.

Now to the projections and other moves...

Assuming the cap goes up by $1M per year for the next 3 years, then a very conservative $2M per year after that (after escrow taken care of in 2024-25)...

$7.875M x 8 for PLD (same deal as Suzuki in Montreal -- see article posted above)

$7M x 8 for Horvat (Canuck for life!)

$10M x 8 for Petey

Sign Lyubushkin at $2.85M x 5 -- defensive defenceman for OEL to finally play offensively

Sign Niederreiter or other Top 6 (Nichuskin?) for $5.5M-ish x 5

Keeping the UFA signings to 5 years, so when Petey and Hughes hit their prime, there's flexibility on what we wanna do then.

Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser

Hoglander-PLD-Niederreiter

Pearson-Bo-Dickinson (would like to move Dickinson out if possible too, Chiasson could probably step in here)

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Marino

OEL-Lyubushkin

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs

This is all assuming we have no prospects ever entering the roster lol.  At some point, we'll have ELCs and young guys moving up.

Thinking Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone, Woo, and others will come along.  They will help fill in the bottom 6 and bottom defence pair (or 7th D).  For example, I feel that Woo could eventually replace Lyubushkin.

Cap2029-30PLD.jpg.1afc418e349f36af4032f06847a5a9b2.jpg

These deals allow the Canucks to be super competitive from now until the end of Petey and Hughes' peak years.

When Petey and Hughes hit their absolute peak (29 and 28 years old in 2027-28), there is a TON of cap space to work with ($14M to $18M).  Could make a major push then.

My thoughts:

- I'd actually rather have Provorov than Dubois. Dubois seems like "more of the same" to me at an expensive cost. Rather shore up our defense.

- Marino's on a good long term deal. I don't see why Pitts does this.

- I don't know if I like where the cap is being allocated with this, nor do I like Bo being on the 3rd line.

• Upvote 1

I'm questioning how Philly makes the cap work, moving out Provorov is enough to fit in Miller on his current contract but they're not moving out enough cap to bring in Miller and Schmidt. Philly does have van Reimsdyk's 7M freeing up at the end of next season but it'd be a helluva squeeze between the beginning of next season and the end.

Couturier's raise also kicks in next season and Sanheim will be due for a raise after next season as well. 

They've also got RFA's to sign, Yandle to replace, and a backup to sign. I guess getting Giroux and Brassard's cap freed up will help with some of that. 

I just have a hard time seeing Philly as a trade partner. 

Edited by Coconuts

Sounds like Scheifele is the one on the 'outs' in Wpg.  He subtely laid the groundwork to either get traded and/or just leave through UFA during his end of season interviews.  Cheveldayoff has to know that if this is in fact what Scheifele is planning, he absolutely needs PLD to be signed long-term there - as such I don't see them interested in moving him. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sounds like Scheifele is the one on the 'outs' in Wpg.  He subtely laid the groundwork to either get traded and/or just leave through UFA during his end of season interviews.  Cheveldayoff has to know that if this is in fact what Scheifele is planning, he absolutely needs PLD to be signed long-term there - as such I don't see them interested in moving him. 

Scheifele 29,C,  6'3, 210 lbs, has 2 yrs remaining at 6.1 million.. Teams would love him at this salary for 2 more years..

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Scheifele 29,C,  6'3, 210 lbs, has 2 yrs remaining at 6.1 million.. Teams would love him at this salary for 2 more years..

If I'm Chevy, I don't do what Benning did and simply prolong the inevitable decline - I trade Scheifely sooner rather than later and maximize the return while he's at his highest worth.  You could easily complete a 'retool' with the assets that a player the calibre of Scheifely would return.  He has a M-NTC, but it's clear by his recent comments he's looking for a way out - plus I've heard many of the fans aren't happy with the character he showed by injuring Jake Evans in the playoffs that year.  Fans believe he cost them that entire playoffs with his selfish, predatory actions.  I think it would be a perfect time to move on from him if I'm Chevy. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

My Monday morning proposal lol

Sounds like Pierre Luc Dubois may be available, and WPG needs help on defence:  https://awinninghabit.com/2022/04/27/canadiens-pierre-luc-dubois/

I'm not one to trade Miller easily, but if it means PLD in a Canucks jersey and having Petey and PLD as the 1-2 punch for 8 years, I'm all in.

