The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JT Miller -- Where do you think he will end up?

Rate this topic

HKSR

What team will JT Miller be on by 2023-24? (can pick more than one)  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

So how do players get big paydays if no teams are willing to fork out the money?  How does Vegas add Pieterangelo when they're already at the cap?  Guess what, teams find a way and it happens year after year.

Honestly, it's like you're following a different league

Not with 30yo+ forwards being signed to massive deals.  Year after year for the past 10 to 15 years, it almost NEVER happens.  Defencemen?  Plenty.  Forwards.  Not so much.

And like I said, he won't get to UFA status.  He will either be traded or re-signed by the Canucks this summer.  So your argument is pointless because nobody can just offer him $9M+.  He's Canucks property.  That's how it works in this league.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well, Miller made it very clear he wants to play in Vancouver. As has Brock. But in both cases, they need to be willing to work with management to make that happen and take less than they could make on the open market. 

Let's be honest, how often does that actually happen?

If Miller takes significantly less than market value and significantly lower term, I'd be more than happy to see him back.  Boeser, on the other hand, just doesn't fit and they need to move on from him.

I believe Miller will be offered a mere $7.8 x 6 years, and he will accept.

A lot of intangibles. If his wife and kids love it here, they're staying :lol: and I believe they do, from Miller's comments. Players don't want to uproot the whole family, look for a new place to live in a strange city, get the kids into a new school, then try to gel with new team mates, etc. He could make more on the open market, but I think stability, a good team environment, having a big role with the team and playoffs, is what JT would wants.  Canucks will be in the playoffs next year.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Let's be honest, how often does that actually happen?

If Miller takes significantly less than market value and significantly lower term, I'd be more than happy to see him back.  Boeser, on the other hand, just doesn't fit and they need to move on from him.

if I had to choose between the two, I'd keep Miller for sure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not with 30yo+ forwards being signed to massive deals.  Year after year for the past 10 to 15 years, it almost NEVER happens.  Defencemen?  Plenty.  Forwards.  Not so much.

And like I said, he won't get to UFA status.  He will either be traded or re-signed by the Canucks this summer.  So your argument is pointless because nobody can just offer him $9M+.  He's Canucks property.  That's how it works in this league.

He will value himself very high and if the Canucks come in with a contract starting with a 7, his agent will hang up the phone and tell the Canucks they'll bet on JT and go to UFA

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He will value himself very high and if the Canucks come in with a contract starting with a 7, his agent will hang up the phone and tell the Canucks they'll bet on JT and go to UFA

That's nice.  Canucks will then trade him away, and he can go and bug someone else to pay him more than any other UFA forward his age has ever received since the salary cap came into effect.  It's really that simple. 

You also need to wrap your brain around the fact he and his agent couldn't give a damn what his AAV is.  They care about what his total earnings will be.

He could get $9M x 7 in UFA, but the Canucks could give him $7.875M x 8 and he'd end up with the same dollar value and 1 year of extra security.  MATH.

Edited by HKSR

So much discussion on Millers contract.  I am curious!  At what point would another teams offer make that a moot point?  As in the offer was so good that you couldn't say no regardless of whether or not JT took a bit of a discount to stay here.

I just think that it is possible that a handful of teams become so desperate to improve that a bidding war breaks out.

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Miller is staying. 

You don’t rip apart the heart and soul of the team u less you have to. Both sides will agree to a fair contract.

Well if a players 30 years old and wants at 6 year X 8.8 million Dollar contract with his previous best season 72 points you don't sign him to big contract?

I Know he had 99 points this season but previous best was 72.. Miller is a 70-76 point guy now and will decline to 55--points in 3 years

No way do Canucks want to be up against cap..Canucks are not ready for good playoff run for 2--3 years from now?

Miller trade return will really set up future nice..Good young RD man under 24, top 9 forward under 25, trading teams top prospect and 2nd round draft pick..

Have to make a trade like this.. New management group will be much different and bold.

If Millers contract demand 8.8 million X 6 years he will be traded -- I can see Canucks offering longer deal lower cap hit.. 7.2 million -- I think Miller will be traded..

21 hours ago, stawns said:

At this point, I think there'll have to be roster players and cap coming back for any miller move.........one run at a Cup isn't enough for teams to mortgage their future for.

I wouldn't be against a deal around K'Andre Miller, a prospect and a pick from NYR, or the same from Col around Girard........though I think Byram is still an intriguing deal.

This....

Think a fair few will be disappointed with the return, if he is traded... Hope I'm wrong, but think last TDL was the time to make a killing.

Still believe we will get a good player/prospect and a pick, but not the haul some folks seems to think...

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

So how do players get big paydays if no teams are willing to fork out the money?  How does Vegas add Pieterangelo when they're already at the cap?  Guess what, teams find a way and it happens year after year.

Honestly, it's like you're following a different league

Pieterangelo isn't a good example; he's a superstar RD who has a long history of

consistent superstar results.  The real head scratcher is Mark Stone

($9.5 x 8 + full NMC).  Vegas is stupid aggressive with their contracts,

but somehow manage to make 'things' work.

