The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire 5 amateur scouts

Rate this topic

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Probably end of the season.  I would think they have to ask permission to talk to staff on other teams.  Some teams might not want to allow their scouts to change organisation with the draft around the corner. 

And with that in mind perhaps CG has a firm grasp on the scouts available.  

52 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

she definitely has a “process” she wants the staff to adhere to.  

Im curious about the new hires and the pool they are selected from.  Can scouts already with NHL teams be hires by VAN? There sure are a lot of positions to fill.

She also has her hubby who knows his stuff. I'd like to be a fly on the wall listening to them talk hockey and players.

• Cheers 1

Delarome needs to go he’s terrible. 
he’s part of the problem the decades of drafting with delarome weren’t good going back to Burke. 
he was the head scout when Gillis was gm and long before how was our drafting back then Again. 
Drafting improved when bracket was promoted it wasn’t a coincidence. 
hope delarome gets show the well deserved door. 

Curious what made jims son qualified to be a scout other than daddy. 

32 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Interesting timing for this change... Hopefully it doesn't negatively affect our 2022 draft. 

they must have a pretty firmed up list if they made this move now. 

24 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Usually most reports scouts make on players is accessible to NHL brass.  If Delorme is pointing out Jagr is superior to Nedved but the GM goes over his suggestion and take Nedved than Delorme can bring this up when the new boss comes in.  This is why some scouts get fired while others get promoted.

Delorme was instrumental in vouching for Petey apparently. 

This I did hear, which is big plus for him.

In between Petey and Jagr, I don't recall him having much success targeting prospects for us. Was it always just him being ignored by the GM and taking the Nedved?

1 hour ago, awalk said:

This I did hear, which is big plus for him.

In between Petey and Jagr, I don't recall him having much success targeting prospects for us. Was it always just him being ignored by the GM and taking the Nedved?

Huh?   Nedved was actually one Quins/scouting staff - best hits.  Jagr informed every single GM that reached out that they'd be wasting their pick and he wouldn't show up - except PIT - because he wanted to play with Mario.  People also forget perspective.   Nedved wasn't a "consolation" prize - he was a legit big promising Center.   Took him a couple years to gain some traction then he pulled some major crap.   Salary disclosure also had a little to do with that.   38 goals - the sky the limit etc etc .., he was really awesome for us that year.   One line can't do it all - we had two great lines   History kind of justified the trade but back then it took a cup final appearance for fans to forget about Nedved.  

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, combover said:

Delarome needs to go he’s terrible. 
he’s part of the problem the decades of drafting with delarome weren’t good going back to Burke. 
he was the head scout when Gillis was gm and long before how was our drafting back then Again. 
Drafting improved when bracket was promoted it wasn’t a coincidence. 
hope delarome gets show the well deserved door. 

Curious what made jims son qualified to be a scout other than daddy. 

Burke was a decent drafter.  Nonis had one of the best drafts ever and some duds.   Mike Gillis should have managed at least two roster players outside of Horvat and Coho given he only traded one first.    That was pretty dreadful. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Probably end of the season.  I would think they have to ask permission to talk to staff on other teams.  Some teams might not want to allow their scouts to change organisation with the draft around the corner. 

Ya'd think any and all scouting info should belong as intellectual property of the Org which paid for its discovery.

Cant see any Org wanting that leaked to rivals before the draft.

Not sure it matters with the Canucks fired staff.  As they were let go for lifetime incompetence, their notes are worthless.

Mebbe JR's intelligence division has sent them packing with false papers, hoping they'll be hired within our division.

Still not sure of the rules which prevent an amateur scout from working for whoever he pleases, at anytime.

If he's amateur then by definition he's not getting paid.

I would guess the financial incentive to actually go out and watch players is a commission when one of your 'finds' offered

a pro contract.  Canucks' scouts must have already been living for quite a while on streets, under cardboard boxes.

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Did you read what you linked? 

Says right there that he worked for Calgary. 

Guess who was AGM of the flames during that time that hired him as the scout? That worked with Jim as a scout in Boston?

John Weisbrod AGM of the Flames. (June 2011-Dec 2013)

Brandon Benning as a Flames Scout (Nov 2011 - Aug 2014)

Did not even last a year after Weisbrod was fired by the Flames.

John Weisbrod then becomes our AGM, and he hired Brandon again.

The Flames drafting under that regime (flubbing 2 of 3 first round picks in 2013!)

image.thumb.png.0097eb9ad46df0268219fe26084dbcc8.png

Prior experience before the Flames as per his linkedin, an office assistant. Combined with a non-existant hockey playing history (at least JB had that background).

Color me skeptical that he was qualified..

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just saw the update. Was Ted Hampson actually fired? Or is he just retiring? The guy is 85 years old. Former scouting director for the Blues and about 40 years experience as a scout (last 10 with the Canucks). I hope they didn’t outright fire him. Seems like the type you keep around as long as he’s capable and actually wants to do the job, if only just for the lifetime of knowledge and wisdom he can offer.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Guess who was AGM of the flames during that time that hired him as the scout? That worked with Jim as a scout in Boston?

John Weisbrod AGM of the Flames. (June 2011-Dec 2013)

Brandon Benning as a Flames Scout (Nov 2011 - Aug 2014)

Did not even last a year after Weisbrod was fired by the Flames.

John Weisbrod then becomes our AGM, and he hired Brandon again.

The Flames drafting under that regime (flubbing 2 of 3 first round picks in 2013!)

image.thumb.png.0097eb9ad46df0268219fe26084dbcc8.png

Prior experience before the Flames as per his linkedin, an office assistant. Combined with a non-existant hockey playing history (at least JB had that background).

Color me skeptical that he was qualified..

Quick do JR next lol