Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] What the heck? No way! He's traded?!


Recommended Posts

Highly unlikely, but I was poking around other team's rosters to see if hypothetically there could be a fit for Mr. OEL somewhere.

 

I came up with this:

 

To NYI:

OEL

Hoglander

 

To VAN:

Mayfield

 

Islanders have these guys locked up long term:

Anders Lee (31yo): $7M until 2025-26

Brock Nelson (30yo):  $6M until 2024-25

Kyle Palmieri (31yo):  $5M until 2024-25

JG Pageau (29yo):  $5M until 2025-26

Casey Cizikas (31yo):  $2.5M until 2026-27

Ross Johnston (28yo):  $1.1M until 2025-26

Adam Pelech (27yo):  $5.75M until 2028-29

Ryan Pulock (27yo):  $6.15M until 2029-30

 

Folks... the Islanders are in this for the long haul. 

 

OEL (30yo):  $7.26M until 2026-27

 

NYI will have a LHD group of Pelech and Aho going into this offseason.  They need a solid Top 4 LHD.  OEL fits their age group and time frame really well.  NYI's best defenceman prospect is also Bode Wilde... another RHD.  They clearly need more LHD in their system than RHD.

The cost to them here is a pending UFA in Mayfield. 

 

Canucks could get first crack at extending him.  The cost for unloading OEL and gaining a capable RHD in Mayfield?  Hoglander.

 

Edited by HKSR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

not sure what Hog's trade value is right now, given his season ending surgery? but lets say thats not an issue. It would be a very reasonable price to pay to move the 1.5 mil OEL is probably over valued at. I suspect NYI would want some kind of pick here as well. 

 

OEL could be a great partner for Dobson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JM_ said:

not sure what Hog's trade value is right now, given his season ending surgery? but lets say thats not an issue. It would be a very reasonable price to pay to move the 1.5 mil OEL is probably over valued at. I suspect NYI would want some kind of pick here as well. 

 

OEL could be a great partner for Dobson. 

I'd be ok with adding a pick as well.  It would immediately help us transform the D group. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd be ok with adding a pick as well.  It would immediately help us transform the D group. 

who replaces him tho if we keep Myers? I guess we can dip into the free agent market, or if we're also moving Boeser, e.g. its easier to find left d. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Highly unlikely, but I was poking around other team's rosters to see if hypothetically there could be a fit for Mr. OEL somewhere.

 

I came up with this:

 

To NYI:

OEL

Hoglander

 

To VAN:

Mayfield

 

Islanders have these guys locked up long term:

Anders Lee (31yo): $7M until 2025-26

Brock Nelson (30yo):  $6M until 2024-25

Kyle Palmieri (31yo):  $5M until 2024-25

JG Pageau (29yo):  $5M until 2025-26

Casey Cizikas (31yo):  $2.5M until 2026-27

Ross Johnston (28yo):  $1.1M until 2025-26

Adam Pelech (27yo):  $5.75M until 2028-29

Ryan Pulock (27yo):  $6.15M until 2029-30

 

Folks... the Islanders are in this for the long haul. 

 

OEL (30yo):  $7.26M until 2026-27

 

NYI will have a LHD group of Pelech and Aho going into this offseason.  They need a solid Top 4 LHD.  OEL fits their age group and time frame really well.  NYI's best defenceman prospect is also Bode Wilde... another RHD.  They clearly need more LHD in their system than RHD.

The cost to them here is a pending UFA in Mayfield. 

 

Canucks could get first crack at extending him.  The cost for unloading OEL and gaining a capable RHD in Mayfield?  Hoglander.

 

I mean.. this probably makes sense for NYI, but OEL only wants Boston or Vancouver.

I still think we have yet to see the best OEL can give us. Put him with a shutdown partner, and we'll be happy to have him. 

  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, eeeeergh said:

I mean.. this probably makes sense for NYI, but OEL only wants Boston or Vancouver.

I still think we have yet to see the best OEL can give us. Put him with a shutdown partner, and we'll be happy to have him. 

I'd rather move Myers tbh. 

