The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wouldn't do it it, but it's nice to see something a bit more reasonable.

I'd absolutely do it, I'd replace Garland for Boeser as I believe Hoglander/Garland are interchangeable players for how they play and size meaning Boeser would have the more appealing value  as opposed to giving what is essentially 2 of the same asset to a team with already small forward players

On 5/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, Franz Liszt said:

Garland, Hoglander, 15th OA

For

2nd OA?

I really want Slafkofský

I'm not sure we need to include Hoglander in this.  Garland and 15OA should be enough, maybe add another lesser piece than Hoglander.

27 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'm not sure we need to include Hoglander in this.  Garland and 15OA should be enough, maybe add another lesser piece than Hoglander.

Feels like quite a few other teams could beat that package if it were that easy to get 2nd overall.  Fitzgerald openly said his 5th overall was in play but after winning the lottery he refused to confirm if the pick would still be available.

Boudreau calls Garland a 3rd liner and another GM thinks he's overpaid.  No team was willing to offer a 1st round pick for him at the TDL per Satiar Shah.  NJD also identified size as a need.   Wouldn't expect them to move that pick.  

Reading the replies in this thread, I've come to 1 conclusion:  A number of you seriously undervalue that 2nd OA pick.

Just reverse the situation. 

If the Canucks had 2OA, what would it take for you to unload it to another team?

Personally:

If it meant dropping from #2 down to #15, I'd want #15, a solid top 6 forward and a solid top 4 defenceman

OR #15 and a top 3 forward or top 2 defenceman.

OR #15 and a top tier prospect already playing solid in the NHL

If it meant #2 for a single player, that player would have to be a #1C or #1D, either of which are close to their prime (not in the middle of it). 

So from NJD standpoint?  My ask from Vancouver would be:  #15OA + Podkolzin or #15OA + Miller.

Canucks simply don't have a quality Top 4 defenceman to trade, and their top 6 forwards are not what NJD would really want. 

The other option would be #2OA for Demko or Hughes or Petey.  A non-starter for Vancouver.

So in other words, stop dreaming people lmao.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Feels like quite a few other teams could beat that package if it were that easy to get 2nd overall.  Fitzgerald openly said his 5th overall was in play but after winning the lottery he refused to confirm if the pick would still be available.

Boudreau calls Garland a 3rd liner and another GM thinks he's overpaid.  No team was willing to offer a 1st round pick for him at the TDL per Satiar Shah.  NJD also identified size as a need.   Wouldn't expect them to move that pick.  

I see you repeating this EVERYWHERE, but the facts are Garland finished with 52 points this past season.  Good for 105th in scoring among all NHL forwards.

By definition, TOP 6 forward would mean there are theoretically 192 of them in the NHL (6 x 32 teams... some teams may have more, some less, so I'd say it averages out).  The fact Garland is 105th and not 189th tells most of us that he's a capable top 6 forward in this league. 

Taking it a step further, he was 51st in the entire NHL for Even Strength Points among all forwards. 

Maybe... just MAYBE a coach says stuff like that to motivate a player... pretty sure coach BB knows what his players can handle in terms of criticism:

“It doesn’t bother me at all,” said Garland. “It’s Bruce’s job to win games, so when you do something as a player that hinders that, it’s very fair for him to come out and say that, so it doesn’t bother me one bit. That’s his job.”

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Reading the replies in this thread, I've come to 1 conclusion:  A number of you seriously undervalue that 2nd OA pick.

If the Canucks had 2OA, what would it take for you to unload it to another team?

Personally:

If it meant dropping from #2 down to #15, I'd want #15, a solid top 6 forward and a solid top 4 defenceman

If it meant #2 for a single player, that player would have to be a #1C or #1D, either of which are close to their prime (not in the middle of it). 

So from NJD standpoint?  My ask from Vancouver would be:  #15OA + Podkolzin or #15OA + Miller.

Canucks simply don't have a quality Top 4 defenceman to trade, and their top 6 forwards are not what NJD would really want. 

The other option would be #2OA for Demko or Hughes or Petey.  A non-starter for Vancouver.

Any top 3 pick at the draft is gold, and picks are never worth more than at the draft. 

Minnesota for one could beat any package we could offer up because it's likely they'll have to move on from Fiala. Fiala, their 1st, and our 2nd likely beats out any package we're willing to offer up. And that's with Fiala being almost 26 and having just put up 33 goals and 52 assists. 

Acquiring a top 3 pick costs a premium price, which is why they're almost never moved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't know about the 2nd overall, maybe they move it.  I do see the Devils as a good trading partner.  They might consider a lot of value in some steady veteran presence,  Guys like Miller, Garland, and Myers.

Would they want to trade a younger players not yet in their prime to get their roster balanced out a little bit with some older players to help lead them?  That definitely seems possible.

