The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] You're RJ & Co: Who do you let walk from Abbotsford, who would you re-sign?

Who do you bring back for the Abbotsford Canucks?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I chose everyone - I think these guys had a great first season in Abbotsford. I like that a lot of players have been in the system for a while and a # of BCers have been recruited for a local feel. I was almost neutral on Mikey D coming back, but he'll still be waiver exempt next season for the Canucks, which is a nice cap tool to have. The first round sweep was unfortunate but I think another year together, Klimovich being a year more mature, and a couple new signings incl. Linus Karlsson, joining the club they deserve another run.

I think Di Giuseppe should come up to play; given his career averages his scoring's not that bad (0.3 points/ game) and he's bigger than Motte.  Now I didn't watch him much in Abby but is his defense not NHL-level?  If his two way game is solid enough I think he should at least get his cup of coffee.

Juulsen and Bowey looked solid enough in their stints, but it depends if management wants to retain them ahead of Burroughs (who reasonably should be sent down once the RD is sorted out).  If there's a shutdown partner that they want for Rathbone (depending on whether he earns the 3rd LD spot next season) they should give that guy big minutes in Abby, while giving a warm body vet who can play in a pinch the #7 spot on the big club.  Burroughs is good but the oldest of the 3, so maybe he sticks with the NHL, while they see if Juulsen (only 25) can still develop into something?

• Like 1

I'd bring back the best 10-12 and leave space for new guys (and rookies) who are either Europeans or graduating juniors. I'm thinking Arshdeep Bains, Linus Karlsson, Chase Wouters (good penalty killer), Carson Focht and maybe Joni Jurmo, plus any other free agents they manage to sign. They have to balance the need to be a top AHL team and the need to be a developmental place for their prospects to learn what it takes to become a professional. Abbotsford clearly has the luxury of being an hour from the big club, so can make use of coaching, training, conditioning and medical staff. So, as I say, bring back your best 10-12 and inject six or seven young guys into the mix. Either way, the AHL is a really high calibre league and I will definitely book a bigger ticket package next season.

I think that there are 4 groups of players on the Abbotsford Canucks:

1.  Young Prospects with little chance of call up

• Klimovich
  • Plasek
  • Focht
  • Bains
  • Woo
  • Silovs

2.  Prospects with a chance of call up

• Lockwood
  • Rathbone
  • DiPietro

3.  Replacement level veterans with a chance of call up (no longer on ELC)

• DiGuissepe
  • Dowling
  • Petan
  • Dries
  • Juulson
  • Briesbois
  • Bowey

4.  Career AHL players with no chance of call up

• Stevens
  • Rempal
  • Sautner
  • Stephens

I think that players who have moved to group 4 can be dropped from the line up as they become UFA's.  Other UFA's should be considered if they are not likely to be called up.  It is important to have players with leadership qualities retained to help the younger players develop so nothing is automatic.  Players who are never making the NHL may want opportunity to play in Europe in various leagues.

• Like 1

I think given management's end of year comments and how they approached free agency last year, if any of these players are let go they'll be replaced with similar calibre AHL players to keep the roster competitive again. So I don't particularly want anybody out the door as I think for many, whether they return or not, someone will be there to fill that role. For example, someone like Justin Bailey I think has shown that he doesn't really have what it takes to cut it at the NHL level, but if you bring him back to play in a top six spot for Abby there's nothing wrong with that at all. Petan's another guy that I was rooting for to succeed here but didn't impress despite getting a chunk of NHL games; again though, if he wants to stay local and help lead the AHL offense why not.

I'd like to see the Sheldons back though, particularly Dries as he filled in well for the big club down the stretch and was probably the best non-prospect call up we had all year. I like him as an option for spot duty next season too. Wouldn't mind seeing Chase Wouters get offered an ELC given that he showed promise in a bottom six role and stood out among some of the other younger players there. Di Giuseppe probably deserves another look, the timing of his injury cost him a chance at getting called up near the end of the season. And most of all, would definitely like to see fan favourite Yushiroh Hirano get a full-time AHL deal, been following his career for a while now and it was really nice to see him carve out a role for himself during his time here.

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I think given management's end of year comments and how they approached free agency last year, if any of these players are let go they'll be replaced with similar calibre AHL players to keep the roster competitive again. So I don't particularly want anybody out the door as I think for many, whether they return or not, someone will be there to fill that role. For example, someone like Justin Bailey I think has shown that he doesn't really have what it takes to cut it at the NHL level, but if you bring him back to play in a top six spot for Abby there's nothing wrong with that at all. Petan's another guy that I was rooting for to succeed here but didn't impress despite getting a chunk of NHL games; again though, if he wants to stay local and help lead the AHL offense why not.