  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder if they'd want to dump Hickey or Panik on us on top of trading us Mayfield, or they'd otherwise have to move salary that's actually on their roster to make it work.

Trading for OEL and Hoglander while only moving Mayfield leaves them with around $6 million in cap space, when Dobson's a pending RFA and probably their #1 D-man (he finished 3rd overall in points for them).  Even if they get min. salary guys for the #5 to #7 spots, their cap space might be a bit too tight.  OP I see your rationale but just not sure it's feasible financially.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Wonder if they'd want to dump Hickey or Panik on us on top of trading us Mayfield, or they'd otherwise have to move salary that's actually on their roster to make it work.

Trading for OEL and Hoglander while only moving Mayfield leaves them with around $6 million in cap space, when Dobson's a pending RFA and probably their #1 D-man (he finished 3rd overall in points for them).  Even if they get min. salary guys for the #5 to #7 spots, their cap space might be a bit too tight.  OP I see your rationale but just not sure it's feasible financially.  

Even though OEL has been good on this team, I like the trade idea.

 

We could take a small amount of salary back (not Hickey as he is UFA next season) but maybe Panik (as you say, who is in AHL) or even Martin (another 2 years at $1.5m, as a cheapish enforcer). I think NYI will also end up trading Varlamov and getting a cheaper backup, which should save them at least $3m too.

 

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

who replaces him tho if we keep Myers? I guess we can dip into the free agent market, or if we're also moving Boeser, e.g. its easier to find left d. 

If we trade OEL, I would offer sheet Nic Hague from VGK for $4m x 4 years. Would cost us our 2023 2nd round pick.

 

He's 23 years old, 6'6", 221 lbs. Vegas likely couldn't afford to match it.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'd rather move Myers tbh. 

It makes more sense.    OEL is Edlers replacement basically.    Also when QHs was out we saw that he can slip right in and get his PP points...the last year of his deal probably won't look great.    Myers is a tough one too.   We've only got him for two more seasons.    To me that's a timeline that can't be ignored or we will be back to Stetcher/Del Zotto types on the right side.   Keeping Myers and re-signing him as an aging vet at half the cap hit is an option i'd be fine with too.   Players like him.   Seems like a good teammate.   On the third pairing he'd likely far surpass whatever else is out there ... it's just whom do we have or who can we get that bumps him down in two years?

Edited by IBatch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we want to be careful about getting rid of guys who are capable of putting up points on the back end. We can't rely on Hughes do to it all, and Myers is incredibly hit an miss as to his ability to contribute. (I mean, Schenn of all guys performed better offtensively this season). Mayfield is more of a defensive player (which we need) but in this scenario, we'd basically have to see Rathbone step up into a permanent and productive role, and I'm not sure that's a reasonable expectation.

Additionally, I feel like we'd be selling low on Hoglander who I believe will be in this league for many years. Besides that, it reduces our forward depth which, IF we moved Miller, would already be struggling to keep up offensively.

Not saying this is a crappy trade, but it requires more moving parts to make sense for us imo. I do, of course, like freeing up cap but as mentioned by another user, moving Myers at 6m seems like a lot more more productive of a move for us than moving an extra million but losing what OEL does bring to this team.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Even though OEL has been good on this team, I like the trade idea.

 

We could take a small amount of salary back (not Hickey as he is UFA next season) but maybe Panik (as you say, who is in AHL) or even Martin (another 2 years at $1.5m, as a cheapish enforcer). I think NYI will also end up trading Varlamov and getting a cheaper backup, which should save them at least $3m too.

 

If we trade OEL, I would offer sheet Nic Hague from VGK for $4m x 4 years. Would cost us our 2023 2nd round pick.

 

He's 23 years old, 6'6", 221 lbs. Vegas likely couldn't afford to match it.

