The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JT Miller -- Where do you think he will end up?

Rate this topic

HKSR

What team will JT Miller be on by 2023-24? (can pick more than one)  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Boston might be interested.  I heard on the radio yesterday that rumours of Bergeron retiring.  So Miller would be a instant fill in.

Edit:  Bergeron will be 37yr in July.

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 2

Just now, BPA said:

Boston might be interested.  I heard on the radio yesterday that rumours of Bergeron retiring.  So Miller would be a instant fill in.

Yes i've been i've also mentioned that a couple times.   Bergeron has said it himself a few times he's not sure what he's going to do after this season during the season and that retirement is on the table for sure.   He's also said he might need the summer to figure things out.   Thing about Boston that's been a constant - is guys don't often get massive pay days.    That might discourage Miller. 

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes i've been i've also mentioned that a couple times.   Bergeron has said it himself a few times he's not sure what he's going to do after this season during the season and that retirement is on the table for sure.   He's also said he might need the summer to figure things out.   Thing about Boston that's been a constant - is guys don't often get massive pay days.    That might discourage Miller. 

Well, they did go all in on McAvoy and Pasternak + Marchand contracts started in 17/18 when contracts were less $.

JT would be a great fit on their team and the Bears would have more than the # with Bergeron + Debrusk leaving.

Most of B's major contracts will be ending in the next 3-5yrs, so they have the flexibility to continue their playoff

vision for a good portion of JT's contract.  It really depends on how stubborn Boston is about putting off their

rebuild.

What do you think of Debrusk + Lysell?

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well, they did go all in on McAvoy and Pasternak + Marchand contracts started in 17/18 when contracts were less $.

JT would be a great fit on their team and the Bears would have more than the # with Bergeron + Debrusk leaving.

Most of B's major contracts will be ending in the next 3-5yrs, so they have the flexibility to continue their playoff

vision for a good portion of JT's contract.  It really depends on how stubborn Boston is about putting off their

rebuild.

What do you think of Debrusk + Lysell?

Something around Debrusk for cap, Lyssel, Swayman... Maybe Harrison and obviously their 1st... 

I mean I'd hope someone would outbid that as it's somewhat underwhelming (mostly no obvious "key" piece...I mean Lyssel and Swayman are decent but...), but it's not horrible either.

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Something around Debrusk for cap, Lyssel, Swayman... Maybe Harrison and obviously their 1st... 

I mean I'd hope someone would outbid that as it's somewhat underwhelming (mostly no obvious "key" piece...I mean Lyssel and Swayman are decent but...), but it's not horrible either.

In a trade I've heard that the team that ends up with the best player, wins the trade. bit and pieces are just that IMO

Just now, Fred65 said:

In a trade I've heard that the team that ends up with the best player, wins the trade. bit and pieces are just that IMO

It's not about "winning" the trade. It's about building a contending team.  Rutherford has said as much himself.

That said, while I like Lyssel and Swayman, I assume and hope we can do better personally.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's not about "winning" the trade. It's about building a contending team.  Rutherford has said as much himself.

That said, while I like Lyssel and Swayman, I assume and hope we can do better personally.

Well ..... you can't keep loosing trades and expect success ala JB we're back where we started

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah the Bruins don't even have a 1st this year, so it would be for '23.

Lyssel will be a very good top 6 player; maybe even a 1st line.

They aren't strong in the prospect department and I'm not sure about the young guys on their team.

Don't have to win a trade, just have to make a hockey trade that works for our team.  Don't know that can be

done with Boston.  Which leads back to my initial post about finding a trade partner for JT will be difficult.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah the Bruins don't even have a 1st this year, so it would be for '23.

Lyssel will be a very good top 6 player; maybe even a 1st line.

They aren't strong in the prospect department and I'm not sure about the young guys on their team.

I'd be fine with that. And who knows, that 23 pick could end up higher than expected....

Don't have to win a trade, just have to make a hockey trade that works for our team.

Exactly. It's about getting the right pieces. Not "winning the trade"

Don't know that can be

done with Boston.  Which leads back to my initial post about finding a trade partner for JT will be difficult.

I don't think it will be difficult. There's going to be more than a few teams seriously interested. The hard part is getting those "right pieces" back.

• Vintage 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:33 AM, HKSR said:

I'd be good either way...

$7.xx for 8 years with a rising cap is equivalent to $5.xx in 7 or 8 years. 

$9.xx for 5 years buys his best years and we could probably get out of it in the 5th year if we absolutely had to.

I still think it'll be a 6 year deal.  My original estimate was $9.275 x 6 ... I'm gonna stick to that and see what happens if/when he does sign lol

Yes me too (six years).   Am hoping for five though, or a trade that makes sense. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd be fine with that. And who knows, that 23 pick could end up higher than expected....

Exactly. It's about getting the right pieces. Not "winning the trade"

I don't think it will be difficult. There's going to be more than a few teams seriously interested. The hard part is getting those "right pieces" back.

