The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks may offer sheet an RFA this summer

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

We have the draft picks to make any offer sheet we like for Dobson, but you are right about cap space - NYI would match any offer we make.

Ah, we would need the picks from 2023.  Makes sense.  However, thee 2023 draft is supposed to be deep and similar to the 2003 draft, so we'd be dumb to trade any of those picks.  It would be a waste of time anyways as the Islanders would match even an 8x7 offer.

Are things working differently this year for offer sheets?  I know the dates are all screwed up still, but offer sheets this offseason would normally cost 2023 picks.

They are for picks the next year so us reacquiring our 2022 3rd round pick doesn’t seem to have anything to do with it.

Draft on July 7-8th

Signing date for RFA and UFA July 13th

That means the RFA is under contract until July 12th so can’t be given an offer sheet until after then.

That kind of takes the wind out of the whole “we might do something because we got our 2022 pick back” idea.

We could easily be a lottery team next year (say if Demko gets hurt for any length of time), so it would be dumb for us to risk missing out on Bedard by giving away our 1st.  Overpaying a middle tier player seems ill advised, teams are already walking away from decent players because of high qualifying offers.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I read that KHL FA Kuzmenko's top choice is the Oilers, but if they end up signing him, they may not be able to keep Puljujarvi, who is a RFA...

yeah, like the Oilers need another scoring forward?

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Are things working differently this year for offer sheets?  I know the dates are all screwed up still, but offer sheets this offseason would normally cost 2023 picks.

They are for picks the next year so us reacquiring our 2022 3rd round pick doesn’t seem to have anything to do with it.

Draft on July 7-8th

Signing date for RFA and UFA July 13th

That means the RFA is under contract until July 12th so can’t be given an offer sheet until after then.

That kind of takes the wind out of the whole “we might do something because we got our 2022 pick back” idea.

We could easily be a lottery team next year (say if Demko gets hurt for any length of time), so it would be dumb for us to risk missing out on Bedard by giving away our 1st.  Overpaying a middle tier player seems ill advised, teams are already walking away from decent players because of high qualifying offers.

the 1st and 3rd scenario isn't happening, but maybe this (2023) is a year where a 2nd might? Vegas is cap screwed. I'd like either of Roy or Hague here. Maybe just the offer of a 2nd or maybe even a deal like Hoglander and a 3rd? If Vegas is forced to try to match even a <4 mil offer sheet they might have to make a worse deal just for the cap room. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

the 1st and 3rd scenario isn't happening, but maybe this (2023) is a year where a 2nd might? Vegas is cap screwed. I'd like either of Roy or Hague here. Maybe just the offer of a 2nd or maybe even a deal like Hoglander and a 3rd? If Vegas is forced to try to match even a <4 mil offer sheet they might have to make a worse deal just for the cap room. 

Merek’s comment is crazy.  Has JR ever made an offer sheet?  I think you’re idea that we will trade Hoglander plus a pick to bring in another (more experienced) player is what will happen.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Merek’s comment is crazy.  Has JR ever made an offer sheet?  I think you’re idea that we will trade Hoglander plus a pick to bring in another (more experienced) player is what will happen.

Isn't he wrong? unless there's some weird offer sheet rule this year that lets us do that before the draft? 

How would you feel about a Hague for Rathbone swap? size for skill? 

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Isn't he wrong? unless there's some weird offer sheet rule this year that lets us do that before the draft? 

How would you feel about a Hague for Rathbone swap? size for skill? 

I’d make that trade.  

Hague is a left shot.  Maybe a bottom pair of Hague and Dermott?  

I’d make that trade.  

Hague is a left shot.  Maybe a bottom pair of Hague and Dermott?  

or go out and find a bigger body on the right side if we trade Brock or Garland and have some cap? Manson? 

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Manson

Hague-Myers

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

or go out and find a bigger body on the right side if we trade Brock or Garland and have some cap? Manson? 

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Manson

Hague-Myers

I think we move Myers.  Dermott can play his role, and we save 4.5 on the cap.

Hughes Manson

OEL Dermott

Hague Schenn

From our roster we lose Garland and Myers.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if JR tries to get Kapanen too.  Don’t know how though, unless that’s an offer sheet?  

• Vintage 1

I think we move Myers.  Dermott can play his role, and we save 4.5 on the cap.

Hughes Manson

OEL Dermott

Hague Schenn

From our roster we lose Garland and Myers.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if JR tries to get Kapanen too.  Don’t know how though, unless that’s an offer sheet?  

^ this works if Dermott is a placeholder for a RHD we draft in the 1st round this year.

Adding Manson and Hague are the right kind of moves for sure. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

^ this works if Dermott is a placeholder for a RHD we draft in the 1st round this year.

Adding Manson and Hague are the right kind of moves for sure. 

Not too sure Miller will accept the six year deal JR suggested is the longest term we will offer.   A Miller Trade might return a young RSD, who could move into Schenn’s role after his contract is up.  

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not too sure Miller will accept the six year deal JR suggested is the longest term we will offer.   A Miller Trade might return a young RSD, who could move into Schenn’s role after his contract is up.  

I personally don't see us being a playoff team next year with all the potential moves coming. One thing is for sure, we will recoup big time assets and have a direction that should benefit us for a long time.

I dont want us giving up any 1st next year with a strong top of the draft. 

Edited by KKnight
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How exactly are we going to offer sheet Dobson when we have less cap room then the Islanders and we don't even have enough draft picks to make an offer?

We have the draft picks.

And presumably, we'd have made other moves already. Miller and Myers out for example, and we likely have cap space 

10 hours ago, mll said:

Just can't see them prioritising Fs over Dobson with how Trotz identified injuries on D as a major issue - couldn't break out the puck of their own zone.  Dobson has really become essential.  Lamoriello says he still believes in their group and it sounded like he felt their season never got on track more for reasons beyond their control - their 1st game at home was only in late November and they ran into injuries/Covid.  Could still see them trying to make some changes up front but not at the expense of Dobson.

You're still missing the point. It's a predatory offer sheet (or at least the threat of one). What they "prioritize" doesn't really matter.

They have to respond to the action (or even the threat of potential action) regardless.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I really can’t see Dobson going anywhere. He’s so young, he’s RHD, and he’s big. Those kinds of defenseman aren’t found often. 

I think the Islanders would rather lose a good forward, than lose Dobson. 

I doubt he does too. Again, it's simply a potential negotiation lever. 

It's like none of you know how these works or how the threat of them is frequently used as trade negotiation leverage (even if no actual offer sheet is actually made) :lol:

Same goes for Hague as others have mentioned (and yes, he's likely more attainable). You don't actually need to make the offer sheet to get the player (or even a different player).. 

Edited by aGENT