I'm all for that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

It makes more sense.    OEL is Edlers replacement basically.    Also when QHs was out we saw that he can slip right in and get his PP points...the last year of his deal probably won't look great.    Myers is a tough one too.   We've only got him for two more seasons.    To me that's a timeline that can't be ignored or we will be back to Stetcher/Del Zotto types on the right side.   Keeping Myers and re-signing him as an aging vet at half the cap hit is an option i'd be fine with too.   Players like him.   Seems like a good teammate.   On the third pairing he'd likely far surpass whatever else is out there ... it's just whom do we have or who can we get that bumps him down in two years?

no one really. Whoever we draft this year if we're really really fortunate? 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no one really. Whoever we draft this year if we're really really fortunate? 

Yes ... or we need to consider moving some pieces on the board and hope for a Quin like lopsided trade that works. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Even though OEL has been good on this team, I like the trade idea.

 

We could take a small amount of salary back (not Hickey as he is UFA next season) but maybe Panik (as you say, who is in AHL) or even Martin (another 2 years at $1.5m, as a cheapish enforcer). I think NYI will also end up trading Varlamov and getting a cheaper backup, which should save them at least $3m too.

 

If we trade OEL, I would offer sheet Nic Hague from VGK for $4m x 4 years. Would cost us our 2023 2nd round pick.

 

He's 23 years old, 6'6", 221 lbs. Vegas likely couldn't afford to match it.

Rather than make enemies via offer sheet, I'd just approach VGK and say we'll take Dadonov (1 year left before UFA) and Hague for Ferland (LTIR) and Poolman (cap dump).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Rather than make enemies via offer sheet, I'd just approach VGK and say we'll take Dadonov (1 year left before UFA) and Hague for Ferland (LTIR) and Poolman (cap dump).

thats kind of a neat idea. I wonder if we're on Dadonov's NT list?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats kind of a neat idea. I wonder if we're on Dadonov's NT list?

It's not a huge list, I think it's only 10 teams?  I'm sure if we said he's playing Top 6 next to Miller or Petey, he'd be pretty happy about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Rather than make enemies via offer sheet, I'd just approach VGK and say we'll take Dadonov (1 year left before UFA) and Hague for Ferland (LTIR) and Poolman (cap dump).

two things....I don't think VGK go for that and we are already their enemy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently lou lamoriello mentioned the other day that they want to improve their defence from an offensive standpoint.

 

I'm telling ya... there's a chance here to move OEL to the Isles.  He fits perfectly into their age group and for the right time frame too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, HKSR said:

Highly unlikely, but I was poking around other team's rosters to see if hypothetically there could be a fit for Mr. OEL somewhere.

 

I came up with this:

 

To NYI:

OEL

Hoglander

 

To VAN:

Mayfield

 

Islanders have these guys locked up long term:

Anders Lee (31yo): $7M until 2025-26

Brock Nelson (30yo):  $6M until 2024-25

Kyle Palmieri (31yo):  $5M until 2024-25

JG Pageau (29yo):  $5M until 2025-26

Casey Cizikas (31yo):  $2.5M until 2026-27

Ross Johnston (28yo):  $1.1M until 2025-26

Adam Pelech (27yo):  $5.75M until 2028-29

Ryan Pulock (27yo):  $6.15M until 2029-30

 

Folks... the Islanders are in this for the long haul. 

 

OEL (30yo):  $7.26M until 2026-27

 

NYI will have a LHD group of Pelech and Aho going into this offseason.  They need a solid Top 4 LHD.  OEL fits their age group and time frame really well.  NYI's best defenceman prospect is also Bode Wilde... another RHD.  They clearly need more LHD in their system than RHD.

The cost to them here is a pending UFA in Mayfield. 

 

Canucks could get first crack at extending him.  The cost for unloading OEL and gaining a capable RHD in Mayfield?  Hoglander.

 

Without having the rest of the posts...

 

Another cap consideration would be Chara (or Aho, or both) likely not being re-signed for next season. This would be the side where Ekman-Larsson would play, and it frees up $750,000 which could be deducted from Ekman-Larsson's cost (down to $6,510,000). A "reasonable" cap retention ($1 million?) could also help with the move, and could possibly even get an additional return from the Islanders.

 

I'd also assume that the Islanders wouldn't be that interested in Hoglander if they were concerned about future cap problems.

 

                                                             regards,  G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...