The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, every time I try and find a way to improve the blueline, it always comes down to Myers.  There's simply no other way to improve it.

Like you said, Hughes, Dermott, Schenn, and OEL are all staying either because they're too good, too cheap, or impossible to move (OEL).

So Myers, Hunt, Burroughs, Poolman...

If we move out Myers and replace him with Poolman or Burroughs, is it a $3.5M to $5M reduction in performance?  Probably not...

Do gotta wonder a little bit on how Poolman could potentially play with Boudreau's system vs Green's terrible defensive system.

Yea exactly.

I forgot about Poolman that's a tough contract.

Like I said they are hinting at changing the d and getting cap flexibility....Sounds like Myers or OEL?

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Just to post it in case others haven't watched it.

I'm stoked that JR confirms what seems obvious to me on the ice. Especially his take on exiting the puck out of the defensive zone. To hear him say: "Our exits from our defensive zone are not great...probably one of the worst in the league."  "when they're in trouble...what am I supposed to do with the puck?, ...instead of just banging it up the boards..and they keep it in the zone, and bang its in our net"  JR is preaching we have the talent, but just need the proper defensive structure.

I"ve seen this in countless games.  I try and tell myself that other teams must have the same problem exiting their zone and I just am seeing through my own bias glasses. But JR sees it too. .  It is my biggest pet peeve with this team.  Myers especially, literally just passes the puck back to the other team multiple times a game in the D zone. But he is not alone.  There still is no solid structure or system in place, since TG took over, for them AFTER they re-take possession of the puck in our zone. In that second they have to move the puck, as the forecheckers are honing in, its like you can almost see that they are thinking  "what am I supposed to do with the puck?" as JR put it. The indecision with the puck in our zone is the cause of a lot of goals against.

I'm happy to hear from JR that this can be corrected with the proper system. That its not necessarily the players we have here.

Yes and the lack of exits doesn't always count as a goal against because of Demmer. 

It also results in a lack of goals for as you can't get out of your own zone.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

So we are trying to compete next year for the playoffs, while building for a more competitive future.  Hmmm.  Where have we heard that before?

Uhhhh....Benning. Every year. And I'm glad somebody else noticed. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seems like we might do nothing other than some minor moves around the edges.  

Sounds to me like they really want to find defencemen who are better puck movers. I'm looking at you, Myers.

And, btw, Jack Rathbone is extremely adept at moving the puck from his own zone. I really believe there is a spot for him in Vancouver next season. I don't understand all those who want to throw him in as a sweetener in any trade; wouldn't you want to see if he can make a difference in Vancouver before you trade him away?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

One veteran I think could work out on a one year deal is Paul Stastny. He's 36 but he had a pretty good year last year and could upgrade the middle tier of the forward group. Another name I'll throw out for consideration is Neal Pionk ; there aren't a lot of young RHD that could potentially be available but he could be one that is if Winnipeg decide they are willing to move him (big if). The price may be steep and making the money work would be an issue but it could be an option where there aren't a lot of options.

18 minutes ago, Muttley said:

JR on the radio just now, was similar to his one earlier.  Satiar Shah dug a little deeper on the Miller front. JR said Miller is a great player and will continue here after next year when his contract expires if the numbers make sense to both him and the team.  On Boeser and his qualifying number, there's work to be done. Not hopeless.

[Canucks Central] Jim Rutherford on the future of Bruce Boudreau, JT Miller, and the Vancouver Canucks #canucksCentral 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/139214442 

I'm thoroughly impressed with the work JR has done when it comes to tournaments, development camps, renovations, practice rink, etc.

They're focused on making us a world class organization again, just like we were during Gillis' era.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

One veteran I think could work out on a one year deal is Paul Stastny. He's 36 but he had a pretty good year last year and could upgrade the middle tier of the forward group. Another name I'll throw out for consideration is Neal Pionk ; there aren't a lot of young RHD that could potentially be available but he could be one that is if Winnipeg decide they are willing to move him (big if). The price may be steep and making the money work would be an issue but it could be an option where there aren't a lot of options.

The last time Winnipeg/ Chevy decided to move a D'man was Poolman  ::D

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Uhhhh....Benning. Every year. And I'm glad somebody else noticed. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Sounds to me like they really want to find defencemen who are better puck movers. I'm looking at you, Myers.

And, btw, Jack Rathbone is extremely adept at moving the puck from his own zone. I really believe there is a spot for him in Vancouver next season. I don't understand all those who want to throw him in as a sweetener in any trade; wouldn't you want to see if he can make a difference in Vancouver before you trade him away?

They didn't even say close to the same thing.

The main thing Allvin said was he'll try his best to not take a step back while building structure and cap space within the organization. The goal is to improve every year but the vision is always to create a contender.

They have reiterated many times that there is work to do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Sounds like Rathbone is going to get a good look next year.  Probably makes the club as they want puck movers in the back end.  Most likely paired with Dermott (as he can play on the right side).

30 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Just to post it in case others haven't watched it.

I'm stoked that JR confirms what seems obvious to me on the ice. Especially his take on exiting the puck out of the defensive zone. To hear him say: "Our exits from our defensive zone are not great...probably one of the worst in the league."  "when they're in trouble...what am I supposed to do with the puck?, ...instead of just banging it up the boards..and they keep it in the zone, and bang its in our net"  JR is preaching we have the talent, but just need the proper defensive structure.

