The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

1 minute ago, tas said:

I like bruce but I wouldn't extend him either. aside from the reasons mentioned, I also feel like once the upbeat, nice guy attitude wears thin and stops motivating, I don't think he has the technical coaching chops to steer the team. his systems and in-game adjustments and whatnot are far from elite nhl coaching level. 

there's a reason why his teams in the past haven't succeeded when it counts. I felt, even before he was hired, that he was the right midseason replacement for this group because of how negative things had gotten and because he is a super positive guy that would refresh the room. he's definitely not the coach I would choose to start trying to build a contender around. 

It sure sounded like JR and Allvin left the decision to come back to Bruce, but any return is on their terms.  One year, and with changes to how he coaches certain things.

Gosh, I wish I knew what their plan was. Do they intend to re-sign both Horvat and Miller?  Big issues with the D, so I'm assuming Myers or OEL are gone. 

OEL - 

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - 

This would be it, so I think they plan on rebuilding the D. Kris Letang's name was brought up and I thought of him earlier in the season, as he's a UFA after this year. He may want to come out to play in VAN for JR/PA. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So we are trying to compete next year for the playoffs, while building for a more competitive future.  Hmmm.  Where have we heard that before?

Seems like we might do nothing other than some minor moves around the edges.  

Bring back Bruce, Bo, and Miller all with no contracts for the following season.

Sign Brock to a short term deal, or just Qualify him.

What they did get right is we rely too much on a great goalie.  

But what changes, other than in coaching, can we make to improve if we are keeping Miller and Bo?  

This might be a result of ownership (they want to win and win now). JR changed his tune when they were tanking early in the season to now where they will improve/add a couple pieces.

The comments about the team needing more structure, the criticism of the zone exits….more and more I get the feeling that JR and his helper aren’t that enamoured with Loosey Goosey Brucie’s coaching. Very interesting fodder today.

Agree with those who think it sounds like more nibbling around the edges of the roster this Summer. But if JT and his team are determined to get full market value….then buh bye JT. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gosh, I wish I knew what their plan was. Do they intend to re-sign both Horvat and Miller?  Big issues with the D, so I'm assuming Myers or OEL are gone. 

OEL - 

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - 

This would be it, so I think they plan on rebuilding the D. Kris Letang's name was brought up and I thought of him earlier in the season, as he's a UFA after this year. He may want to come out to play in VAN for JR/PA. 

and maybe as a little homage for luc bourdon. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

The comments about the team needing more structure, the criticism of the zone exits….more and more I get the feeling that JR and his helper aren’t that enamoured with Loosey Goosey Brucie’s coaching. Very interesting fodder today.

Agree with those who think it sounds like more nibbling around the edges of the roster this Summer. But if JT and his team are determined to get full market value….then buh bye JT. 

They're completely right about structure and zone exits.  Was an even bigger problem under Green though.  Shaw made some difference but it's strange that with all the changes that have happened, this hasn't been fixed.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

They're completely right about structure and zone exits.  Was an even bigger problem under Green though.  Shaw made some difference but it's strange that with all the changes that have happened, this hasn't been fixed.

Myers

The guy is too gangly and has poor puck control, loses the puck easily in his feet. He's kind of the anti-Garland.

• Cheers 1

I'm going out on a limb and saying, Boeser, Myers, OEL, Dickinson, Ferland (ship contract out to a team needing cap relief) all get traded this summer and that we start next season with 2 - 4 million in cap space and a much more clearly defined top 6 vs bottom 6 and completely overhauled defense that is built around Hughes and a top pairing RD, to be named later, and that RD might wind up being Kris Letang for a 3 year deal. Pittsburgh is getting old and needs to reset and if he wants a serious run at another cup, he might have a better option going to a younger team. Could you imagine Hughes and Letang as our top pairing next season, feeding each other and running the power play?

• Like 1

As much as we like Boudreau, the players probably love him more. Especially the young guys. How will it affect them if Bruce is gone?  Will Miller revert to his former frustrated self?  Is that why JR said players who won't listen to the coach will be gone. Are they preparing the players for a new coach they must listen to,  or else? 

Gronborg?

Edited by NUCKER67

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So we are trying to compete next year for the playoffs, while building for a more competitive future.  Hmmm.  Where have we heard that before?

Seems like we might do nothing other than some minor moves around the edges.  

Bring back Bruce, Bo, and Miller all with no contracts for the following season.

Sign Brock to a short term deal, or just Qualify him.

What they did get right is we rely too much on a great goalie.  

But what changes, other than in coaching, can we make to improve if we are keeping Miller and Bo?  

This management team is much better than J.B. at public relations and farting rainbows. However, they have done very little at this point to judge. 

The one thing that is for sure is that this management team has a lot more personnel for delegation, a lot more meetings, a lot more emails and memos going back and forth. J.B. steadily gained weight throughout his tenure because he and his team tried to do everything with minimum staff. I don't know if this management team will win the Cup but it is going to be a puppy mill for NHL executives for years to come :lol:

Edited by Maddogy

43 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

You get the impression that the new Canucks brass have certain issues with Bruce’s coaching…the comments about “helping” him with certain things really stands out. But the guy just won so damn much they are under big pressure to bring him back. 

Seems like they love what he was able to do "in the room" and getting the most out of players but want to add more structure to the team's overall game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

Seems like they love what he was able to do "in the room" and getting the most out of players but want to add more structure to the team's overall game. 

If the Canucks did not play with structure then how the heck did they win all those games in the second half of the season? Are the Canucks so talented that they won those games without structure? What does this tell you about those structured teams that lost to the Canucks?

Edited by Maddogy

13 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Sounds like they weren’t fooled by the record. Big changes coming

This fanbase can be pretty vocal/hostile....people are pretty fed up with the dog chasing its tail and FINALLY saw something (through the record) that seemed like it was settling.

I think they understand that changes have to be made without disrupting what they do have. Big ideas are fine, big egos that don't listen to the room don't always do what's right overall...they do what they think is right.

Fooled by which record? The start of the season or the end, because there were 2 to examine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tas said:

I would be shocked if at least one of myers or oel aren't moved, and equally shocked if allvin didn't go hard after kris letang on a reasonably priced retirement contract to teach the new crop of d how he wants them to play. 

I look at it like this:

They have hinted at improving or changing the blue line so....

Hughes, Dermott and Schenn likely stay.

OEL probably stays?

There's only one guy left (not including Hunt or Rathbone). You can't bring back the same guys and blab about change. It's Myers or OEL.

Edited by Chris12345