TRADE #1 (3- Way)

To WPG:

Ivan Provorov

Tucker Poolman ($600k retained)

2023 3rd Round Pick (PHI)

To PHI:

JT Miller

Nate Schmidt

To VAN:

Pierre Luc Dubois

2022 2nd Round Pick (PHI) -- this is a high 2nd rounder

WPG out:  Pierre Luc Dubois, Nate Schmidt

WPG in:  Provorov, Poolman ($600k retained), 2023 3rd Round Pick (PHI)

PHI out:  Provorov, 2022 2nd Round Pick, 2023 3rd Round Pick

PHI in:  JT Miller, Schmidt

VAN out:  JT Miller, Poolman ($600k retained)

VAN in:  Pierre Luc Dubois, 2022 2nd Round Pick (PHI)

WPG needs help on their blueline.  They get a substantial defensive upgrade with Provorov, and someone they are familiar with in Poolman for a measly $1.9M AAV.

PHI gets elite 1C JT Miller and a solid defenceman in Nate Schmidt.

VAN gets a fantastic centre to provide that 1-2-3 punch down the middle for the next decade or so.  Also acquire a 2nd round pick to fill out their draft this year.

TRADE #2

To PIT:

Conor Garland

To VAN:

John Marino

Its gotta hurt to acquire a defenceman like Marino.  Garland has cost certainty and is a Top 6 winger for PIT moving forward.

TRADE #3

To CLB/DAL:

Tyler Myers

To VAN:

3rd Round Pick

CLB lost Jones, DAL will lose Klingberg.  Myers fills in nicely on either CLB or DAL. 

Overall, Canucks now have a 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds in this year's draft.

Now to the projections and other moves...

Assuming the cap goes up by $1M per year for the next 3 years, then a very conservative $2M per year after that (after escrow taken care of in 2024-25)...

$7.875M x 8 for PLD (same deal as Suzuki in Montreal -- see article posted above)

$7M x 8 for Horvat (Canuck for life!)

$10M x 8 for Petey

Sign Lyubushkin at $2.85M x 5 -- defensive defenceman for OEL to finally play offensively

Sign Niederreiter or other Top 6 (Nichuskin?) for $5.5M-ish x 5

Keeping the UFA signings to 5 years, so when Petey and Hughes hit their prime, there's flexibility on what we wanna do then.

Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser

Hoglander-PLD-Niederreiter

Pearson-Bo-Dickinson (would like to move Dickinson out if possible too, Chiasson could probably step in here)

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Marino

OEL-Lyubushkin

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs

This is all assuming we have no prospects ever entering the roster lol.  At some point, we'll have ELCs and young guys moving up.

Thinking Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone, Woo, and others will come along.  They will help fill in the bottom 6 and bottom defence pair (or 7th D).  For example, I feel that Woo could eventually replace Lyubushkin.

Cap2029-30PLD.jpg.1afc418e349f36af4032f06847a5a9b2.jpg

These deals allow the Canucks to be super competitive from now until the end of Petey and Hughes' peak years.

When Petey and Hughes hit their absolute peak (29 and 28 years old in 2027-28), there is a TON of cap space to work with ($14M to $18M).  Could make a major push then.

If were moving Miller we will get a better package than that

41 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

I like 3-ways just like any other guy, but not sure PLD will materialize into anything close to a Miller. 

I’d shoot for an elite RHD. 

Exactly!  PLD is a very much overhyped player.  He’s good, but doesn’t have anywhere close to Miller’s skill.  If we trade Miller, we still have Petey and Bo, who are both way better than PLD.  

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

Scheifele has really killed his value with his uninterested play.  I'm a bit of a closet WPG fan don't tell my friends. Somethings up w Sheif The potential is there but the spark isn't right now the way he's playing love might be strong wording.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Scheifele has really killed his value with his uninterested play.  I'm a bit of a closet WPG fan don't tell my friends. Somethings up w Sheif The potential is there but the spark isn't right now the way he's playing love might be strong wording.  

Maybe Schiefele needs a change of scenery?  I’d trade Garland for him.  The Jets wouldn’t, but I would.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Schiefele needs a change of scenery?  I’d trade Garland for him.  The Jets wouldn’t, but I would.  

I think WPG should be rejuvenating Garland isn't really what they need rn. 

Plus I really like Garland. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think WPG should be rejuvenating Garland isn't really what they need rn. 

Plus I really like Garland. 

I like Schiefele more, even if his contract is 1 million more and only two years instead of four.

I have a feeling Garland is the guy (from our top guys) we trade.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Schiefele more, even if his contract is 1 million more and only two years instead of four.

I have a feeling Garland is the guy (from our top guys) we trade.  

That's fair to clarify I think WPG should be more interested in futures if trading Sheif.

And I like Garland!

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1