It is also ok to go with the bpa and then make a trade for the right piece(s).

I still don't think it is going to be easy to trade Miller.  I haven't seen a doable trade proposal since before the TDL.

Give it a try aGent and include how the other team sheds cap and why Miller fits their team.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller for Debrusk + Lysell + Swayman + 1st 2023.

Not an exciting trade.

:mellow:

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I still don't think it is going to be easy to trade Miller.  I haven't seen a doable trade proposal since before the TDL.

Give it a try aGent and include how the other team sheds cap and why Miller fits their team.

it is hard to come up with a good trade, that has quality back for us now and in the future, and that another team can afford too. 

I'm hopeful that Millers extension with us begins with a "7" but we'll see. 

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Miller for Debrusk + Lysell + Swayman + 1st 2023.

Not an exciting trade.

:mellow:

Try putting together an exciting trade for JT.  It is very difficult to reason the salary cap, term and what is a fair trade.

I think the idea that JT is going to get Schneider, Kaako, Chytil and a 1st from the Rangers is long gone.

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Absolutely! Get the assets, get the right pieces!

I've been working like 50 hours and it's Mother's Day. Maybe another time :lol: 

But really the reason you haven't seen a "realistic" proposal, is that none of us have that level of insight (or ability to see the future). Do you know which team is going to have a disappointing early exit from the playoffs (beyond perhaps Nashville :lol:)? Which GM'S are under pressure to make a push? Who those teams might deem expendable in order to get/fit him?

Never mind that trades like this are inherently somewhat "irrational". A team selling futures, clearing cap space etc to make a push to add a guy like Miller isn't making a "rational" move. So of course you can sit there and poke "irrational" holes in it. It's not a rational move! Yet that's exactly what teams do, all the time, when they're pushing for a cup. Fence sitters don't win cups.

Try putting together an exciting trade for JT.  It is very difficult to reason the salary cap, term and what is a fair trade.

I think the idea that JT is going to get Schneider, Kaako, Chytil and a 1st from the Rangers is long gone.

I don't think getting two of Schneider/Kaako/Laf was ever realistic.

One of them plus Chytil, 1st, maybe a secondary piece like Kravstov/Barron/Robertson etc... Sure.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:25 PM, HKSR said:

If he signs an 8 year deal, one has to assume he wants to play 8 years.  If he signs for 7, he might need to move to another city in year 8.

OMG, if that contact starts after next year then with 8 years he'll be pushing 39 y.o.  That's senior citizens age and not a chance in hell that hell ever stay in league until that age.    It will turn into another Luongo contract (that we're still paying for to this day) so it will not happen - not even 7 years!   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OMG, if that contact starts after next year then with 8 years he'll be pushing 39 y.o.  That's senior citizens age and not a chance in hell that hell ever stay in league until that age.    It will turn into another Luongo contract (that we're still paying for to this day) so it will not happen - not even 7 years!   

JR already said 6 years for Miller, and the money can’t get crazy.  Sounds to me if Miller wants to stay he has to accept 

6 x 8.5.  He won’t.  So he is traded.  Miller goes and (we already know) Garland and Myers go, and we are very close to a tear it down rebuild.

I think JR has told Aquilini from Day 1 that the team is poorly constructed and it will take two years to fix.  After two years we will either be good or not.  Personally I think it’s going to take longer to fix the Benning mess.  OEL has 5 more years.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not always.  I don't think there's any doubt that Quebec won the Lindros deal.

It's debatable that if it was a one for one trade that Forsberg himself was worth it. I'd say no but it was awfully close.    For a 3 year period Lindros was pretty much unstoppable.    As big as the biggest enforcers ever, aside from maybe two lol....Boogeyman and Bic Mac... and the same hands/skills the best of any era had more or less a little bit.    Everyone remembers the Stevens hit.   Maybe even the Kasper one too.   But nobody talks about Lindros playing pinball against guys who were 6'2 or 6'3 and 220lbs ... he did it all the time.    One of his hits was so violent the guy literally flew 20 feet into the boards (watch Lindros greatest hits lol....it's something else especially given the era he played in,  almost all the D's were big dudes)....didn't dominate the same way he did in juniors but still was a special generational talent.     

Edit: Agreed ... that cost was a little too high.  IF PHI kept even 2 of those good supporting players, they'd have won a cup.   And no way COL wins their first one at least.  Probably no way they win any really.   Those picks and those players kept them neck and neck with Detroit in the West.    Well shouldn't say no way.   IF Lindros knew Quebec was moving to COL maybe he'd have sucked it up for a little while ... although maybe that also would have been enough for Quebec to also keep their franchise as well.    They knew that marketing power was something they desperately needed with salary disclosure and US dollars (rising fast) a commonality in payment.    Definitely a deal that impacted the league a ton.   Not as much as Gretzky going to LA aside from that deal probably the next biggest.    The entire 90's and early 2000's were affected by that deal.     Would be like Crosby holding out. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1