I'd like to see the Sheldons back though, particularly Dries as he filled in well for the big club down the stretch and was probably the best non-prospect call up we had all year. I like him as an option for spot duty next season too. Wouldn't mind seeing Chase Wouters get offered an ELC given that he showed promise in a bottom six role and stood out among some of the other younger players there. Di Giuseppe probably deserves another look, the timing of his injury cost him a chance at getting called up near the end of the season. And most of all, would definitely like to see fan favourite Yushiroh Hirano get a full-time AHL deal, been following his career for a while now and it was really nice to see him carve out a role for himself during his time here.

I can live with Petan coming back as long there is zero chance of him playing a single shift in the NHL.  His play here was simply not acceptable and he was worse than useless.  If he won't sign an AHL only contract, I'd rather bring in someone who can be called up to the NHL in an emergency situation with embarrassing himself.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I can live with Petan coming back as long there is zero chance of him playing a single shift in the NHL.  His play here was simply not acceptable and he was worse than useless.  If he won't sign an AHL only contract, I'd rather bring in someone who can be called up to the NHL in an emergency situation with embarrassing himself.

Petan should be thinking about Europe imo

35 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Didn't Karlsson break Pettersson's SHL scoring records? 

Yes, although Karlsson was 22 years old with three years of pro experience. Pettersson had his great rookie season at 20 after two partial seasons pro experience. Still excellent, though, no matter how old he is.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Bring back Breezer, Juulsen, and DiPietro.  Petan can come back only if it's a strictly AHL deal with zero chance of him disgracing the franchise by playing like complete trash at the NHL level.

I thought Sheldon Dries and Di Giuseppe (in training camp) both looked more NHL calibre than Petan - I don't see a need for Petan to get a call-up over them if they're brought back, along with Karlsson being able to play C. I'd be fine with Petan being signed to a one-way or two-way contract to keep him financially - he's amazing at the AHL lvl and from Delta, and I don't care about Aqua's $$. But, I do fear that as much as I love Boudreau as a coach, I wonder if he sees himself a little in Petan (undersized LH C with amazing jr and farm team stats who never got a full season in the NHL) and gives him unearned playtime - this is pure speculation tho... I just don't see a way Petan deserved to be on team this year. Who knows if BB was even involved in the call-up though.

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Petan should be thinking about Europe imo

I think he's basically an AHL superstar and a team with contract space will sign him to a decent two-way or minimum one-way contract, to be a contributing member of their AHL team, whether it's the Canucks or not. I think there's a good chance he'll be brought back to play a similar role to Jason Krog in the system a la 2007-2011.

32 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I thought Sheldon Dries and Di Giuseppe (in training camp) both looked more NHL calibre than Petan - I don't see a need for Petan to get a call-up over them if they're brought back, along with Karlsson being able to play C. I'd be fine with Petan being signed to a one-way or two-way contract to keep him financially - he's amazing at the AHL lvl and from Delta, and I don't care about Aqua's $$. But, I do fear that as much as I love Boudreau as a coach, I wonder if he sees himself a little in Petan (undersized LH C with amazing jr and farm team stats who never got a full season in the NHL) and gives him unearned playtime - this is pure speculation tho... I just don't see a way Petan deserved to be on team this year. Who knows if BB was even involved in the call-up though.

The NHL is super fast.  Petan might not skate as fast as some of those other guys mentioned, but he plays faster because he thinks the game quicker.  Plus, he’s got far better puck skills.  Bailey is way bigger and way faster than Petan.  He’s not an NHL player though because he processes slow and doesn’t handle the puck very well.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The NHL is super fast.  Petan might not skate as fast as some of those other guys mentioned, but he plays faster because he thinks the game quicker.  Plus, he’s got far better puck skills.  Bailey is way bigger and way faster than Petan.  He’s not an NHL player though because he processes slow and doesn’t handle the puck very well.  

I think that's a fair assessment of Bailey vs. Petan, but despite Petan's hockey sense he's pretty weak in puck battles (board and open ice) and can't really be trusted defensively or in a PK role IMO. I'm hopeful he's not within the top-5 forward emergency loan call-ups come next year.

4 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

That's my concern as well.  If Bruce is back, management needs to take away both Hunt and Petan and not replace either with a similar type.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think that's a fair assessment of Bailey vs. Petan, but despite Petan's hockey sense he's pretty weak in puck battles (board and open ice) and can't really be trusted defensively or in a PK role IMO. I'm hopeful he's not within the top-5 forward emergency loan call-ups come next year.

Sure, of course Petan isn’t an NHL player.  But him playing for us ahead of those other guys shows how bad our potential call-ups truly are.  We need better youth in Abby pushing for spots on the big club.  There’s almost no internal competition.  

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's my concern as well.  If Bruce is back, management needs to take away both Hunt and Petan and not replace either with a similar type.

If we are taking a ste back for a couple years, as JR said, then I’d like to see tough guys playing those Petan and Hunt minutes.  Don’t care if they can play all that much.  Just be tough as hell.  Reeves kind of tough.  Take Lucic for his last year, and the Flames’ second (2022) as the sweetener.