The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon musk and world hunger

iceman64

After noticing a bit of news from NATO saying to Elon Musk he had enough money to solve world hunger that would cost 6.6 billion dollars.

However if that's true, something else seems strange to me that is pathetic in another way.

Here's NATO saying that BUT in reality (here it comes and it shocked me) 

The amount of money globally combined spent on military makes 6.6 billion look like absolute chump change. It's a staggering 1.98 Trillion "annually"

So here I'am thinking why the F is Elon Musk even in the conversation when the world could solve that problem on it's own and even irrigate water so countries who are poor could grown their own food etc etc and probably healthcare for everyone easily so as smart as we humans think we are, not so much. 

27 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

After noticing a bit of news from NATO saying to Elon Musk he had enough money to solve world hunger that would cost 6.6 billion dollars.

However if that's true, something else seems strange to me that is pathetic in another way.

Here's NATO saying that BUT in reality (here it comes and it shocked me) 

The amount of money globally combined spent on military makes 6.6 billion look like absolute chump change. It's a staggering 1.98 Trillion "annually"

So here I'am thinking why the F is Elon Musk even in the conversation when the world could solve that problem on it's own and even irrigate water so countries who are poor could grown their own food etc etc and probably healthcare for everyone easily so as smart as we humans think we are, not so much. 

Musk is in the conversation because one man/woman can do it a lot faster and way more efficiently than any government.

Doesn't have to be Musk. Could also be Gates, Bezos, Arnault, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Ellison etc.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Musk is in the conversation because one man/woman can do it a lot faster and way more efficiently than any government.

Doesn't have to be Musk. Could also be Gates, Bezos, Arnault, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Ellison etc.

Well that could be true because of red tape burocracy BUT how long have we had to do it already? Even with slow government it could have been done years ago but doesn't it make you wonder why not? 

14 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well that could be true because of red tape burocracy BUT how long have we had to do it already? Even with slow government it could have been done years ago but doesn't it make you wonder why not? 

People and governments in rich countries don't want to do it. If you're at the top of the chain it's human nature to want to stay there.

To put it another way..... If there weren't losers in the world to judge yourself against, how would you know you're not a loser?

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

People and governments in rich countries don't want to do it. If you're at the top of the chain it's human nature to want to stay there.

To put it another way..... If there weren't losers in the world to judge yourself against, how would you know you're not a loser?

True, but we all die, so in the end does that even matter? I'm not sure it's 100% human nature, some of it seems to be learned greed.. you know, keeping up with the Jones' newest best thing.. and sadly the environment can't sustain 8 billion people doing it or trying to, I don't think that's everyone since I've seen the so-called losers who just have what they need a lot happier than folks who have way more than they need.. damn this is depressing me!

Right up there with the Canucks selling the farm for a roster, and wondering will it ever stop? Things that make you go Hmmmm?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

True, but we all die, so in the end does that even matter? I'm not sure it's 100% human nature, some of it seems to be learned greed.. you know, keeping up with the Jones' newest best thing.. and sadly the environment can't sustain 8 billion people doing it or trying to, I don't think that's everyone since I've seen the so-called losers who just have what they need a lot happier than folks who have way more than they need.. damn this is depressing me!

Right up there with the Canucks selling the farm for a roster, and wondering will it ever stop? Things that make you go Hmmmm?

Many questions, few answers. "Does it even matter?" Greed isn't always learned. It's a characteristic we are endowed with. Some more than others I guess. Sadly it's usually those people who rise to power and make the decisions.

I don't think we need to worry all that much about overpopulation. Birth rates are dropping all over the globe. Population growth is projected to peak around 2040 then go into a steep decline. Though what happens +100 years from now is anyone's guess.

It's not until we waste years chasing 'stuff' that we realize 'stuff' isn't what makes up happy. Lennon and McCartney summed it up pretty well "All you need is love".

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Many questions, few answers. "Does it even matter?" Greed isn't always learned. It's a characteristic we are endowed with. Some more than others I guess. Sadly it's usually those people who rise to power and make the decisions.

I don't think we need to worry all that much about overpopulation. Birth rates are dropping all over the globe. Population growth is projected to peak around 2040 then go into a steep decline. Though what happens +100 years from now is anyone's guess.

It's not until we waste years chasing 'stuff' that we realize 'stuff' isn't what makes up happy. Lennon and McCartney summed it up pretty well "All you need is love".

That or a comet that's 2,0000,000 miles wide  it and a 10 trillion mile long tail might ruin our day lol not to mention a random black hole of dark matter would "suck" for us too lol  and yet we worry about the smallest things.. yikes 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I was in a Futurium museum (or something like that) one option to solve world hunger is to actually start processing insects as a source of food or protein. Apparently it's sustainable due to how rapid insets reproduce. 

It's kind of gross to think about it but objectively it might be a viable option.

23 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Once you stop yourself from caring about all this stuff that's when you want to start sharing 

Cause all the things we want are cheap or free 

I define success as not working 

And I live like a king  

Mikey B 

Like Mike I do something I love, in my case growing flowers, so I don't " work " many days. 

I have never been short of a buck however some of the happiest days of my life were sleeping in the back of my car at Mt.Hotham for six seasons, skiing everyday and hanging out with my friends. 

The money I saved from having to pay for a room/bed enabled me to sponsor more kids in Africa at the time.

I did 20 seasons all up, my friends " dragged"  me out of my car, they said I was getting a bit smelly. 

As for world hunger I believe you are aware I try to do my bit, so I won't go on about it.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Once you stop yourself from caring about all this stuff that's when you want to start sharing 

And I live like a king  

Mikey B 

Like Mike I do something I love, in my case growing flowers, so I don't " work " many days. 

I have never been short of a buck however some of the happiest days of my life were sleeping in the back of my car at Mt.Hotham for six seasons, skiing everyday and hanging out with my friends. 

The money I saved from having to pay for a room/bed enabled me to sponsor more kids in Africa at the time.

I did 20 seasons all up, my friends " dragged"  me out of my car, they said I was getting a bit smelly. 

As for world hunger I believe you are aware I try to do my bit, so I won't go on about it.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

And I live like a king  

Mikey B 

By the time we get everyone fed we're going to be dying from lack of clean air and water.  Pollution, global warming, overpopulation, the obscenely unequal distribution of wealth, wars over money and religion, and starvation are all intimately connected.  You can't solve one without addressing the others.  It's not just about coughing up the money, it's about changing how we create and distribute wealth.  And this in turn is dependent on how we respect the planet as not just our economic engine but as a place for living organisms to thrive.  GCG!

• Cheers 1