I"ve seen this in countless games.  I try and tell myself that other teams must have the same problem exiting their zone and I just am seeing through my own bias glasses. But JR sees it too. .  It is my biggest pet peeve with this team.  Myers especially, literally just passes the puck back to the other team multiple times a game in the D zone. But he is not alone.  There still is no solid structure or system in place, since TG took over, for them AFTER they re-take possession of the puck in our zone. In that second they have to move the puck, as the forecheckers are honing in, its like you can almost see that they are thinking  "what am I supposed to do with the puck?" as JR put it. The indecision with the puck in our zone is the cause of a lot of goals against.

I'm happy to hear from JR that this can be corrected with the proper system. That its not necessarily the players we have here.

Notu sure if I heard correctly but I believe he also said that's only one example, there's many more key areas to improve but didn't want to get to into it.

Feels great to finally have competent management. Glad to see they're not using a sample size of 50 games to minimize the work and are taking an honest evaluation of what players and staff they have within the organization.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Not sure Crosby was mentioned as a “comparable” ( my words) to stars in the team.  SC was a generational superstar and 1st OA pick.  Sure hope both BB are back.  See how Bruce does coaching a full season with this team. 

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Feels great to finally have competent management.

Sure does! I'm really excited for the off season and the 2022/23 season

They aren't rushing into anything, everything seems very calculated.

Plan A seems to be try to re-sign Miller, Horvat and Boeser, and if they can't get a deal done with any of them, they'll move on to Plan B. I like that they're not willing to sacrifice the future just for the sake of doing something.  I really feel VAN will have its best chance at a Cup yet. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, aliboy said:

They have to do some work, there will be some changes, I'm looking forward to it, but with a full season with Bruce they already are a playoff team!! 

That is also a dangerous mindset to build a team with.

The sample size was only 50 games and included a new head coach bump with a lot of wins coming on the back of a superstar goalie. Things could easily go sideways again and we'd be one bad stretch away from missing the playoffs again.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Not sure Crosby was mentioned as a “comparable” ( my words) to stars in the team.  SC was a generational superstar and 1st OA pick.  Sure hope both BB are back.  See how Bruce does coaching a full season with this team. 

They were saying how your superstars need to make everyone around them better, and that is the expectation for Petey, Hughes and Demko moving forward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

They didn't even say close to the same thing.

The main thing Allvin said was he'll try his best to not take a step back while building structure and cap space within the organization. The goal is to improve every year but the vision is always to create a contender.

They have reiterated many times that there is work to do.

Ya, it is pretty ridiculous to compare them.

The proof is in the pudding though.  Benning would say he wants to get younger and patiently build through the draft… then a month later spend all his cap money on overpriced veterans and trade away all his top picks.  He voiced an entirely different plan every few months and then none of his actions would actually follow what the said.

I have hopes for the new regime doing what they say, as they are saying the right things.  If they sign Miller to a long term high dollar contract on July 1st, then that goes against their messaging.  

If they give Boudreau some better puck moving D to help with zone exits… then that fits with their messaging.  Coaches have to play systems that suit the players they have.  Our current defence just may not be capable of playing the systems JR wants.  An offseason to plan and some new horses to use, Boudreau should be able to instil some better habits.

I said it before, if you turn Miller into 1-2 great D, it is probably not going to reduce our overall offence at all.  The systems are built to shelter and help out a largely poor D corps.  You give us a high end puck moving D to put into the top 4 along side OEL and you probably add 5-10 points per forward next year as they get picks to make their plays better and more consistently.  Our D aside from Hughes didn’t provide any offence at all, folks tend to forget how important D are for driving offence… not just in producing points, but starting out transitions and getting the play going the other direction.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

This fanbase can be pretty vocal/hostile....people are pretty fed up with the dog chasing its tail and FINALLY saw something (through the record) that seemed like it was settling.

I think they understand that changes have to be made without disrupting what they do have. Big ideas are fine, big egos that don't listen to the room don't always do what's right overall...they do what they think is right.

Fooled by which record? The start of the season or the end, because there were 2 to examine.

I think what many mean by that is a record that was the result of a superstar goalie standing on his head most of the time over the 50 games.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Funny, some must've missed the part where he said they have enough good players to continue to build.  Most of the players played to the highest level.

Also: "in this league if you lose the wrong couple of players you can take a step backward" (glad they consider this in it all, something realllly relevant to the talk about ripping key players out of the core)..."but if you add the right couple of players you can take a step forward.  So I think it's fair to say adding the right couple of players that we can be a playoff team pretty quick". That, to me, doesn't say massive change...it says doing some work to add those key pieces.

You can cherry pick on both sides of this interview. But I hear talk about adding more than subtracting.

I guess time will tell.

We're a borderline playoff team right now.

We'll be a playoff team with a couple more good pieces.

We have work to do before we're a contender.

3 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Sounds like coaching the team will be left to Bruce (either pick up the option or explore other vacanies)...

Also would like to have heard more HOW they can improve this team being so close to the cap, older vets...

this is a funny place

on one hand people are happy that Franco let the management do their job

and on the other hand 

fans want to kept up to date on management's plan

isn't that like asking the chess master for a diagram of how he is going to win his next tournament?

"

Hey guys, how you gonna fix it?"

"Well we are going to try to keep Poolman's headaches under wraps until after we trade him, we are also going to be hush hush about Suttsy's long covid, then we are going to try to fleece Ottawa again and see if we can traded them Dickieboy for Batherson, if we have to we might put out a hit squad on any living player that we are stuck paying who is not still on our roster, and maybe some who are... but these are all secrets, so don't tell anyone"