The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire 5 amateur scouts

Rate this topic

Not surprised to see Brandon Benning let go, for obvious reasons related to his last name.

More surprised with Conacher and Lenardon, who are both very experienced. Conacher (former GM in Utica) is almost overqualified. However, they were IIRC part of the Western Canada regional scouting, which is an area where the team has been perceived as underperforming.

Derek Richard, I have no idea what he does. I saw one article where he talks a lot about scouting for “body language,” which reads (rather comically) like a scene from Moneyball. 

(EDIT: Richard was a crossover scout for the Canucks)

That all said, Drance follows up his tweet saying this isn’t performance based:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He’s the son of Jim Benning.

Ouch... imagine seeing your dad fired from his job, then losing your own job from the same organization....

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He’s the son of Jim Benning.

Yes, and he was unfortunately the same son who was viciously attacked at Yaletown last summer.

• Sad 4
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yes, and he was unfortunately the same son who was viciously attacked at Yaletown last summer.

I believe it was reported that younger brother Nicholas Benning was the one assaulted.

Brandon Benning (the scout who just got fired) is the older of Jim Benning’s two sons.

Jim Benning also has two daughters, Danica and Isabella.

• Like 1

It's about damn time!!!! Whoever recommended Juolevi to JB lol...... 

but seriously... we haven't had much luck with draft picks that could turn out to be useful players other than the obvious core players now.... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

They are making room to poach Janecyk and Fargher from the Sens and Kitamura and Armstrong from the Lightning...with an open job offer to Al Murray as head of scouting

Actually or is this your wish list?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Firing without cause would likely result in a lawsuit, and ultimately tarnish the brand.  His family ties to the former GM is not a good enough reason to fire him if they can't identify a suitable "just cause" as an excuse.  JR is savvy enough to protect the brand.

Depends on how his contract is set up. They can get rid of him, and it is called constructive dismissal. The org will have to pay out whatever was negotiated in the employment agreement, but there will be no lawsuit unless the org tries to renege on the agreement.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Actually or is this your wish list?

Wish list.  

Look at the records of amateur and post 1st round drafting of Ottawa and Tampa outside of the first round over the last 15 years for ottawa and 10 years for tampa.

I want them scouts for a reason

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2