The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat nominated for King Clancy Memorial Trophy

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

They will still drill down to three finalists.

As you may recall, I have a personal pet peeve with the NHL calling them "finalists".  There is only one vote.  There are no finals to be finalists of.  They are just the top three vote getters.  It would be more accurate if they announced, "One of these three players is the Vintage trophy winner", rather than "these are the finalists".

Edited by goalie13

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

This approach is so much better than the other awards.  I love how there is a nominee from every team.

Yes i think that Schenn should get his nomination for the Art Ross.   Sarcasm aside, the best players that exemplify what an award is - not matter what - should be getting their due.   All-star games lost me once every team had to be represented.   Well actually lost me before that with their strange formats a couple times.   The West Facing the East is the best way to do it.   And it should be 3 periods of regular hockey without any weirdness added.   Participation ribbons in pro sports, don't belong. 

Edit:  The King Clancy and Masterson ... that's enough.   Some teams have better candidates for both on their own teams.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes i think that Schenn should get his nomination for the Art Ross.   Sarcasm aside, the best players that exemplify what an award is - not matter what - should be getting their due.   All-star games lost me once every team had to be represented.   Well actually lost me before that with their strange formats a couple times.   The West Facing the East is the best way to do it.   And it should be 3 periods of regular hockey without any weirdness added.   Participation ribbons in pro sports, don't belong. 

Edit:  The King Clancy and Masterson ... that's enough.   Some teams have better candidates for both on their own teams.  

A nomination from every team would be okay I suppose but I would still want a top three finalists.  Especially with the size of the league, at the end of their careers being a Hart or Norris or Vezina finalist winds up being the crowning individual achievement for some very good players, Hall of Famers included.

I was down with the All Star Game right up until the North America versus the world stuff.  And it's just been downhill from there.

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

A nomination from every team would be okay I suppose but I would still want a top three finalists.  Especially with the size of the league, at the end of their careers being a Hart or Norris or Vezina finalist winds up being the crowning individual achievement for some very good players, Hall of Famers included.

I was down with the All Star Game right up until the North America versus the world stuff.  And it's just been downhill from there.

That was the exact same time i started to lose  a lot of interest.  Lost most of what was left once every team has to be represented.   Now it's a little more like a circus then a best on best hockey game ...Having to toil through the 80's with 10 or so Oilers (and deservedly so) going to the all-star game wasn't much fun.   John Scott getting in made me really happy though lol... Bettman ate some crap for that.   Maybe it's just growing up with what your used too - but think the All-Star game lost some soul - and is closer to WWE then actual hockey.   I might lose interest in the history of the  sport if every team gets a Norris nomination.    I suppose it depends if they also get a vote as well.     But what would you do with teams  like Detroit in the 2000's that had two finalists?   Or NSH that split votes for awhile .., or even SJ with Vlasic and Burns not too long ago.   A rebuilding team shouldn't  get someone in just because either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 2