I suspect 2023 1st round picks are bigger currency.  Yes there is the Bedard factor, but the chance of a traded pick turning into him are pretty slight.

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I see you repeating this EVERYWHERE, but the facts are Garland finished with 52 points this past season.  Good for 105th in scoring among all NHL forwards.

By definition, TOP 6 forward would mean there are theoretically 192 of them in the NHL (6 x 32 teams... some teams may have more, some less, so I'd say it averages out).  The fact Garland is 105th and not 189th tells most of us that he's a capable top 6 forward in this league. 

Taking it a step further, he was 51st in the entire NHL for Even Strength Points among all forwards. 

Maybe... just MAYBE a coach says stuff like that to motivate a player... pretty sure coach BB knows what his players can handle in terms of criticism:

“It doesn’t bother me at all,” said Garland. “It’s Bruce’s job to win games, so when you do something as a player that hinders that, it’s very fair for him to come out and say that, so it doesn’t bother me one bit. That’s his job.”

He was talking about Pettersson's star potential.  Was ahead of the Toronto game where he pointed out that Matthews played with Marner, while Pettersson was playing with 3rd liners like Garland and how he makes them better.

Not sure Garland would be a top-6 on a contending team.  Some players are buried on deeper teams while on shallow teams some guys get more opportunities than they otherwise would on better rosters.

• Sad 1

Just now, mll said:

He was talking about Pettersson's star potential.  Was ahead of the Toronto game where he pointed out that Matthews played with Marner, while Pettersson was playing with 3rd liners like Garland and how he makes them better.

Not sure Garland would be a top-6 on a contending team.  Some players are buried on deeper teams while on shallow teams some guys get more opportunities than they otherwise would on better rosters.

Wouldn't put it past coach BB to use the opportunity to light a fire under his guys. 

Again, the fact is Garland still put up 52 points without any serious PP time and averaging around 16min a game of TOI. 

He's a clear top 6 forward.  If a contender doesn't have him in the Top 6, it's because they are a contender and have the luxury of probably 7 or 8 top 6 guys.  Doesn't make Garland any less of one.

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Wouldn't put it past coach BB to use the opportunity to light a fire under his guys. 

Again, the fact is Garland still put up 52 points without any serious PP time and averaging around 16min a game of TOI. 

He's a clear top 6 forward.  If a contender doesn't have him in the Top 6, it's because they are a contender and have the luxury of probably 7 or 8 top 6 guys.  Doesn't make Garland any less of one.

He wasn't talking to the guys - doubt they even heard that interview.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He wasn't talking to the guys - doubt they even heard that interview.

Garland did just have his breakout year.  Prior to this year, and maybe last year, he could have been considered a 3rd liner.... but I wouldn't call him one anymore if he's putting up nearly 20 goals and 50+ points per season.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Not sure what would get done there

You're trading magic for more powerful magic, only thing you lose is mana points but there's potions for that.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, HKSR said:

Personally:

Right? People here are acting like Garland, Hoglander + 15th OA would be too much:lol:

• Haha 1

Devils GM has confirmed as per Freidman that they WILL be considering moving the 2nd overall pick still and has indicated it will be for a player specific as they will be drafting a list of players they feel are worth it.

Rumoured names to be on the list apparently include:  Chyrchun, Fiala, Laine, Tkachuk and...Miller

Well well well.....

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Devils GM has confirmed as per Freidman that they WILL be considering moving the 2nd overall pick still and has indicated it will be for a player specific as they will be drafting a list of players they feel are worth it.

Rumoured names to be on the list apparently include:  Chyrchun, Fiala, Laine, Tkachuk and...Miller

Well well well.....

I'd be interested, but I question what they'd want on top of Miller because we'd almost certainly have to add

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well well well.....

I highly doubt we will get 2nd overall. It would help our franchise so much and that just doesn't happen lol. But man if we got slafkovsky at 2 and then moved up to get Geekie our forward core would be set for years. 

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I highly doubt we will get 2nd overall. It would help our franchise so much and that just doesn't happen lol. But man if we got slafkovsky at 2 and then moved up to get Geekie our forward core would be set for years. 

Hughes for 2OA + Bahl + + + +

Jersey would pay through the roof to get the three Hughes’ boys together.  They could actually compete with the Rags in that market then.  

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be interested, but I question what they'd want on top of Miller because we'd almost certainly have to add

9 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

1-1 Tkachuk/Laine/Chychrun/Fiala all might have better or more value.  I'd say Chycrhun with his contract being the top of that list

But it's interesting to know that he might be on that list.  If I am JR and the rumour is real that his name might be on a soft list i'd be knocking that door down like a mormon on your saturday morning at 6 am 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1