I do think JT will have a hard time getting a contract like Stone, as the NHL has taken

a big loss over the past 2 years with Covid.  With no salary cap increases, teams

have to be very careful with the contracts they sign.  The team that signs him, will

be the most desperate to go far in the playoffs, or a team like Boston; who wants to

make a last ditch attempt as a contender.

The Canucks will be out of the market, as it's very clear that they will not be signing

JT for anything close to Stone's contract.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Pieterangelo isn't a good example; he's a superstar RD who has a long history of

consistent superstar results.  The real head scratcher is Mark Stone

($9.5 x 8 + full NMC).  Vegas is stupid aggressive with their contracts,

but somehow manage to make 'things' work.

I do think JT will have a hard time getting a contract like Stone, as the NHL has taken

a big loss over the past 2 years with Covid.  With no salary cap increases, teams

have to be very careful with the contracts they sign.  The team that signs him, will

be the most desperate to go far in the playoffs, or a team like Boston; who wants to

make a last ditch attempt as a contender.

The Canucks will be out of the market, as it's very clear that they will not be signing

JT for anything close to Stone's contract.

There's always teams who will do everything they can and fund a way to do it.  Unless JT has some desire tomfinish his career in Canada that I'm not seeing, I don't see him not getting that big payday.  Both zibinijad and Hertl got their big paydays mid pandemic and neither is the player Miller is.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Waiting until the next TDL runs the added risk that JT’s production slides or he is injured. Obviously there is a bottom line ask that has to be offered. If the decision is to move him then the Canucks should do it if all is equal. Get the new assets into the mix sooner than later. Especially true if a RD is part of the deal. 

Yep...and there is also the possibility Canucks are going to the playoffs, in which case do you still trade him?

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yep...and there is also the possibility Canucks are going to the playoffs, in which case do you still trade him?

Imo they can't go into next season with JT and the status quo.  I think It's either extended or traded in the summer, it's just too risky otherwise

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's always teams who will do everything they can and fund a way to do it.  Unless JT has some desire tomfinish his career in Canada that I'm not seeing, I don't see him not getting that big payday.  Both zibinijad and Hertl got their big paydays mid pandemic and neither is the player Miller is.

If he can find a team that will trade off some valuable assets and give him the massive

contract you are suggesting, then good for him.  We'll see how things go. 

Regardless, I think JR has already decided on the $ and term he will offer and it

will not be enough to retain JT. 

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo they can't go into next season with JT and the status quo.  I think It's either extended or traded in the summer, it's just too risky otherwise

I agree.  If the management mess this up, it would be the worst mistake in Canuck

history.  Even worse than the Cam Neely trade (at least they got a return for him).

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If he can find a team that will trade off some valuable assets and give him the massive

contract you are suggesting, then good for him.  We'll see how things go. 

Regardless, I think JR has already decided on the $ and term he will offer and it

will not be enough to retain JT. 

I agree.  If the management mess this up, it would be the worst mistake in Canuck

history.  Even worse than the Cam Neely trade (at least they got a return for him).

They don't need to find a team who will be able to sign, just a team looking for a rental and is willing to offer an acceptable package.  They've passed the place where they will get a huge payday of young players and picks and are more likely looking at a mid 20's established player, a b prospect and maybe a 1st........the couod also retain salary to make it more palatable.  

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

They don't need to find a team who will be able to sign, just a team looking for a rental and is willing to offer an acceptable package.  They've passed the place where they will get a huge payday of young players and picks and are more likely looking at a mid 20's established player, a b prospect and maybe a 1st........the couod also retain salary to make it more palatable.  

If that's the case, this new management team has already had its first failure (and a big

one at that).

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

If that's the case, this new management team has already had its first failure (and a big

one at that).

I don't disagree there, though I do have some understanding for the desire to push for the playoffs.  However, it was pretty clear that it was going to take a miracle to get in and getting a better deal at the tdl was the best option........at least they hinted that they were considering it, which tells me they have an inkling about what needs to be done.

A package like that can still be a good deal and certainly better than letting him walk for nothing. I think they can still get a good, young(ish) top 4 dman, a good prospect and a first rounder for him.........maybe more if they retain salary.

If they let this window pass, then the next window is during the season/next tdl, but it will be an even smaller return, imo.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree there, though I do have some understanding for the desire to push for the playoffs.  However, it was pretty clear that it was going to take a miracle to get in and getting a better deal at the tdl was the best option........at least they hinted that they were considering it, which tells me they have an inkling about what needs to be done.

A package like that can still be a good deal and certainly better than letting him walk for nothing. I think they can still get a good, young(ish) top 4 dman, a good prospect and a first rounder for him.........maybe more if they retain salary.

If they let this window pass, then the next window is during the season/next tdl, but it will be an even smaller return, imo.

I'm gonna make an assumption here that you are talking about a good, young Top 4 RHD... who exactly are you thinking of?  I find there would be very, very few options to pick from.  When a team has a good, young TOP 4 RHD, they are highly unlikely to trade them away.